Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: does the CPL looks dirty

  1. #1

    Default does the CPL looks dirty

    I just bought a hoya CPL from tcw. I look at it directing to a light. It looks dirty like just after being washed using water and some minor dirty evenly left on the glass.

    Do the hoya cpl look like this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    Quote Originally Posted by freecloud
    I just bought a hoya CPL from tcw. I look at it directing to a light. It looks dirty like just after being washed using water and some minor dirty evenly left on the glass.

    Do the hoya cpl look like this?
    I dun suggest u use water to wash yr CPL! Water will get in between the CPL and gets trapped there. Usually the rear exposed part of the part where polarising works and cleaning that part will damage the coating.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    Quote Originally Posted by freecloud
    I just bought a hoya CPL from tcw. I look at it directing to a light. It looks dirty like just after being washed using water and some minor dirty evenly left on the glass.

    Do the hoya cpl look like this?

    All brand new ones shouldn't be like that.
    Although you may find that the Hoya ones would be harder to clean / maintain.

  4. #4

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    does the filter when look under the light appear like uniformly jit-liap jit-liap debris stuck onto the glass?

    tink if it doesn't affect the picture, dun bother to clean it.

    i tink the filter maybe permanently ruined after washing it with water, as it can seep thru the gap sandwiched between the 2 glasses.

    tried on my old CPL filter and now even after years, there's ugly newton's rings in the glass interface....
    Quote Originally Posted by freecloud
    I just bought a hoya CPL from tcw. I look at it directing to a light. It looks dirty like just after being washed using water and some minor dirty evenly left on the glass.

    Do the hoya cpl look like this?

  5. #5
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    I correct you made a very valid point.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


    Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    does the filter when look under the light appear like uniformly jit-liap jit-liap debris stuck onto the glass?

    tink if it doesn't affect the picture, dun bother to clean it.

    i tink the filter maybe permanently ruined after washing it with water, as it can seep thru the gap sandwiched between the 2 glasses.

    tried on my old CPL filter and now even after years, there's ugly newton's rings in the glass interface....

  6. #6

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    [QUOTE=user12343]does the filter when look under the light appear like uniformly jit-liap jit-liap debris stuck onto the glass?

    Yes, it look like this. If just look at without directing to the light, it is very clear. But it looks dirty if directing it to the light. I will not washing it and that dirty seems caused by the process of manufacturing.

  7. #7

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    All brand new ones shouldn't be like that.
    Although you may find that the Hoya ones would be harder to clean / maintain.
    It is brand new which is bought from tcw. It is cheapest one i found so far. 67mm hoya CPL cost 50SD. I am just wondering whether all the hoya CPL looks like that. If you donnot direct the cpl to the light, it looks very clear. maybe , you can try to look at it by directing it to light.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    If you just brought it you should go back to the shop and change it. There should not have water or foreign object in between the space of CPL filter.

  9. #9

    Default Re: does the CPL looks dirty

    Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    If you just brought it you should go back to the shop and change it. There should not have water or foreign object in between the space of CPL filter.
    I clean the CPL using cloth and the dirty is gone. There are no water or other foreign things, but some water mark on the surface.

    Maybe all the CPL look like that if you direct them to the light.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •