Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    yestersday i was at clifford pier witness and reflecting on its former glory as our historic "RED LIGHT" wharf ending its days serving thousands or millions of singaporean.
    as usual, taking photos and just slowly sit and look at the place... other fellow photographers are around too..taking photos here n there.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
    Or is it just singaporean culture being very stressed by the work and other stuff that took away our smile too?
    Just some thought in my mind..thats all.

    Those offended by this post, pls just press the "back" icon.. dun post unncessary rude comments.

    Cheers..

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    is this your 1st time in singapore?

    well if you smile at me, i'll def smile back at you
    maybe a cup of coffee at the nearby coffee stall

    cheer up, not everyone is friendly

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by boen
    yestersday i was at clifford pier witness and reflecting on its former glory as our historic "RED LIGHT" wharf ending its days serving thousands or millions of singaporean.
    as usual, taking photos and just slowly sit and look at the place... other fellow photographers are around too..taking photos here n there.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
    Or is it just singaporean culture being very stressed by the work and other stuff that took away our smile too?
    Just some thought in my mind..thats all.

    Those offended by this post, pls just press the "back" icon.. dun post unncessary rude comments.

    Cheers..
    I dont think this has anything to do with photography, its more the attitude of the average singaporean, myself not being one i tend to smile at people when they walk past and you get that "eye contact" but you never really see singaporeans doing the same. Maybe they just dont care or they are trying to be rude, who knows?

    From an outsiders point of view singaporeans do come across as rude and inconsiderate.

    Of course this is a very generalistic statement and many people will not fit into it, however it is my observation.

    Those offended just do what boen has said and click back

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    haha..
    i'm a singaporean...
    just hope everyone can be less tense.. less stress then can enjoy what u doing.
    was talking to the security guy at clifford pier, he showed me where to take the best shot, some memorable icons of clifford pier...and hes a photographer in his younger days too.
    when u smile, u can rewards of some kind..for my instance i get to know his story of working in the pier for 30years and seeing his sad expression when he talk about leaving the pier is something that makes me feel connected to the Hong Deng Ma Taou...(Red light wharf)

  5. #5

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    weird, but i tend to smile at other photographers whom might be covering the same event...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by dragos
    weird, but i tend to smile at other photographers whom might be covering the same event...
    haha.. maybe i was unluncky then.. haiz..

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by boen
    .. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
    You must understand that photography is a stressful and frustrating pursuit. You've got to get the compostion right, lighting must be dramatic and the concept has to be interesting, original and profound. Where got mood to smile smile?

    I have never met a photographer with a smiling face.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    You must understand that photography is a stressful and frustrating pursuit. You've got to get the compostion right, lighting must be dramatic and the concept has to be interesting, original and profound. Where got mood to smile smile?

    I have never met a photographer with a smiling face.
    looks like you are mixing with the wrong crowd

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    looks like you are mixing with the wrong crowd
    I am sure the crowd is the right one.

    Only they are not smiling or talking to me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    I always find it surprising and refreshing when someone smiles at a stranger in Singapore. If that happens to me, I smile back, say 'Hi', and wave.

    As for photographers ... hmm ... once when I was walking around Chinatown b4 CNY, a group of photographers were coming round the corner. I had my cam around my wrist. As I lifted it to shoot, they were trying to see what model, make etc it was (may cam is usually not easily id-ed). I guess they must have been very dissappointed because it had a humongous lens-hood mounted on, so they must have thought it was some super cam. I distinctly heard one guy tell another 'Lumix FZ10'. They shook their heads a little and immediately turned away.

    I'd still smile, then move on to spend some quality time chatting with a kopitiam ah-pek or road sweeper.
    Last edited by Feinwerkbau; 2nd April 2006 at 05:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    I was at One Fullerton for lunch yesterday. Want to smile at ppl over at 'Ang Teng' but see no one. Maybe its the weather. Damn warm last afternoon.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    You must understand that photography is a stressful and frustrating pursuit. You've got to get the compostion right, lighting must be dramatic and the concept has to be interesting, original and profound. Where got mood to smile smile?

    I have never met a photographer with a smiling face.
    me too..
    hoping to see one smiling face soon.. haha,
    i still believe a stressless mind produces good pic as well, if not better..
    then time i smile at u ok.. haha

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    I was at One Fullerton for lunch yesterday. Want to smile at ppl over at 'Ang Teng' but see no one. Maybe its the weather. Damn warm last afternoon.
    hot and cloudy..
    in the evenig got some photographers.. the security guard says in the morning got a lot woah.

  14. #14

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    i wont smile back unless ur a girl

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ponggol 21
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    I always find it surprising and refreshing when someone smiles at a stranger in Singapore. If that happens to me, I smile back, say 'Hi', and wave.

    As for photographers ... hmm ... once when I was walking around Chinatown b4 CNY, a group of photographers were coming round the corner. I had my cam around my wrist. As I lifted it to shoot, they were trying to see what model, make etc it was (may cam is usually not easily id-ed). I guess they must have been very dissappointed because it had a humongous lens-hood mounted on, so they must have thought it was some super cam. I distinctly heard one guy tell another 'Lumix FZ10'. They shook their heads a little and immediately turned away.

    I'd still smile, then move on to spend some quality time chatting with a kopitiam ah-pek or road sweeper.
    it is so nice to see someone smile back, if not smile at u 1st, it really picks up my day.
    but personally i dun like to go out with a big group of photographers to shoot.. very distracting and feels funny. 1 or 2 is good, if not walk alone can see more things clearly.

  16. #16
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by boen
    hot and cloudy..
    in the evenig got some photographers.. the security guard says in the morning got a lot woah.
    When i look over, it was empty leh. Was there at lunch time. Din bring camera. But its hot, a bit hard to smile also.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    i was out at labrador park the other day when i was approaced by a foreigner who asked me what was i doing there...at least he smiles, bothers to shakes hand and introduces himself!

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by dragos
    weird, but i tend to smile at other photographers whom might be covering the same event...
    I talk to them too!!

  19. #19

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by boen
    yestersday i was at clifford pier witness and reflecting on its former glory as our historic "RED LIGHT" wharf ending its days serving thousands or millions of singaporean.
    as usual, taking photos and just slowly sit and look at the place... other fellow photographers are around too..taking photos here n there.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
    Or is it just singaporean culture being very stressed by the work and other stuff that took away our smile too?
    Just some thought in my mind..thats all.

    Those offended by this post, pls just press the "back" icon.. dun post unncessary rude comments.

    Cheers..
    I dont this is only happens in Singapore. It happens else where too.

  20. #20

    Default Re: pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

    Actually i'd prefer to think that hobbyist photographers have no reason to be stress.

    If this hobby makes you stress, quit it!

    It's just taking pictures, and more than often, (for my case) beautiful pictures come out from my cam when i'm shooting in a cheery smiley mood!
    Well probably you will be stress if you are shooting for magazine or a paid job, that is fully acceptable.
    Singaporeans... I don't know why stress is like a very common thing we incorporate in life.. towards everything!
    Last edited by behyx; 2nd April 2006 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •