Thread: Exernal HDD

Default Exernal HDD

I currently have 4 external HDD, various capacity from 150GB to 400GB housed in 4x USB casing. All the power cable, power bricks and USB cables are mess.

I wonder if it's possible (2 things)

1) Is there a way to put all 4 HDD into one casing? However, I am not looking for a RAID solution. I still want to be able to see all 4 drives seperately. What is the maximum number of drive possible/recmmended under this solution?
    2) I don't want a USB or firewire solution. Thought the performance will be higher if the whole thing is connected directly to the mother board via one of the card slot. Is thi possible?

Thanks
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Default Re: Exernal HDD

I've never seen a casing that would hold so many drives. You might want (need) to consider upgrading. Maxtor now have the OneTouch III drive, which has 1TB capacity and supports firewire 800 for optimal performance. The drive contains 2 x 500gb HDD and supports either Raid 0 or Raid 1 for redundancy.

Was looking for something like that and found one casing that can house 2 HDD (don't think there are any that will house 4) and use as 2 HDD, not RAID. Pretty OK and is in aluminium. They have 2 version of it, mine is suppose to have RAID which you can set but I did not do so. I used it as 2 HDD in 1 casing.
    Got it at IT show from at a shop called Velocity Technology, #04-16 SLQ
    Hope it helps. Also don't think there are any others that works like that.

Go to Storage Studio at SLS, they've lots of ext HDD casings avail.
    U may find one that suits u.

What form factor are your hard drives?

There are plenty of case at SLS that can support four devices, the problem is that you actually need at least 5 devices, including the CD/DVD drive. When choosing your casing, make sure to consider, not just by the number of HDD it can hold, but also make sure that you have a decent power supply and that the casing has good sound insulation and heat dissipation qualities as well.
    sk.images, ex - cyber_m0nkey

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Go to Storage Studio at SLS, they've lots of ext HDD casings avail.
    U may find one that suits u.
    Yes, correct. Go to SLS's Storage Studio and look for Adrian. I remembered he once told me of such solution. Stacking all the hdd into one housing.

Be mentally prepared though.

Such casings to stack such drives do not come cheap. The rough cost for those 5.25 casings is approximately around $100 per bay if u observe the trend.

If you're thinking of snowballing all your different capacity drives together then, Storage studio has got a model that does JBOD (note - there is no redundancy here).

I was in the same situation as you when i had 2 external housings, cannot stand the mess and the cables behind, eventually made the jump due to interface failure in the case.

Deregistered

Apple has one that can hold 3, look for SGL in SLS. #2-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    2) I don't want a USB or firewire solution. Thought the performance will be higher if the whole thing is connected directly to the mother board via one of the card slot. Is thi possible?
    Possible via External SATA, performance should be on par with internal HDDs and a lot better than USB2/Firewire. However it's still not very common locally.

http://www.sata-io.org/esata.asp

this card is cool, 8 e-SATA ports : http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo-x_esata8.html
    Last edited by caseytan; 28th March 2006 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks for the tips. Will go to Storage Studio and Velocity Tech and check them out. Maybe the solution is really go thru all the various raw and gargantuan psd files, and do some spring cleaning.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Thanks for the tips. Will go to Storage Studio and Velocity Tech and check them out. Maybe the solution is really go thru all the various raw and gargantuan psd files, and do some spring cleaning.
    I'm also in need for such solution but doesn't have that many HDD as u do.. i've came across this product at SLS, Thecus. I understand that u prefer not to Raid the HDD together and it so happened that this product do have such option.. Hope u'll find this info useful and is what u're looking for as well..

Cheers..