Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why are L lens white?

Default Re: why are L lens white?

all hail EOS L Lense

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    all hail EOS L Lense
    Haha yeah!!!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I find that those wide-angle and standard zoom lens (short zooms) are black in colour. Don't they have fluorite elements too? I know that those such as 70-200 models and long telephotos are all white, but being an L lens, they should all have fluorite elements which give the 'L' insignia.
    Its not true that all L lens have flourite. Some have UD and Super UD instead. But lenses having UD, Super UD, flourite are usually L lens.

perhaps not enough surface area for the white paint.

Ever seen a white rubber grip ?

I find that those wide-angle and standard zoom lens (short zooms) are black in colour. Don't they have fluorite elements too?

Well, imagine a long BLACK lens, a la some other brands of lenses...

It could invite an unwarranted bullet from someone thinking that you are pointing a bazooka...

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    i personally prefer black... not so attention grabbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Well, imagine a long BLACK lens, a la some other brands of lenses...

It could invite an unwarranted bullet from someone thinking that you are pointing a bazooka...
    bazooka are all black ?

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan
    Its more of a Marketing gimmick in my opinion, because really.... they want people to think owning a "white" lens looks pro.. because pro use them...

When people start photography, white lens was the lens that most people aiming to get, because they "think" it will give them better photos... Well, that is the marketing message from most (if not all) camera manufacturer anyway?

Hence in return meaning better sales...

I once told by my mentor, he said, in the beginning of the career, sometime it is better to look good first... that means building people's confident with you before even taking photos.. but then you also need good image to back it up.

But of course, white or black or any colour lens, it is just another piece of gear.

Hart
    ps. Seen C**** advertising some time ago? "If its white, its Canon"
    Not true leh.. Here are some non Canon white lenses.. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=183622

I prefer the "Long long time ago in a galaxy far far away......." version of story

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Not true leh.. Here are some non Canon white lenses.. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=183622
    I know.. there are some non-white canon lens..

but that was the advertising campaign.. I think it works... again this is purely marketing gimmick. I don't think the different in thermal expansion is so much different between the white and black version.

what about if it black, its canon?,,,, sounds wierd right?

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    Its not true that all L lens have flourite. Some have UD and Super UD instead. But lenses having UD, Super UD, flourite are usually L lens.
    So maybe those black ones don't have fluorite that's y they're not white.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    perhaps not enough surface area for the white paint.

Ever seen a white rubber grip ?
    Surface area?? I doubt this is the reason.

Flourite glas and possibly "pro look".

Once i used the 400mm APO G (Minolta) on a crowd who are surrounding a shoot at Plaza Singapura where Fiona Seah was shooting a TV variety show. I was nto there to shoot the even but juz happen to be there with my lens after a morning at the zoo....so casually took it out and set the camera up behind the crowd...and for a split second i asked myself...how on earth is this bald-shortie(me) is trying to take photo through the crowd. And i just zipped up my bag and held the camera wit the white lens on my palms and woosh!!! you could see the crowd split like as if a red carpet has ben magically thrown on the floor and crreated this crevice in the crowd just nice for me to shoot where i am from....hehehhe...

So conclusion - white lens do have its priviledges....hehehehehh

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan

Once i used the 400mm APO G (Minolta) on a crowd who are surrounding a shoot at Plaza Singapura where Fiona Seah was shooting a TV variety show. I was nto there to shoot the even but juz happen to be there with my lens after a morning at the zoo....so casually took it out and set the camera up behind the crowd...and for a split second i asked myself...how on earth is this bald-shortie(me) is trying to take photo through the crowd. And i just zipped up my bag and held the camera wit the white lens on my palms and woosh!!! you could see the crowd split like as if a red carpet has ben magically thrown on the floor and crreated this crevice in the crowd just nice for me to shoot where i am from....hehehhe...

Wow....maybe as u said, more 'pro look' hehe...

Anyway just OT a bit, i also saw that Nikon also have a white lens...a 300mm f/2.8 one. But of cos, no red ring.

and for a split second i asked myself...how on earth is this bald-shortie(me) is trying to take photo through the crowd. And i just zipped up my bag and held the camera wit the white lens on my palms and woosh!!! you could see the crowd split like as if a red carpet has ben magically thrown on the floor and crreated this crevice in the crowd just nice for me to shoot where i am from....hehehhe...

maybe L stands for Ladder... got white lens then no need ladder... the wave will part before you...

actually from the size of your 400mm (and the furry camo hood), even if it's pink colour if i see it pointed at me i will siam...
    Last edited by pai; 1st April 2006 at 10:34 AM.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Wow! Moses!!

Wow....maybe as u said, more 'pro look' hehe...

Anyway just OT a bit, i also saw that Nikon also have a white lens...a 300mm f/2.8 one. But of cos, no red ring.
    Nikon has a few white lenses also.. see the thread link I posted several posts earlier. No red ring? Someone just put a red rubber band around it.

Actually if you see the Canon advertisement with a picture of people using white lenses, you can see that quite a number are not Canon lenses. Canon's marketing people are just fantastic!

heehee, ok thanks for all the replies so far...

so, this fluorite thing, got any link to a page on the canon website that says so? otherwise not sure whether to believe or not (as in, ok i believe got fluorite elements, but is this the reason why the lens is white?).

maybe i gaffer my black lens white colour see if can part the crowd or not...
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

totally agree with you... when you bring big camera gear and white lenses, generally, you grant access to some event.. love it..

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Nikon has a few white lenses also.. see the thread link I posted several posts earlier. No red ring? Someone just put a red rubber band around it.

Actually if you see the Canon advertisement with a picture of people using white lenses, you can see that quite a number are not Canon lenses. Canon's marketing people are just fantastic!
    Reminds me of that thread where someone put a red rubber band on his 50mm!

Yes there are some white lenses but are not Canon ones. But usually when someones looks at a large white lens, it's a Canon!

why do the white lens draw so much attention?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast