Thread: buying monitor for Photo-editing

Default HELP in buying monitor for Photo-editing

hi all,
    need to find out more about what/which monitor to choose for photo-editing purpose. Deciding betw LCD vs CRT. Some issues that i am deliberating on:

1. contrast level of LCD vs CRT - which is higher (i assume higher=better)
    2. colour caliberation - which is easier?
    3. colour space, which shows more? (more=better)
    4. which is easier on the eyes for long hours of viewing (refresh rate issue??)
    5. if CRT, then flat screen version essential?
    6. any other issues i should be concern about?
    7. lastly, any brands to recommend? (MAG & SONY for CRT?)

thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by beachbum; 4th December 2002 at 11:52 AM.

upz... can anyone offer help??

1. CRT
    2. CRT
    3. CRT
    4. LCD (mainly for text, a properly calibrated good CRT isn't fatiguing as well)
    5. All the quality CRT monitors are true flat screens.
    6. If not using DVI, decent video card with good analogue signal like a Matrox or ATI recommended.
    7. For those available locally, Sony G series, Viewsonic P series, Philips P series...etc. Choose only the Professional lineup of each brand the consumer/economy models may suffer in colour purity as well as tuning controls.

Take for example, Compaq commercial P series CRT monitor are meant to be used with workstation, which is normally used for intense graphic works.

I second a CRT monitor. Spend as much as you can afford for a good CRT big screen xxx-tron tube monitor and a good 2D card, say Matrox or ATI. If u don't play 3D games, I'd suggest get a Matrox card, top 2D quality. Color rendition wise, Trinitron better than Diamontron, but text wise Diamontron is sharper. With $1000 you can get a good 19' xxx-tron monitor.

Thanks to Zerstorer, edwgoh & Tom for ur valuable advice!

now i know, go the CRT way.

Tom, wah...17" not enuf meh? 19" is gigantic leh??

Originally posted by beachbum
    Thanks to Zerstorer, edwgoh & Tom for ur valuable advice!

now i know, go the CRT way.

Tom, wah...17" not enuf meh? 19" is gigantic leh??
    The bigger the better. If I were a local guy staying here for a long time, I would definitely get a 19'.

LCD monitors have come a long, long way. In fact the Mac LCDs like the CinemaDisplay 22" is EXCELLENT . Even the iMac LCD screen is excellent.

PC wise, the good LCDs are by Eizo (e.g. L565 17") and the higher end Samsungs.

Get at least 19" for CRT, 17-18" for LCD if you are seriously into such work. And run a 19" at least 1280 x 1024 or even 1600x1200. Otherwise, no point getting such a big monitor.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    LCD monitors have come a long, long way. In fact the Mac LCDs like the CinemaDisplay 22" is EXCELLENT . Even the iMac LCD screen is excellent.

PC wise, the good LCDs are by Eizo (e.g. L565 17") and the higher end Samsungs.

Get at least 19" for CRT, 17-18" for LCD if you are seriously into such work. And run a 19" at least 1280 x 1024 or even 1600x1200. Otherwise, no point getting such a big monitor.

Regards
    CK
    woah pei.... then what kind of graphics card i need to get to support a 19" running at 1600x1200?? a 64meg Maxtrox card?

woah pei.... then what kind of graphics card i need to get to support a 19" running at 1600x1200?? a 64meg Maxtrox card?
    Any <$200 Matrox G400 or G550 or Radeon 8500LE or Radeon 7500 or Radeon 64 will do fine.

Pair it up with a Sony G420 and you should be good to go.

Avoid the OEM taiwanese brands or the budget 7000/VE models as they have lower specced RAMDACs.

just a slight word of caution, those who are intending to get large screen monitors should check a few things as well...

1) make sure your current table top has enuf real-estate to fit your new monitor. u dun want to bring it home and realise that there isn't enuf space.

2) make sure your table is stable and sturdy. some of these monitors are REALLY heavy. (ok ok... the higher end ones are heavy)

3) 19" monitors can still fit into a car - with box and all. 21" and above may not.

oh... personal opinion here... not much real diff between a 17" and a 19" go get a 21" or higher... hehehe.. size does make a difference.

and FYI - Superpet is letting go of the G520 for less than SGD1.5K i think - according to their latest price guides. *note - i dun work for them.

enjoy ur new monitor
    Last edited by pyre; 5th December 2002 at 05:18 PM.

My GeForce ONE card can do just that. But I am running at 1280x1024x32-bit @ 85Hz.

Regards
    CK

thank you all for the recommendations! when i get it running, will let everyone know how well it performs! cheers