Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S$20 levy to enter M'sia?

Default Re: S$20 levy to enter M'sia?

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Have you ever been to Beijing to breathe its polluted air? Driving an MPV, my petrol bill every month is humongous. But if the trade-off is clean air for my children, I am happy to accept high petrol prices.
    compare that against the same make of vehicle to the price of fuel you pay...

the by products of industrialisation are these, you either have to bear with it, earn your keep, or just give up everything & go to country side to do farming... no offense... but thats how i feel.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

you forgot to add, if their people working in Singapore earns too much , as compared to their peers back at home.

We also kena blamed and retribution (like this RM20 thingy lah).

Seriously, we should all drive a van (diesel no tax lor), save the road tax etc etc. Take our weekends where Jetstar & Tiger flies to. It will resolve the entire issue altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Actually, we are in a no-win situation. If their roads get chocked with traffic, they blame it on us. If the price of things there go up, the ppl there blame it on us pushing it up too. If the business there get worse, they blame it on Singaporeans not patronising them which they attributed to the negative image protrayed by our local press especially those robberies involving Singaporeans. Damn, if we do. Damn, if we don't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    compare that against the same make of vehicle to the price of fuel you pay...

the by products of industrialisation are these, you either have to bear with it, earn your keep, or just give up everything & go to country side to do farming... no offense... but thats how i feel.
    I'm not trying to make a direct comparison to China, they have chosen their our way of developing, as is their right, so good luck! The point I'm trying to make is that none of this is "free". Yes, we talk about cheap petrol, but cheap petrol engenders irresponsible usage. Irresponsible usage engenders dependency, on unstable oil-rich middle eastern countries. Irresponsible usage causes damage to the environment. There are a whole myriad of political, social, environmental and economic costs to oil dependency. We all shout "Cheap Petrol!", but anybody sit down and consider the implications?

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    no matter how much the JB govt charge S'pore-registered cars from entering JB, Singaporeans will still flock to JB for cheap seafood, chic shopping and well.. "entertainment"... RM$20 is no big deal to entertainment-seeking S'poreans..
    This was the arguement posted by the Malaysian minister. "If you can afford to come for holiday, another RM20 won't be an issue."

If motorcycle is RM4, then that it lah.... I will need to upgrade to a bigger bike wit a bigger fuel tank. Come back can sell my in-tank petrol...

I think the author misunderstood, it is S$4 for bikes coming into Singapore.
    Last edited by Lensman; 3rd April 2006 at 01:28 PM.

As i recall, the real reason for the VEP (vehicle entry permit) was becoz we don't have that much road and space.

They are also given certain number of free weekday entry per year...

You will remember seeing those MY plated carz in Singapore roads during their holidays eg 31Aug etc etc. Suddenly, the road seems more congested than usual. ERP, S$ or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    Singapore had been charging S$30 per car for a few years until recently that they drop to S$20 for weekdays. Weekends is free. but you still have to pay toll charge depending on Woodlands or 2nd Link.

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    I believe the most xiong one is those Malaysian Singapore PR, stay in JB, work in Singapore.
    They need to in out Malaysia custom every day

5 days week. RM $20 * 5 = RM $100
    1 mth will be RM$400 which is S$180 est
    These are the hard-working malaysian-chinese that are going to be hit badly.

Quote Originally Posted by shyanyap
    These are the hard-working malaysian-chinese that are going to be hit badly.

Most of them came by bikes. and it no difference to them if they drive because this ruling is for "foriegn Vehicles". Malaysian cars is not Foriegn Vehicles to Malaysia.

Those hit will be all those who drives Singapore registered cars. Some Singaporean stays in JB and drove in-out daily. I remembered reading one article saying one Lecturer in NUS or something bouight a Landed property with hugh garden somewhere near the 2nd link and drove in to work daily. He wants to enjoy the cheap property there. I think it was reported about 2 years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    At the end...both side gov made money....their people sandwitch in between and have to Pay And Pay, ....then every few years, these money will be given out as election ang pao again
    I think you're getting it wrong here. As explained by the government and Singapore's reputable independent press, you get the ang pao because the economy is doing so well. That it happens to be an election year is purely coincidental.

Why should the price of petrol be lowered? To encourage greater dependency on oil-rich middle eastern countries? To encourage greater car usage at the expense of the environment? SG produces no petroleum of its own, so money is already going out of Singapore with every cent of petrol you buy. At least with a tax on petrol some public good came come of petrol consumption.
    U can volunteer to pay extra premium for petrol if you want, I am also a car user and if the price of petrol can come down I would be happy about it.

They have already use the COE system to discourage car buyers from over population. So those already paid the premium of 30K-60K for a piece of paper to have ownership would be happy to use high petrol prices?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    U can volunteer to pay extra premium for petrol if you want, I am also a car user and if the price of petrol can come down I would be happy about it.

They have already use the COE system to discourage car buyers from over population. So those already paid the premium of 30K-60K for a piece of paper to have ownership would be happy to use high petrol prices?
    There is a difference between what is right and what is expedient. The expedient thing for the government is to bring down the tax on petrol, heck, maybe even subsidise its use like in malaysia, which I am sure will bring it many votes at the next election. The right thing to do, on the other hand, is to ensure that the true "cost" of petrol usage is factored into its price, i.e. environmental impact, political costs etc

As your by-line says; "Be a Man, do the Right thing."

There is a difference between what is right and what is expedient. The expedient thing for the government is to bring down the tax on petrol, heck, maybe even subsidise its use like in malaysia, which I am sure will bring it many votes at the next election. The right thing to do, on the other hand, is to ensure that the true "cost" of petrol usage is factored into its price, i.e. environmental impact, political costs etc

As your by-line says; "Be a Man, do the Right thing."
    Well I would agree and disagree on your point, yes we should ALL do the right thing (as my signature says) use more public transport, save the earth, go green, etc...on the other hand, a person who has already bought an over-priced vehicle with a riduculously priced piece of paper to own it has already, i believe, paid for the enviroment related issues and so forth..my personal gripe with petrol prices is every time there is a hike is due to war, after the war why does'nt the price come down? I think it is more coparate greed than saying "To save the enviroment you have to pay premium for petrol" as an excuse. And not to forget, SG processes crude oil and sells it to thier neighbours too. my 2 cents thoughts...
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

No difference if need to pay levy or not cause..its still cheap going there..Dun tink tis can stop those drivers from continuing their trip there also.. but 1st thing that came into my mind is that i hope the traffic jam can be reduced on peak hours when i heard the news in ch8. Hope more ppl will change their mind ans take buses there instead of driving but dun tink that will come true.
    Wat u guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by newbiegrapher
    No difference if need to pay levy or not cause..its still cheap going there..Dun tink tis can stop those drivers from continuing their trip there also.. but 1st thing that came into my mind is that i hope the traffic jam can be reduced on peak hours when i heard the news in ch8. Hope more ppl will change their mind ans take buses there instead of driving but dun tink that will come true.
    Wat u guys think ?
    i remember 2 incident on 2 different person with 2 different mindset, which contradict each other...

1, when going thru the ERP gantry twice or more a day, the person say, its convenience, i dun mind paying abit more...

2, person park along the road waiting for ppl, so that can save the 1 buck parking fee...

so owning cars... but some skimp & save, while some just spend like usual... get the point? yi zong mi, yang bai zong ren... some will go, some will stay...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    The RM20 will not deter anyone going to JB. Singapore had been charging S$30 per car for a few years until recently that they drop to S$20 for weekdays. Weekends is free. but you still have to pay toll charge depending on Woodlands or 2nd Link.

What is RM20? Its only S$8.80. If S$20 cannot deter the Malaysian who earns on average 1/3 of what singaporean do, how will S$8.80 deter Singaporeans who earns 3X more on average from going to JB. And the traffic will not change. Why, because most of the jams are caused by malaysian motocycles and malaysian cars during the peak hours. Singapore Cars only causes Jams on Friday evenings and Sunday night as most Singaporean goes over to Malaysia for the weekends. Other times are the holidays seasons.

Just my 2 sen thought.

Exactly my points too.. Well said pal!

So the RM20 is for per entry? Still much cheaper than the S$20 daily (for weekdays) SG impose on M'sia cars. As reported in the news, the golfers would still continue to cross the border despite the levy, as it is not significant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123