Thread: Recommendations for wide angle lens?

Default Recommendations for wide angle lens?

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to Borobudur or Angkor Wat soon, and the feedback I've gotten is that a wide angle lens would be useful to bring. I own a Canon 350D. Can I pls get recommendations for a wide angle lens that won't make me a pauper? I've been checking out BnS but I hardly come across people selling wide lenses, either new or used. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommendations for wide angle lens?

what is your budget?
    and how wide do you want to go?
    Are 3rd party lenses an option?

I'd say the tokina 12-24 f4 is a safe bet
    if it is out of your budget,
    then the next best thing would be a tokina 17mm f3.5

My budget? Preferably not more than $800. i don't mind 3rd-party lenses. I want to go as wide as possible, i.e. 10mm or 12mm.

Maybe you can spend a bit more and get the Tamron SP AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di II.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    what is your budget?
    and how wide do you want to go?
    Are 3rd party lenses an option?

I'd say the tokina 12-24 f4 is a safe bet
    if it is out of your budget,
    then the next best thing would be a tokina 17mm f3.5
    I agree..
    The tokina 12-24 is a very good lens, in terms of build, image quality and handling

Actually there are only a handful of wide angles lens that's wider than your kit lens......but I think only 3rd party one like Sigma's, Tamron's and Tokina's fall within that price bracket....you can probably find many fantastic samples posted in here b4

But since I am a nikon user, I think I will go for a prime lens something like the 14mm if I want wide but this one will burn a hole in my pocket before I shoot the picture
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 29th March 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Be sure to check out the sigma before u set your mind on the tamron. the web reviews which I seen generally favour the sigma for better picture quality and build quality than the tamron.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBugL
    Be sure to check out the sigma before u set your mind on the tamron. the web reviews which I seen generally favour the sigma for better picture quality and build quality than the tamron.
    I've seen pics taken by the sigma ones (wide-angle ones) in comparison to the tamrons. I find that the tamrons are slightly better in quality. Web reviews vary from person to person so do a test yrself personally is best to deduce which is better.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Web reviews vary from person to person so do a test yrself personally is best to deduce which is better.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBugL
    True.

Are wide-angle lenses for group shots?

Quote Originally Posted by fintan
    24mm... to have a "safe" distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    24mm... to have a "safe" distortion.
    I've tried at 17mm with the 17-40, Distortion not so bad but at the ends, faces will look a bit 'stretched'.

ive just done a review of the tokina 19-35 which i got for $160 w/77mm filter off B&S. MINT condition from a very nice seller. i find it worth every penny i paid. definitely wont make u a pauper. i use a 350D too

review on: shangjun.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    ive just done a review of the tokina 19-35 which i got for $160 w/77mm filter off B&S. MINT condition from a very nice seller. i find it worth every penny i paid. definitely wont make u a pauper. i use a 350D too

review on: shangjun.blogspot.com
    Good buy!

Quote Originally Posted by fintan
    They can be meant for lots of kinda shots, depending on the photog's shooting style,
    Eg, architectural(if I spelled it correctly), landscapes, indoor....many more..

I think you should go for EFS 10-22 F3.5-4.5. It is lighter and the finishing is much more better than tokina and others. Overall image quality is better. I tried it yesterday at CP. I compared tokina 12-24, sigma 15-30 (too big and heavy for my liking) and canon 10-22.

The only thing u hav to do is to come out extra $$$. They quote me 1180. But the lens doesn't come with the hood. The hood at extra 80 (eighty dollars.......... )

Anyway if i were u, I'll just tahan my heartache and go for canon by installments.

Btw.., anyone know which shop is selling cheaper for the above canon lens.????

Quote Originally Posted by mtunlinn
    I think you should go for EFS 10-22 F3.5-4.5. It is lighter and the finishing is much more better than tokina and others. Overall image quality is better. I tried it yesterday at CP. I compared tokina 12-24, sigma 15-30 (too big and heavy for my liking) and canon 10-22.

The only thing u hav to do is to come out extra $$$. They quote me 1180. But the lens doesn't come with the hood. The hood at extra 80 (eighty dollars.......... )

Anyway if i were u, I'll just tahan my heartache and go for canon by installments.

the Canon EF-S 10-22 is a hidden L lens.
    Price is high, but the image quality is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by mtunlinn

A few days ago, Jn 3:16 quoted S$1160 for the Canon EFS10-22mm and S$60 for the filter. Haven't asked AP yet but I'd expect a better price than either CP or Jn 3:16.

Btw, don't forget that you may still need to get a 77mm UV filter for it if you need protection. From what I've read (so far) you'll probably need a slim filter so that it doesn't cause vignetting. Not sure if this is really an issue but you may want to check it our for yourself.
    Flickr|5DSR|a7Rii|24-70Lii|70-200Lii|15|17L|35L|40|85L|100L|MPE65|CV21|Batis25|S EL35|P807

Definitely I have to get a filter after getting it.. either B+W or Nc.. another 100 bucks again..

Just scratching my head nowadays.....