Thread: What to watch out for in buying 2nd Hand Lens?

Default What to watch out for in buying 2nd Hand Lens?

Hi!
    I'm a newbie considering to buy a better lens for my canon 350D, 2nd hand.
    Anyone can advise me on the following:

1. If the warranty is still valid, will Canon accept the warranty even if it is not in my name?
    2. Any thing to watch out for in testing the lens before buying it?

Thanks!

Default Re: What to watch out for in buying 2nd Hand Lens?

take a look at the glass (obviously)
    but dont be too caught up with dust because some amount of dust will get onto the front element no matter how careful you are.

must important is that the lens focuses well ... bring a focus sheet if you want to.. also check if the lens is sharp. Of course depending on the price of the lens, focus speed/accuracy/sharpness/colour all depend on the quality on the lens.

Lots of sites with advice, please google.

One thing's for sure-- don't buy lenses at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jklo
    Hi!
    I'm a newbie considering to buy a better lens for my canon 350D, 2nd hand.
    Anyone can advise me on the following:

1. If the warranty is still valid, will Canon accept the warranty even if it is not in my name?
    2. Any thing to watch out for in testing the lens before buying it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    take a look at the glass (obviously)
    but dont be too caught up with dust because some amount of dust will get onto the front element no matter how careful you are.

must important is that the lens focuses well ... bring a focus sheet if you want to.. also check if the lens is sharp. Of course depending on the price of the lens, focus speed/accuracy/sharpness/colour all depend on the quality on the lens.
    Thanks!
    There was a small internal bubble and a fine internal line in a lens I was considering to buy.
    Even though a quick look on some of the sample pics I took with it didn't reveal anything, I am not sure if it will affect the pics later on at some focal range. So I didn't buy it in the end.
    Quite surprise to see these in a relatively new lens.

frm my exprience, i wont buy anything like that if i see it. read one of my thread where i was discussing about the lens that i bought with fungus. its really not worth it, even though it might be cheap.... btw if you see something like a spider, 99.% its fungus....

I can understand that fungus will grow on the lens over time.
    But I don't suppose bubbles grow in the lens in the space of a couple of months.
    So this means that it is also possible to buy a brand new lens with the bubble if it is not inspected.