Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing Race 3 SHIOK AH!

Originally posted by Minority

What do you expect.. maybe the Amazing Race people did not bribe the malaysia authorities that's why! They need to know how to push some under table money to get things going over there...
    beware of wat you are saying. this is an open forum. you can get yourself into trouble.

Originally posted by ckiang

Some think Singapore is in China! They seem to only know their own country....

Regards
    CK
    That's quite a common reaction from foreigners. Many of them don't even know some states exist in their own country, let alone some island city half way across the globe.

There are Singaporeans who don't even know where Johore Bahru is. So we can't expect everyone in this world to be Geographical experts, can we?

Well, I must admit we're small. Just a little red dot, yeah? Can't help but be unnoticed by people around the world...

Regarding those little printing machines, they DO exist in Singapore. But not so common, I guess. I've come across some of these. Look exactly the same as the one in KL.

Yes, Flo's an A1 bitch. Zach should just dump her, join hands with the twin who's not always hanging around Flo, and go on to win the race together with the 2 balding brothers. Meantime, Flo and that twin can go some corner, forget about TAR and frolick in their own little haven.

Originally posted by Flyer

I record every episode on my PC. Already got requests from a few CS'ers. PM me if you want a copy. It'll only cost you the price of the blank CD-R.
    Thanks man! Will try to catch the Sunday repeat, if miss again, then must come back and look for you.

Flyer
    Guests

Originally posted by Acieed

Thanks man! Will try to catch the Sunday repeat, if miss again, then must come back and look for you.
    No problem, it's an open invitation to all...

Originally posted by ninelives

beware of wat you are saying. this is an open forum. you can get yourself into trouble.
    Yes the world is watching.....

Originally posted by rayman

That's quite a common reaction from foreigners. Many of them don't even know some states exist in their own country, let alone some island city half way across the globe.

There are Singaporeans who don't even know where Johore Bahru is. So we can't expect everyone in this world to be Geographical experts, can we?

Well, I must admit we're small. Just a little red dot, yeah? Can't help but be unnoticed by people around the world...

Regarding those little printing machines, they DO exist in Singapore. But not so common, I guess. I've come across some of these. Look exactly the same as the one in KL.

Yes, Flo's an A1 bitch. Zach should just dump her, join hands with the twin who's not always hanging around Flo, and go on to win the race together with the 2 balding brothers. Meantime, Flo and that twin can go some corner, forget about TAR and frolick in their own little haven.
    Good comment! The balding brothers ROCKz. Seldom fight, ALWAYS super funny, an enjoyment to watch them play. Should let them win. They deserve it.
    Canon Lover :)

the world is watching?
    good. then i hope the spore tourism board folks are reading this ------>

why in the world did they choose phua chu kang cum gurmit singh as spore's 'ambassador' ?
    that segment was totally done in poor taste.
    like the rest of the world will find PCK and his singlish funny.
    like they will be impressed by his antics.
    i felt so embarrassed for spore while watching that episode.

AND

places of interest in spore may pale in comparision to those in other parts of the world BUT there're surely many pther better locations than Chua Chu Kang. yucks.

While I was watching it, I was also praying that they could run into some Good English Speaking Singaporeans to help them out.

Originally posted by wildhoney
    the world is watching?
    good. then i hope the spore tourism board folks are reading this ------>

why in the world did they choose phua chu kang cum gurmit singh as spore's 'ambassador' ?
    that segment was totally done in poor taste.
    like the rest of the world will find PCK and his singlish funny.
    like they will be impressed by his antics.
    i felt so embarrassed for spore while watching that episode.

AND

places of interest in spore may pale in comparision to those in other parts of the world BUT there're surely many pther better locations than Chua Chu Kang. yucks.
    Wildhoney, I'm sure you'll find this thread most interesting.

Originally posted by JaDe
    Sigh...i'm afraid this will give the unknowing European an image of Singapore being those "Cheapo country" like alot others where Singapore is already so much ahead...
    it doesnt matter, since most foreigners think Singapore's in China

Do you guys really look down on Singapore?

In fact I find the Phua Chu Kang scene and the other Singaporeans whom happen to be on the show, true to themselves.

Whats the point of hiding. If the foreigners want us to act like them, it shows that we are already feeling inferior about our ownselves. How can we achieve bigger things in the future.

Its not as though they cannot see for themselves that Gurmit Singh is a TV star and is potraying a tv character. Hell, if I see other countries in their own accent, their own antics on tv, I'll on the other hand look up on the country for not masking their true culture.

Overall, I think there's nothing wrong with them speaking Singlish to the ang mohs, after all, that's what the majority of Singaporeans do. I mean, look, you didn't see those Germans trying to speak English in perfect grammar or in an American accent.

Just be natural. Want to speak good English? Then slowly learn and improve, not an overnight change just for a TV show.

Originally posted by Acieed
    Overall, I think there's nothing wrong with them speaking Singlish to the ang mohs, after all, that's what the majority of Singaporeans do. I mean, look, you didn't see those Germans trying to speak English in perfect grammar or in an American accent.

Just be natural. Want to speak good English? Then slowly learn and improve, not an overnight change just for a TV show.
    In the first place, our signs in Singapore also doesn't have good english. Some examples:

1. No Outside Food Allow (sic) In This (sic) Premise (sic)
    2. In a stairway leading underground : Beware of your head (love this one)
    3. Unauthorise (sic) parking will be wheel clamp (sic)
    4. Apologize (sic) for the inconvenience caused
    5. In Sales : Jean/Pant/Short (sic) : $50
    6. In an van's ad, about some drink "So good you can taste the different (sic)"
    7. In a Chee Cheong Fun shop > 10 years back, the sign says "Pig Long Powder" or something.

So what's the big fuss about Singlish on TV? We are already inundated with bad english all over in Singapore, and no one is complaining!

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

In the first place, our signs in Singapore also doesn't have good english. Some examples:

1. No Outside Food Allow (sic) In This (sic) Premise (sic)
    2. In a stairway leading underground : Beware of your head (love this one)
    3. Unauthorise (sic) parking will be wheel clamp (sic)
    4. Apologize (sic) for the inconvenience caused
    5. In Sales : Jean/Pant/Short (sic) : $50
    6. In an van's ad, about some drink "So good you can taste the different (sic)"
    7. In a Chee Cheong Fun shop > 10 years back, the sign says "Pig Long Powder" or something.

So what's the big fuss about Singlish on TV? We are already inundated with bad english all over in Singapore, and no one is complaining!

Regards
    CK
    This makes singapore distinct
    Canon Lover :)

Originally posted by Klause

This makes singapore distinct
    Cute thing is no one complains about these badly worded signs but so many people complain about Singlish and poor english on TV....

Regards
    CK

There is nothing distinct about grammatical errors on signs. Badly phrased notices and grammatical errors are easy to find in countries like Malaysia, China, and around S.E Asia.
    Neither do these signs give us the excuse to use ' bad english'.

The thing about PCK is, that he is not an accurate depiction of the typical SIngaporean. The extent of his usage of Singlish and 'slang' is really quite incomparable to that of the typical Singaporean.

Perhaps the less educated bengs and lians. Perhaps the ah pecks on the street. The hawkers. The road sweepers. The contractors. The karaoke hostesses. The older generation to whom English is more like a foreign tongue.

Majority of Singaporeans don't sound as bad naturally as PCK in the first place. Singlish is commonly heard in Singapore. Many of us use Singlish but most of the time only to spice up conversations or when we feel too lazy to express ourselves otherwise.

It's not a matter of hiding or acting naturally.
    PCK is just not an accurate representation of the typical Singaporean. PErhaps maybe the blue-collar worker, yes, but definitely not the white.

dunno why we so self depreciating ....

any british complain that mr. bean is not a good representation of the british ?

any australian complain that crocodile hunter is not a good representation of the australian ?

if the amazing race people are asking directions in XXX place they might get these type of resonse

New york "you know whatch I'm saying ?.. down the road man... you know what I say ? man ?"

Jamaica " " (err.. you know what I mean by the Jamaican "MON MON" type of talking)

Hong Kong "" cantonese accent

every country have their own accent and localized version of english... I don't see why are we so ashamed of it.... hmmmmmmmmm.......

but then again I felt PCK was a pretty stupid choice.... like what was written to the papers, other countries try to show part of their culture, but we use it to "ADVERTISE" !!!! MUST EVERYTHING BE LINKED TO MONEY IN SINGAPORE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyhing is manufactured for money..... can't the "REAL" singapore come through ? every change much be used to gain mileage for money ? Haiz

damn lame pea brains..........

Manufactured Singapore
    - merlion
    I believe there are enought local legends to use.... why invent one ? Bukit Merah sword fish legend comes to mind...

- fountain of wealth ? locals believe that it bring fortune ? but the fountain was just built within the last decade.. so this myth must be a manufactured one too !!

rgs
    rueyloon
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Actually, the thing with the fountain of wealth, I think the belief come because of the way suntec city was build.

Feng Shui if you may call it, the five fingers and the fountain being the palm.

Originally posted by rueyloon
    - fountain of wealth ? locals believe that it bring fortune ? but the fountain was just built within the last decade.. so this myth must be a manufactured one too !!

rgs
    rueyloon

suntec owned by Li Jia Chen(HK tycoon). he consulted geomancy expert when builting the fountain.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast