Thread: Found another free photo editing software

Default Found another free photo editing software

Stumbled across this program called Paint Dot Net that is offered FOC by the Washing State University. It supports Layers and has most of the tools I normally use on Photoshop for retouching and manipulation. There is also a forum dedicated for this software but it was down today. The main page has a link to discussions on plugings but since the forum page is down I was not able to find out if the plugin is the same as PS. Will check later to find out if there is anyway to support RAW files.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Taken from the main download page:

About
    Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
    It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for setup and shell-integration related functionality.

Enjoy!

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: Found another free photo editing software

Hmm.. conditional Hue/Saturation plugin seems interesting.. will try when I have time..

One thing missing which bothers me is the colour sampler.

In PS I can sample a pixel and see its value change as I make level or curve adjustments. This is helpful for custom colour correction or manipulation. Let me know if you find a way to do that on Paint Dot Net.

On the whole I think this is a very powerful program. Maybe more user friendly than GIMP.

The translucent toolboxes are a nice touch also.
    Last edited by roygoh; 28th March 2006 at 08:31 AM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this info!

Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Stumbled across this program called Paint Dot Net that is offered FOC by the Washing State University. It supports Layers and has most of the tools I normally use on Photoshop for retouching and manipulation. There is also a forum dedicated for this software but it was down today. The main page has a link to discussions on plugings but since the forum page is down I was not able to find out if the plugin is the same as PS. Will check later to find out if there is anyway to support RAW files.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Taken from the main download page:

About
    Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
    It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for setup and shell-integration related functionality.

Enjoy!

- Roy
    Thanks! Will try it out soon.

Edit: UI looks quite good and intuitive.. Haven't taken it for a real spin yet..
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 28th March 2006 at 01:02 PM.

Deregistered

does it support 16bit editing or only 8bit?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    does it support 16bit editing or only 8bit?
    Looks like it's probably only 8-bit

looks quite powerful, it takes advantage of dual-core processors for extra fast processing....

didnt know wat i learn during my poly yrs of C# n C++ can be tat power.
    i will try it out..thanks

the source code for windoze OS is also built on C++ one

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    looks quite powerful, it takes advantage of dual-core processors for extra fast processing....
    Ooh..

Latest Changes:
    Full 64-bit support, for both x64 and Itanium systems
    New "Curves" adjustment for editing an image's color curves
    Seven new layer blend modes: Color Burn, Color Dodge, Reflect, Glow, Overlay, Negation, and Xor
    Aesthetic improvements to the entire user interface
    Better performance, especially for 64-bit systems
    Zooming, esp. with the mouse wheel, has been enhanced
    Rewritten layer composition engine is now mathematically correct, and faster
    Deployment via AD/GPO is now much easier (use /createMsi with setup package)
    User interface now works correctly in high-DPI (120dpi, 144dpi, 196dpi)
    Layers window list is no longer "upside down"
    Upgraded to use .NET Framework 2.0
    Many other improvements and fixes
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Its an interesting alternative for those with basic image editing needs and a low budget.