Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S$20 levy to enter M'sia?

Default Re: S$20 levy to enter M'sia?

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    If they want to impose a RM20 levy on Sg cars, good luck to them. Imagine the number of Sg going to Johor will drop drastically and their economy will be badly affected. What Johor is today is a result of Singaporean pumping millions into their economy daily thru our spending there. Actually, we are in a no-win situation. If their roads get chocked with traffic, they blame it on us. If the price of things there go up, the ppl there blame it on us pushing it up too. If the business there get worse, they blame it on Singaporeans not patronising them which they attributed to the negative image protrayed by our local press especially those robberies involving Singaporeans. Damn, if we do. Damn, if we don't do.
    Carrefour, Giant, Seafood restaurant, car accessories shop, tourist attractions site, petrol station will take a hit right to the nose.

Arrow Re: S$20 levy to enter M'sia?

Even if it is RM$50, Singaporean will still go to Malaysia as there is no other place to go.

I believe that the number of Singaporean will not decline with the introduction of the levy.

Now, if only the SINGAPORE ICA will open lanes for only Singapore plate motorcycle, that's another story.

no matter how much the JB govt charge S'pore-registered cars from entering JB, Singaporeans will still flock to JB for cheap seafood, chic shopping and well.. "entertainment"... RM$20 is no big deal to entertainment-seeking S'poreans..

not bad liao lar, my van cannot enter Malaysia at all

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    If they want to impose a RM20 levy on Sg cars, good luck to them. Imagine the number of Sg going to Johor will drop drastically and their economy will be badly affected. What Johor is today is a result of Singaporean pumping millions into their economy daily thru our spending there. Actually, we are in a no-win situation. If their roads get chocked with traffic, they blame it on us. If the price of things there go up, the ppl there blame it on us pushing it up too. If the business there get worse, they blame it on Singaporeans not patronising them which they attributed to the negative image protrayed by our local press especially those robberies involving Singaporeans. Damn, if we do. Damn, if we don't do.
    Oh please, how about the large number of Malaysians coming to Singapore and spending $ at Orchard Road etc? Or the millions of ringgit on fuel subsidies the Malaysia govt pumps in for locals which Singaporeans take up by pumping petrol in Malaysia? Open your eyes, the flow of money isn't a 1-way traffic. Besides, as pointed out, Singapore imposes a SGD20 per DAY levy on foreign-registered vehicles since donkey years ago, so there's really nothing to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    no matter how much the JB govt charge S'pore-registered cars from entering JB, Singaporeans will still flock to JB for cheap seafood, chic shopping and well.. "entertainment"... RM$20 is no big deal to entertainment-seeking S'poreans..
    Try charging RM$100 and you will see a sharp drop in Singaporean going in.
    Singaporean will think twice whenever their pocket are hit.....
    除了爱, 我一无所有

At the end...both side gov made money....their people sandwitch in between and have to Pay And Pay, ....then every few years, these money will be given out as election ang pao again.....so their people happy again....and become forgetful and vote for them

that's not even S$10 for us.. it wont really affect much traffic flow across causeway i think (for pple who r driving)..

they think we're rich? ... n for RM20 toll fees?....for those who doesnt know and grumble about RM20.... again.... we're actually the one who introduce a S$20 toll fees quite sometimes back, malaysian cars had been driving into singapore roads paying this amount everyday.. I've got frds stuck here for a month and has to pay (1 month x weekday x S$20 = ... ) a hefy sum for their trip...

when a country wants to generate more revenue from foreign vehicles, so does the other countries.. in fact i find it quite fair.... when we hav to, u hav to blame the one who started it first.... bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    Try charging RM$100 and you will see a sharp drop in Singaporean going in.
    Singaporean will think twice whenever their pocket are hit.....
    I tell you lah.... if that levy really hurts their business, they will come out with some scheme to reimburse you the $$$ if you spend above a certain amount in their stores... at the end of the day it will boost the retail industry even more...

I'm thinking this policy will be lifted once the Johor state government lobbies again to the Fed.

They need our money much more than we need theirs from the vehicle levy.This is reality.IF they see a substantial dive in customers..it will happen.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    I'm thinking this policy will be lifted once the Johor state government lobbies again to the Fed.

They need our money much more than we need theirs from the vehicle levy.This is reality.IF they see a substantial dive in customers..it will happen.
    For ppl that drive in to Johor to shop, eat, entertain and visit friends, they will still drive in with RM20. For ppl that drive in just to pump patrol, these are the ppl that will stop drive in and hence reduce the traffic jam at Causeway.

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    just wait till singapore does the same to them! and it's 20SGD! hehehehe
    Erm.. it is already happening. Here is the article:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...201201/1/.html

Cheers.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

1) Singapore levy on Malaysian cars:

Singapore levies a toll because the cost of car ownership in S'pore is a lot higher than it is in Malaysia. Can you imagine the complaints from Singaporeans if there WASN'T such a toll? Flood of Malaysian registered vehicles on Singapore roads paying 1/3rd the cost of Singaporean registered ones. It is not to bilk Malaysian drivers.

2) Malaysian Levy on Singapore cars:

Very simple, don't like it, don't go. I absolutely avoid going into Malaysia unless I really have to.

I believe the most xiong one is those Malaysian Singapore PR, stay in JB, work in Singapore.
    They need to in out Malaysia custom every day

5 days week. RM $20 * 5 = RM $100
    1 mth will be RM$400 which is S$180 est

The RM20 will not deter anyone going to JB. Singapore had been charging S$30 per car for a few years until recently that they drop to S$20 for weekdays. Weekends is free. but you still have to pay toll charge depending on Woodlands or 2nd Link.

What is RM20? Its only S$8.80. If S$20 cannot deter the Malaysian who earns on average 1/3 of what singaporean do, how will S$8.80 deter Singaporeans who earns 3X more on average from going to JB. And the traffic will not change. Why, because most of the jams are caused by malaysian motocycles and malaysian cars during the peak hours. Singapore Cars only causes Jams on Friday evenings and Sunday night as most Singaporean goes over to Malaysia for the weekends. Other times are the holidays seasons.

Just my 2 sen thought.

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    I believe the most xiong one is those Malaysian Singapore PR, stay in JB, work in Singapore.
    They need to in out Malaysia custom every day

5 days week. RM $20 * 5 = RM $100
    1 mth will be RM$400 which is S$180 est
    err... lidat rent a place in sg better rite...

anyway, i rather support this move... think of it tis way... u win some, u lose some, i dun like to get stuck in jams, if there is a way to pay & skip the jam, i dun mind... since i dun go there so often anyway... and from economics point of view, they are solving a problem of their own, imagine their fuel prices are so cheap, compared to singapore, so sg ppl go into malaysia to pump their petrol, making shortage of fuel, and there is demand over supply, and prices increase, so if they dun 'stop' sg ppl from doing that, i think their ppl will riot... so they now 1 stone hit 2 birds... or maybe even more...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I think SG should just lower the bloody price of petrol... solve the problem of money going out of SG..
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    I think SG should just lower the bloody price of petrol... solve the problem of money going out of SG..
    ya... imagine car stationary also have to drink fuel... damnit... China fuel also damn cheap man... cheap until its unbelievable... sg fuel price is atriocious...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    Why should the price of petrol be lowered? To encourage greater dependency on oil-rich middle eastern countries? To encourage greater car usage at the expense of the environment? SG produces no petroleum of its own, so money is already going out of Singapore with every cent of petrol you buy. At least with a tax on petrol some public good came come of petrol consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    ya... imagine car stationary also have to drink fuel... damnit... China fuel also damn cheap man... cheap until its unbelievable... sg fuel price is atriocious...
    Have you ever been to Beijing to breathe its polluted air? Driving an MPV, my petrol bill every month is humongous. But if the trade-off is clean air for my children, I am happy to accept high petrol prices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast