Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so many shops call snooker as billiard in Singapore?

Default Why so many shops call snooker as billiard in Singapore?

coz snooker and billard is different. just like soccer and football, they are different.

Originally posted by ninelives
    just like soccer and football, they are different.
    erm...if you're referring to American Football, then it's different from Soccer, if not they are the same. It's just that in certain parts of the world, some people there insist on calling the sport, Soccer!

coz snooker and billard is different. just like soccer and football, they are different.
    Yes they are different. What you see those are called snooker and not billiard as what many shops said. Billiard is another kind which you seldom see in Singapore.

Originally posted by revenant

Yes they are different. What you see those are called snooker and not billiard as what many shops said. Billiard is another kind which you seldom see in Singapore.
    yah, I know, also ithere are lot of stupid rules dunno started by who. for example "tyco no counted", hit which ball must say 1st. hit cusion must say, double mus say, para para para...

There are no such craps in the real rule. but well, they kiasi and kiasu mah.
    Last edited by ninelives; 6th December 2002 at 02:15 AM.

yah, I know, there are lot of stupid rules dunno started by who. for example "tyco no counted", hit which ball must say 1st. hit cusion must say, double mus say, para para para...

oh, you refering to pool? I have to agree on that. Seems that everyone follow the suits. ... monkey see monkey do.
    Last edited by ninelives; 6th December 2002 at 02:16 AM.

err... yes, in pool, you actually hv to specify which ball to hit, and which pocket to enter. tht's 8-ball pool

9-ball will hv to follow the numbers on the ball.

no need lar.

only trick ball shot(on billard table) have to specfic which ball and pocket.

But I don't think there is any trick ball match in Singapore. Only USA.

yah, I know, also in SIngapore there are lot of stupid rules dunno started by who. for example "tyco no counted", hit which ball must say 1st. hit cusion must say, double mus say, para para para...

9Lives, what do you mean by 'real rule'? The 'real rule' I stick by: if I'm having fun and the people around me are enjoying, we're playing by the rules.

Loosen up guys... Don't blindly condemn everything that's Singaporean.

yah, I know, also in SIngapore there are lot of stupid rules dunno started by who. for example "tyco no counted", hit which ball must say 1st. hit cusion must say, double mus say, para para para...

if you are talking about 8-ball pool, there are such rules to indicate which pocket u want to pot. I suppose real rule refers to rules set by world pool association or billiard congress of america and yes singapore follow these sort of stupid rules.

hey as long as everyone is happy in the game, who cares unless you're in a competitive stage/environment

Originally posted by Beattitude

hey as long as everyone is happy in the game, who cares unless you're in a competitive stage/environment
    I can't agree more, dude

we played money one. How can be happy. I was playing snooker btw. I also quitted because of the so called "rules". lastly, my skill also not that good lar. comparing with fong peng chao.
    Last edited by ninelives; 6th December 2002 at 02:41 AM.

Over here where the game comes from, there doesn't seem to be a need to nominate ball or pocket for 8 ball. But then again, I don't know the specific rules, but I've never encountered this in casual play, nor have I seen it in professional tournaments, although in the latter it might well be a given that the professional is good enough to not have to nominate for each shot.

Snooker is a lovely game. I have no idea why it gets called billiards in Singapore.

in both british and american pool rules, u have to call the pocket.
    i'm sure the net has some pages on each of these sets of rules.

8 Ball Pool, 9 Ball Pool, Snooker etc are all types of Billiard Games.
    Just like Poker, Solitaire, Blackjack are types of Card Games.

Most of the games that are played at Pubs etc are 8 Ball Pool. Some pub's house rules differ but most respectable pubs stick to competition rules.

1- Designation Rule: Target ball & pocket must be called (In Pub scenario, obvious ones do not need to be unless it's a bank shot or combination shot)

2- Cushion Rule: At least 1 ball must touch the cushion after the white ball makes a first contact

3- Foul Rule: Any Foul will give opponent Ball-in-Hand where opponent gets to place the ball anywhere on the table (except for foul on initial break where ball has to be placed behind kitchen line and first contact must be after kitchen line)

4- Jump Rule: The white ball is not allowed to 'jump' above any other ball.
    Last edited by willyfoo; 6th December 2002 at 01:40 PM.

willy, honestly. I always watch ESPN and I even borrow book on billilard. There really isn't such rule.

I was shock when they say jumping is not allow.

All this debate goes no where. I only can suggest borrowing book on billiard and read the rules. Unless someone can proof me wrong, then I will admit it.

Again , only trick shot need to tell which pocket and balls. Trick shot is not play in singapore. Coz it is nearly impossible to master that skill.

Trick shot is like the balls arel put in many funny combination, you need to finish the ball in a given time. If you miss one ball, you are done.

AFAIK, "bar rules" are quite different from "competition rules". In any case, the bar pool table is also of a different size as a competition table.

Even in pool, there are more than just the 8-ball and 9-ball and American rules. A friend of mine from Mauritius told me they play by the "French rules" and both the rules and table are quite different from what you play here or in America. And my friend's brother was the Mauritian national champion

So wherever you play your pool, just make sure you know the rules being played by there to avoid an embarassment

You borrowed a Billiard Book.. the rules differ from billiard game to game... eg. Rules of snooker differ from 9 ball and 8 ball.

I play very very often, and I used to take part in competitions and also teach pool (used to teach at Grassroots Club).

If you are not sure of the rules, many of the bars have a poster stating the rules, you can check out the rules there...

There are many players in Singapore who take part in competitions and will be familiar with the rules.. just drop by any pub with good players and ask them..

Originally posted by Acieed
    AFAIK, "bar rules" are quite different from "competition rules". In any case, the bar pool table is also of a different size as a competition table.
    In Singapore, most of the bars players are familiar with the competition rules and use them..

Any table size can be used for competitions, depending on what level the competition is for.. if it's national competitions naturally the 9feet tables are used... but for many of the pub competitions, 7 or 8 feet tables are used.

Found the link to http://www.poolfanatic.com/

http://www.poolfanatic.com/knowledge/8ball.htm

4.2 CALL SHOT

In Call Shot, obvious balls and pockets do not have to be indicated. It is the opponent's right to ask which ball and pocket if he is unsure of the shot. Bank shots and combination shots are not considered obvious, and care should be taken in calling both the object ball and the intended pocket. When calling the shot, it is never necessary to indicate details such as the number of cushions, banks, kisses, caroms, etc. Any balls pocketed on a foul remain pocketed, regardless of whether they belong to the shooter or the opponent. The opening break is not a "called shot." Any player performing a break shot in 8-Ball may continue to shoot so long as any object ball is legally pocketed on the break.

4.11 LEGAL SHOT

(Defined) On all shots (except on the break and when the table is open), the shooter must hit one of his group of balls first and (1) pocket a numbered ball, or (2) cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a rail. Please Note: It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting the object ball; however, after contact with the object ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or any numbered ball must contact a rail. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast