Thread: Need advice - Vietnam trip

Default Need advice - Vietnam trip

Hi,

Would like to get some advice from those who have been to Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay.

We are going on an April trip to Hanoi. We will depart on a Friday afternoon and arrive at Hanoi at 6:xxpm. Our plan is to take a night train to Lao Cai - Sapa. Back to Hanoi on Monday and then depart to Halong Bay. Finally back to Hanoi airport on Wed afternoon.

Our schedule is quite tight, therefore we would like to contact some local agent to arrange the transport. Does anyone have some contacts to share? Or any advice?

Much appreciated!
    tom

Default Re: Need advice - Vietnam trip

Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    Hi,

Would like to get some advice from those who have been to Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay.

We are going on an April trip to Hanoi. We will depart on a Friday afternoon and arrive at Hanoi at 6:xxpm. Our plan is to take a night train to Lao Cai - Sapa. Back to Hanoi on Monday and then depart to Halong Bay. Finally back to Hanoi airport on Wed afternoon.

Our schedule is quite tight, therefore we would like to contact some local agent to arrange the transport. Does anyone have some contacts to share? Or any advice?

Much appreciated!
    tom
    Just don't go to the Sinh Cafes. I had a good experience with the folks at Apple Hotel and Little Hanoi Hotel. But remember haggling is the way..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Hi,

Much appreciated!
    tom

Hi:
    I went to Hanoi last year and spent 3 night there.
    What I did was to tour the city via foot and via trishaw (abt S$3 for 1 hr). Felt comfortably safe walking around. Bring your long lens to shoot the locals going about selling their wares.
    Everything goes mobile. There are travel agents in town for you to take side-trips to the bay. I should have gone to the Bay but, well, next time.
    William

Recommend Vega or Vegas Travel.
    Somewhere in Old Quarters. Later I go back find the namecard.

Leaving for Lao Cai on Fri nite, Back in Hanoi on Monday early morning.
    Leaving for Halong bay on Monday morning, Back in Hanoi Tuesday afternoon.
    Tour Hanoi till fly back on wed.

There's nothing in Halong Bay. 1 day tour is enough, unless U wanna see the sunset. There's nothing else.

U should spend more time in Sapa.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Recommend Vega or Vegas Travel.
    Somewhere in Old Quarters. Later I go back find the namecard.

Leaving for Lao Cai on Fri nite, Back in Hanoi on Monday early morning.
    Leaving for Halong bay on Monday morning, Back in Hanoi Tuesday afternoon.
    Tour Hanoi till fly back on wed.
    Hey great! This plan is safer for catching the flight. What do you think about the Sapa tour? Possible to go further inside and shoot the villagers? I would like to have one more day but one of our teammates have to be back to office by Thu...

BTw, thanks to GDSNP and JWT for your contribution.

With only 1 1/2 days in Sapa, there's nothing much u can do. U can't travel far without extra $$$ also. Good thing is the guide we had was very friendly. Maybe if U give him more tips, he'll not follow the company's itinerary & bring u around to more remote places. There's a weekend market at Sapa also. Will be crowded with tourists also..

wow! thx man, very helpful. I will discuss with my guys...

Will be in Vietnam from 19/05/06 to 22/05/06 (4D3N). Reaching Ho Chi Minh airport noon time and depart from the same place, noon time, traveling on Tiger Air. Would like to visit Halong Bay and Sepa, anyone can recommend a reliable tour agent there to arrange my itinerary in Vietnam?

wow! thx man, very helpful. I will discuss with my guys...
    tomshen, u go on trip to hanoi..?? never invite me along

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    tomshen, u go on trip to hanoi..?? never invite me along
    huh? Michael isn't it? Asked you already but you said cannot make it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian
    Will be in Vietnam from 19/05/06 to 22/05/06 (4D3N). Reaching Ho Chi Minh airport noon time and depart from the same place, noon time, traveling on Tiger Air. Would like to visit Halong Bay and Sepa, anyone can recommend a reliable tour agent there to arrange my itinerary in Vietnam?
    Halong Bay & Sapa is more than 1000km away from Ho Chi Minh City.
    By train is 38 hrs to Sapa.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Halong Bay & Sapa is more than 1000km away from Ho Chi Minh City.
    By train is 38 hrs to Sapa.
    Like tat got to stick to Ho Chi Minh.. will travel up north in another. Beside the usual placeof interest in Ho Chin Minh, any other place of interest where I can get good photo?

Hi,

Much appreciated!
    tom
    handspan @ 36 nguyen huu huan street or 80 ma may street
    email handspan@hn.vnn.vn

the train journey is about 10 hours.