Thread: Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III review

Default Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III review

Bought the scanner this afternoon, installed it and ran a few test slides thru it. To summarize my review of the scanner - Love at first sight!!!

Now to the details:

1. Installation: A breeze. Took me 15 mins from the time I entered my room to the time the time I was ready to insert my first slide.

2. Software: Started with DS dual 3 easy, quickly skipped it and turned on DS dual3. A fabulous software! Very intuitive! Has every control you may need and more - Levels, curves, USM, HSL, etc etc - basically ALL the photoshop tools one generally uses. Uses a 3 step process to scan - 1st step is index scan. generates very low res images just so that u can indentify it, then a prescan of slightly higher res that is used to adjust image exposure, curves etc and then final scan. Quite nifty and VERY powerful. Don't think I will ever use vuescan again!

3. Image quality: FABULOUS! Started with 2 very difficult slides (displayed below). Both very contrasty - first taken in sun using Ektachrome VS. Using earlier scanner, shadow details too difficult to extract. With this it was a breeze. on the 2nd photo of the flower, with my prev scanner, had to choose between correctly representing the curved green leaf on the right and the texture on the white flower. Again this one made it so easy I was wondering what the prob earlier was. As for colours, they were perfect! Tried another slide of a yellow flower with a green background. With the previous scanner, the blue channel was so noisy the green background turned blue! Had to delete the blue channel to restore any semblance of normalcy. With this scanner, again what I see on the slide was EXACTLY what I got! Even if it had such good colours and nothing else besides I wd still have bought the scanner! Needs almost no colour correction. And this is true even of a negative that I tried!!
    Here are the samples -
    Sample 1
    Sample 2

Negative points - the dust brush sucks. Better leave it off - has almost no effect on dust and probably only degrades image. So ICE lovers have one reason to dislike the scanner.

4. Speed - am using USB1.1 so cant really comment. But seemed fast to me anyway. Am sure with USB2.0 this will be real good.

In short, dont know whether to laugh or cry - laugh because it is so good and cry because I know I am going to spend the next 2 months scanning my old slides again!

Buy Buy Buy!
    Last edited by Radix Lecti; 4th December 2002 at 11:10 PM.

yoz... the small scans look damn good.. got bigger scales?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

I would have.. But too large!! As a compromise, I have posted approx 2.5 Mega pixel version of the first one here
    Sample 1 (~800KB)

(Saved as Jpeg with quality 80 - around 800 kb size) -

Sample 2 looks a bit 'soft' or out-of-focus. How was the original? Does the scanner have manual focus of sorts? Otherwise the colours looks good.

I'm still rather new to film scanning, and hope to make my first purchase soon. Got a whole stack of negs & slides to digitize.

Thanks very much for posting the reviews and samples.

-ptl-

Originally posted by Radix Lecti
    I would have.. But too large!! As a compromise, I have posted approx 2.5 Mega pixel version of the first one here
    Sample 1 (~800KB)

(Saved as Jpeg with quality 80 - around 800 kb size) -
    this is a 25%?
    hmmm looks sweet but can actually see the dust specks...

So you bought it @ how much and from where?

550 at CP

What's the best way to clean your negatives before scanning? Do you just use a blower and brush or is there some special cloth and solution that's more effective?

Sample 2 is a close up - so I guess is a bit soft because I guess I didn't really provide for an adequate depth of field. More importantly, I did absolutely no post-processing (No USM). However good a scanner, there is always a slight loss of sharpness in the scanning process which can be very easily rectified with a little bit of USM.

As for focus - Scan DUal III provides for focussing in two modes - Auto focussing on a point of your choice. 2. Manual (quite neat). It is software driven. As you focus, 2 sliders indicate the extent of current focus versus the maximum obtained! So focussing is never an issue. Anyway I have felt focussing of scanner has never really been a problem unless you -ve is really curved. Otherwise all points on a slide anyway on a single plane and the depth-of-field of the optical system of the scanner is seldom a problem. And Dimage's slide strip holder is quite neat as well - keeps the film quite flat.

Originally posted by Radix Lecti
    Sample 2 is a close up - so I guess is a bit soft because I guess I didn't really provide for an adequate depth of field. More importantly, I did absolutely no post-processing (No USM). However good a scanner, there is always a slight loss of sharpness in the scanning process which can be very easily rectified with a little bit of USM.

As for focus - Scan DUal III provides for focussing in two modes - Auto focussing on a point of your choice. 2. Manual (quite neat). It is software driven. As you focus, 2 sliders indicate the extent of current focus versus the maximum obtained! So focussing is never an issue. Anyway I have felt focussing of scanner has never really been a problem unless you -ve is really curved. Otherwise all points on a slide anyway on a single plane and the depth-of-field of the optical system of the scanner is seldom a problem. And Dimage's slide strip holder is quite neat as well - keeps the film quite flat.
    Okay. I guess it's fine with me. Looks like a pretty good scanner for the price.

Would a software post processing (PS or something cheaper) do as good a job as ICE? I always associate in-built post-processing as undesirable or insufficient, but seems that many like the implementation of ICE on their film scanners. Is it really such a deciding factor? This is noting that this scanner doesn't have ICE.

Thanks.

-ptl-

Well.. the best method of course if to use healing brush of PS7 to clone out all the dust and scratches. Nothing can beat that and if you take care to use a brush to wipe off the dust before scanning, this shouldnt take too much time.

ICE probably isnt too badm but my wallet says that paying a premium of 500-600 SGD for just that one feature is a bit excessive.

nope... becos ICE uses a focus shift to see if the dust is 3d..
    so 3d --> dust --> remove....
    software just median out what it thinks is dust.. i.e. small birds and freckles.. hmmm freckles.. good approach LOL

anyway had been thinking since the III has manual focus...

is this possible?
    1. do a preview on a dust spot...
    2. adjust MF until it's sharp... scan this sharp-dirt-blur-image
    3. in PS do a high pass to remove the image,
    4. left with sharp dots of scanned dirt.
    5. select them, enlarge by a bit,
    6. use the selection on a normal image scan copy.
    7. median or blur the selection
    8. u shd get a layer of colour dots where the dirt are
    9. use this either as an inverse mask or just apply it on top of the image.
    manual ICE.

Denizenx,
    I am not sure ICE works in that way. As far as I know, ICE uses an infa-red channel - slides and negatives are transparent to infra-red and dust ain't. So this infra-red channel is used to create a mask that is used to remove the dust. Again, I might be completely wrong here. I always thought that was the mechanism. But if what you are saying is true, your system might possibly work. I will try to read up on ICE and if u are right, will try ur procedure at home to see if it works.

hehe I wanted to try it... but no scanner..

with my digicam I use it to "scan" textures...

Hmmm... from both concepts (IR & 3D method) viewpoint, I can see how ICE can be (much) better than PS post-processing, furthermore the process is automated at scanning instance, some time saving when archiving many slides/film.

But at $400-500 premium, is rather steep.

What's the street price for a Benq Scanwit 2740S? Does CP carry it, or AP?

You guys have been very helpful, really appreciate it!

Thanks.

-ptl-

I disagree ptlee... ICE does save a LOT of time in post-processing. But remember it does screw up scanning time which possibly can be used to do manual cleaning-up. And if you read most reviews, it does make the image slightly softer and doesnt remove all dust. If you need to do critical work, there cannot be an alternative to the healing brush. Everytime I print larger than A5, I prefer going over the entire image with this .

Anyway, more often than not, the dust appears in the sky/bright areas and I generally select and apply gaussian blur/Dust and scratches in this area anyway in order to reduce grain which is most apparent in this area as well. Of course, I am not saying ICE is useless!!! Can be bloody useful in many cases. Just that one needs that XXL wallet in order to get one with ICE.

True true, nothing beats removing the source of the problem itself.

Guess it's a tradeoff / compromise. Does ICE really screw up the scanning times that much?

I will be doing some brushing naturally, just that I hope to save on the tedious scrutinizing by using ICE, some specks are small and tedious to remove, and my eyes gets rather tired focusing, which is why I'm glad for USM autofocusing by Canon, but that's another story.

Just found out that the Scanwit is $600 w/o ICE and about $800 w ICE, sounds like a good deal. The reviews were rather favourable too.

Still haven't quite decided, doing some initial research now to identify several targets, and my requirements, before spending the money.

Thanks.

-ptl-
    Last edited by ptlee; 5th December 2002 at 01:37 PM.

Originally posted by ptlee
    Hmmm... from both concepts (IR & 3D method) viewpoint, I can see how ICE can be (much) better than PS post-processing, furthermore the process is automated at scanning instance, some time saving when archiving many slides/film.

But at $400-500 premium, is rather steep.

What's the street price for a Benq Scanwit 2740S? Does CP carry it, or AP?

You guys have been very helpful, really appreciate it!

Thanks.

-ptl-
    about 800

well at 600 might as well get this III...
    ICE is good lah if u want to scan in bulk for normal shots and be done with it..

ICE takes an extra pass by itself at FULL res..