Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which lenses best for portrait?

Default Re: Which lenses best for portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobyeo
    obviously u dont know of the word 'MONEY'.. u want more bokeh.. get a 135mm f/2 and u get better bokeh at a higher stop.. just step back more.. i compared that a nikkor 135mm f/2 can produce as good or better bokeh then a nikon 85mm f/1.4..
    Agree! Now it's the cost that applies, not whether gd bokeh or not.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

dudes. the words are "value for money"

600+ almost there already. beating the **** out of 70-300
    3000 to get there.

I'd pay $600+ anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I LONG AGO know what's BOKEH.

If you said the 75-300mm then u really dunno what's the point of getting the 85mm f/1.8. Being a prime lens, it can beat the 75-300 anytime. I've personally used both lens myself and the 85mm is way more sharp and of better quality.

If you're comparing in covering 85mm, then i also can say the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, mounted on a 1.6x body, it's also gets 88mm which passes 85mm. Then in that case, the other dedicated portrait lens are considered redundant.
    I'm sorry, but you are the one who said that the difference between the 1.2 and 1.8 is two stops of light, and not the difference in bokeh.
    Yes, though the cost of that two stops might not be justifiable for US...I dont see why it is an overkill for the price.Unless, you say that it is an overkill for the user.The high price of such a big aperture lens is only natural.
    And, getting the 85f.1.2L dosent mean you have to go pro, or you have a lot of money to spend.If you feel that you need to utilize the shallow DOF to create your photos,and you have the funds for it, why not?Its just like getting the 85f1.8 over the 70-300.

Agree! Now it's the cost that applies, not whether gd bokeh or not.
    If the cost applies more to you, I'd suggest you get a cheapo lens, its so much cheaper.

I like this 2 lenses when it comes to portraits. The 50mm & the 85mm (either on film SLR or DSLR) unless you are taking a full body shot (a 35mm lens might work too). Also look at the aperture diaphram. Is it in almost a round shape or octagon shape (or something like that) when close down to f/4 cos this will affect the bokeh output. Just my POV here & do take it as a reference only.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 29th March 2006 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    If the cost applies more to you, I'd suggest you get a cheapo lens, its so much cheaper.
    yes.. so much cheaper.. thats correct.. but since there is a lens that is CHEAP.. yet GOOD enough to bring out the art in him.. why not ask the person to get it? why advise him to get a lens that is out of his budget.. and flame him just because he wants to save that amount of money? this thread is talking about which lens is best for potrait.. meaning that which lens is most value for money, good in quality.. and is able to bring out the bokeh that u want.. obviously this thread is not for people who are rich.. if this is a thread for rich people.. this thread would not have started at first.. they would have.. maybe like u.. went out to buy the 85mm f/1.2 straight..why would they have asked? i personally find that the nikon 85mm f/1.8 gives the bokeh i want.. that is good enough for me.. everyone has his own perspective of what true art is.. so the bokeh that the 85mm f/1.2 produces maybe the type u want.. but in others eyes.. it maybe unnecessary.. lenses makes the work required to produce the images u want easier.. it DOES NOT enhance your images that makes it the photo that will win the photo taking competition.. its u that puts in the feeling.. not the lens and camera

yes.. so much cheaper.. thats correct.. but since there is a lens that is CHEAP.. yet GOOD enough to bring out the art in him.. why not ask the person to get it? why advise him to get a lens that is out of his budget.. and flame him just because he wants to save that amount of money? this thread is talking about which lens is best for potrait.. meaning that which lens is most value for money, good in quality.. and is able to bring out the bokeh that u want.. obviously this thread is not for people who are rich.. if this is a thread for rich people.. this thread would not have started at first.. they would have.. maybe like u.. went out to buy the 85mm f/1.2 straight..why would they have asked? i personally find that the nikon 85mm f/1.8 gives the bokeh i want.. that is good enough for me.. everyone has his own perspective of what true art is.. so the bokeh that the 85mm f/1.2 produces maybe the type u want.. but in others eyes.. it maybe unnecessary.. lenses makes the work required to produce the images u want easier.. it DOES NOT enhance your images that makes it the photo that will win the photo taking competition.. its u that puts in the feeling.. not the lens and camera
    I did not buy the 85f1.2 straight.I just could agree with Snoweagle labelling the difference between f1.2 and f1.8 as two stops of light.
    Last edited by JediForce4ever; 29th March 2006 at 10:29 PM.

I'm sorry, but you are the one who said that the difference between the 1.2 and 1.8 is two stops of light, and not the difference in bokeh.
    Yes, though the cost of that two stops might not be justifiable for US...I dont see why it is an overkill for the price.Unless, you say that it is an overkill for the user.The high price of such a big aperture lens is only natural.
    And, getting the 85f.1.2L dosent mean you have to go pro, or you have a lot of money to spend.If you feel that you need to utilize the shallow DOF to create your photos,and you have the funds for it, why not?Its just like getting the 85f1.8 over the 70-300.
    Correct, i've never brought up that issue on bokeh, it's u who brought it in.

And i'm SORRY if i've MISUNDERSTOOD your point cos i'm not as RICH as 'others'.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Yeah...the f/1.8 one is so much cheaper. You can buy around 5 pieces of f/1.8 with just one f/1.2L.

I did not buy the 85f1.2 straight.I just could agree with Snoweagle labelling the difference between f1.2 and f1.8 as two stops of light.
    then u should have respected his concern of the price difference before insisting that the 85mm f/1.2 is the better and the rich choice

Yeah...the f/1.8 one is so much cheaper. You can buy around 5 pieces of f/1.8 with just one f/1.2L.
    hoho..but its two stops of light darker...

hoho..but its two stops of light darker...
    So what? Normally one wouldn't take it at f/1.8 as it's rather soft, so f/2.8 will be gd. If you said f/1.8 better for low lighting, then i suggest you get a tripod to take.

then u should have respected his concern of the price difference before insisting that the 85mm f/1.2 is the better and the rich choice
    I did not say that its the better or rich choice, I just said that I also did not agree with him saying that the price is an overkill for the lens..and not for a poor photographer like me.

As said earlier on. It's not worth paying over 3K for such a lens.

Are you serious? Have you actually used it extensively?

Well, cool bros. It's just lenses we are talking about here. Whether they got $$ to afford the lens they want, would be another topic already. Cheers to all.

I did not say that its the better or rich choice, I just said that I also did not agree with him saying that the price is an overkill for the lens..and not for a poor photographer like me.
    For a poorer photographer like myself, it's an overkill.

So what? Normally one wouldn't take it at f/1.8 as it's rather soft, so f/2.8 will be gd. If you said f/1.8 better for low lighting, then i suggest you get a tripod to take.
    did I say that?

For a poorer photographer like myself, it's an overkill.
    you just dont get it...
    Price for the lens is not an overkill..but price for the photographer is an overkill, esp we, who dont need these kind of expensive lenses yet.

did I say that?
    Read yr post #31.

Implicating that with the 2 stops darker, the lens is also a 'slower' lens which very few pple will shoot below f/2.0.

The 85mm f/1.8 is gd enough for most portrait photographers including myself, no need to spend so much more on the f/1.2L.

you just dont get it...
    Price for the lens is not an overkill..but price for the photographer is an overkill, esp we, who dont need these kind of expensive lenses yet.

This man speaks the truth. You're paying top dollar for a top quality lens. I paid a lot of money for it and i've never ever once regretted it.

Now, i shoot primarily events as my main form of ricebowl. But portraiture is my passion and i tend to indulge in it a little more. The quality of my work- i have to genuinely thank my 1.2 for what it can give me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast