Thread: Filter stuck....

Default Filter stuck....

Heeelllppp.....I cant remove filter from one of my lens. Seems to be stuck there. Any tips on how to unscrew the filter ?? Send to shop ??

Default Re: Filter stuck....

Many eons ago on an outing, I saw someone used the old rubberband trick and it worked.

Put the lens in the fridge for 5 mins then try to take it off.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Put a piece of those non slip sponge mat on the table, place your lens aim down with the filter press on the mat, turn you lens to unscrew the filter. You can put a piece of whatever to prevent the glass of filter contacting the sponge.

If all else fails, buy a filter wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by scandisk
    Heeelllppp.....I cant remove filter from one of my lens. Seems to be stuck there. Any tips on how to unscrew the filter ?? Send to shop ??

An old friend of mine who ran a studio swore by WD40 to remove stuck filters. Apply small amount CAREFULLY and wait for about half an hour. Don't blame me if you flood your camera with oil

I have tried before. WD40 won't work on plastic.

sometimes, give the filter frame a controlled knocking at the circumference of the frame might help loosen

It happened to me once. Asked the shop at Peninsula Plaza, the one just beside Cathay, which sells 2nd hand lenses. The guy wanted a cutthroat price of $50 to take out the filter for me.

I took it to the shop at Prinsep Place (at Sunshine Plaza) opposite Loke Wan Tho Bldg where PSS is located.... Camera Workshop or something like that... can't rem name. The kind gentleman said no charge but I gave him $30

1) put your palm over the filter, press it lightly and turn, sometimes it works, other times, it hurt your palm;

2) tie a rubber band over the filter ring to act as grip, provided there is enough space for the rubber band;

3) using a plier to grip the ring of the filter to turn it;

just some of the ways I did before.

i had about 4-5 cuts on my fingers and palms the last time my UV filter got stuck to my lens adaptor... -_-" finally gotten it out after wrangling with it...

Go to a department store like Metro, Seiyu or Isetan and head for the household section where they sell can openers, knives, etc. Look for a hand-held appliance called a jar opener. They generally look like a giant nut cracker. You use it to grip the filter and turn it anti-clockwise to remove it.