Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London BABY!

Default Re: London BABY!

Harrods Krispy Kreme Dougnuts!!!!!

Wow. Thanks for the overwhelming number of replies.

I went down to the library and did my own research. (I combed through 4 different guidebooks, including one about France) I have some places I really want to go on a list.

1). Westminster Cathedral (that will be on Sunday when they have mass going on. If I'm lucky, I can see a cardinal!!)
    2). The Globe (Yes, I want to watch a Shakespeare play, but I'm not sure if my mum will be bored.)
    3). The Big Ben and the bookstores near it.
    4). Camden Market (because my brother went there and said it was great fun. Bargaining. On a Saturday.)

I'm definately going to visit the clubbing scene with my cousin (oh, she's good at this business). I'm just going to let her bring me to her favourite clubs. Unless she's busy, that is.

The London Eye is a tad pricey. We are on a tight budget. I'll scream if I have to pay SGD$15 (5 pounds) for a McDonald meal, but that seems to be a bit on the cheap side over there. I think I'll bring lots of energy bars over and survive on that.
    Harrolds looks very imposing in the guidebook. Wah... Got dress code and 'bouncer' one.

Er. I think tripods are a on the plane. How did you bring yours over, justarius?
    siriram, your pictures of Hampton Court are lovely. It makes me want to drop everything and zoom over there quick!

My aunt used to (? not sure if she moved. Her phone number seems to be not valid) live on Camden Road but I think she might have moved to a semi-detached somewhere else in Central London.

Well, I'm definately going to save this thread and make a list of places to go out of this. Thanks again, people.

P.S: I'll be happy to bring something from your family to you in London, londonray. (This applies to kiat too, if he's READING THIS.) Something that can fit in my check-in luggage. If it's small and fragile, I don't mind handcarrying it.

For food, if you are on a tight budget, you may want to try the cheap and good chinatown restaurants like Wong Kei. Alternatively, you might want to try fish and chips take away. Another alternative are the cafetaria in the big departmental stores such as Debanhams, where they have reasonably priced sitdown meals. Or you can buy takeaway sandwiches from Marks and Spencer.

Your aunt lives in a semi-D in central london??? I don't think you need to go on such a tight budget.

I checked it in with my main luggage when I came back. Hand carry also troublesome.

When going into Harrods, don't try it with tripod, big camera bags etc. The bouncer might not permit you entry. Even for backpacks, they will normally ask people to handcarry instead of slinging on their backs....

If you are going to Portobello market (Notting Hill), if I remember correctly, it's only open on a Saturday, so don't try going on weekends.

Bookstores are mostly found along Charing Cross road, got all the major retailers plus lots of those small independent bookshops....

Forget about the London Eye, not worth the ticket price. Its quite photogenic though.

When you are there, suggest you get one day travel passes for bus and tube(can't remember if they also got sell 3 days or 1 week one). Very very useful eventhough Central London is very walkable (use to walk 1 hr to school at Aldywch from my place at Tower Bridge every day until I got tired of breathing in vehicle exhaust.) Cheap eats are best found in Chinatown.... Wong Kei is likely the cheapest you'll find and the food's so so although service sucks. Pub food is also excellent for the price... go into any pub on Sunday for Sunday brunch... heavenly (but very sinful). If possible, try to catch a musical there... the atmosphere in those cosy theatres are very different from those huge impersonal productions bought over here.

Have fun!

Bring a passport photo and some form of identification for an oyster card (something like our easylink) you need this for a one week travel pass

Buy the arena/standing tickets for the Globe. So that you can stand around the stage and be closer to the actors. Its also cheaper. Well worth it!

Checkout on the admission to the museums. On certain day of the week, you can get in for free. British Museum is great and it's foc.

Lookout for the photography bookstore at Charing Cross.

If you can are into performing art, try to catch a perfomance at The Royal Albert Hall, as it has a very very impressive acoustic. And such a lovely architectual.

Also lookout for lunchtime performance in the parks. Nice to have a simple picnic lunch with a performace to match.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    For food, if you are on a tight budget, you may want to try the cheap and good chinatown restaurants like Wong Kei. Alternatively, you might want to try fish and chips take away. Another alternative are the cafetaria in the big departmental stores such as Debanhams, where they have reasonably priced sitdown meals. Or you can buy takeaway sandwiches from Marks and Spencer.

Your aunt lives in a semi-D in central london??? I don't think you need to go on such a tight budget.
    Well, I'm not sure if she moved. But my brother says my aunt has been eyeing this semi-detached and when I told him her number does not seem to be working, he said my aunt might have moved.

My aunt's an accountant... So... I guess that's why she moved?

It's not nice to leech off my aunt on food especially when I'll be staying at her place for free.

dont mind if i OT here,

is it safe to walk ard london with a DSLR in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    dont mind if i OT here,

Yes it's relatively save so long you dont hang arnd shady areas.

I have walked around at 3 am before

Just avoid the drunks

dont mind if i OT here,

Yah, Central London quite safe. Never had any problems in the 4 years I stayed there. Just keep away from the dodgier districts at night, like King's Cross.

dont mind if i OT here,

4 years there and the only harrassment I got(SLR or no SLR in hand) was some bum leeching a ciggie off me when I was stumbling back home alone after a mad night out with my mates so I guess it's pretty safe. Mind you, I was living in the then rougher part of London(Bow Road).

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    It's not nice to leech off my aunt on food especially when I'll be staying at her place for free.
    Well, you are absolutely right. I was just kidding...

London can be a very expensive place to stay. But if you know the city better, it is possible to get by with a tight budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12