Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review of the Pantone Huey monitor calibration system

Default Re: Review of the Pantone Huey monitor calibration system

spoke to convergent and standard reply from the technical dept. They would check with US and let us know thru this forum. When? All depends how fast they get reply from US.
    Can somebody followup to their technical dept?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamut Labs
    hey folks, seems like a whole bunch of you are having problems with the Huey, I haven't tried one before so I can't solve the problem as yet.

I'll be back in SG for about 3 months to complete my film in April. Will be back on 3rd April actually.

I'll love to run through the Huey, if someone can bring it down to Bras Basah Complex and to do a comprehensive test against the X-Rite Optix XR.

Most of the problems that I am aware of actually boils down to the fact that there is very little the owner can do on the settings part.

Imagine a microwave where there is only an "Auto-Cook" function button and maybe a few more buttons for "Weight" and "Meat or Pies"

I've been reading about the reviews and really we are looking at a "Point-and-Shoot" device and trying to get it behave like a "SLR" so to speak.

Meanwhile, my stand is obvious, the authorised agent(s)/Manufacturer are paid to solve your problems.

Do check with them on usage and service advice.

ONE MORE THING! - Turn the Room Light Compensation - OFF! (That's the silliest thing to in-corporate into a device that is supposed to keep your colors accurate - Think auto white balance!)

Cheers,
    nic (in London)
    Thanx Nic. looking forward to your return. appreciate your interest in solving the nightmare we had. will volunteer to bring it down to your stated place.

Ahhh! I thought our friend Nic is out of town so I can take his place to help alleviate everyone's colour woes. Since he's coming back, you can all go look for him instead cause he's THE expert.

MelChong72,
    its true that I charge for profiling service but pls dont mix what I'm offering here with the other thread. This FOC info sharing is only for those owning the gretagmacbeth huey device. If you like something on my other Buy&Sell thread do pm/sms me.
    search me on Google "simonKLgoh"

The software does not ask you to set the contrast and brightness levels of your monitor before starting. Is it suppose to set it for you?

normally before beginning calibration,...i always reset my monitor...

Hmm .. this is interesting.

I bought the device during its initial lauch at one of the events. (Think witness should know which one ) .. and yes there is a yellowish/warm cast on my laptop's screen. But weirdly my main desktop has none (Silicon Graphics CRT). CRT in my office (Viewsonic E177 - might have gotten the model wrong) has a warmish cast.

So far, i don't use the "adjust room lighting conditions" feature ...

But strange - I don't see any software update or anything available on sites to update / correct any bugs in the software (if there are any inaccuracies).

I have the same result as you. My LCD shows "yellow" whereas my Samsung 753DF CRT shows pretty normal and nice results - no overly yellow cast.

So the problem is which one is correct? Isnt the calibrator supposed to calibrate monitors so that different model monitors will appear to look the same (same colors reproduction) based on the "industry standard"??

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Hmm .. this is interesting.

I bought the device during its initial lauch at one of the events. (Think witness should know which one ) .. and yes there is a yellowish/warm cast on my laptop's screen. But weirdly my main desktop has none (Silicon Graphics CRT). CRT in my office (Viewsonic E177 - might have gotten the model wrong) has a warmish cast.

So far, i don't use the "adjust room lighting conditions" feature ...

But strange - I don't see any software update or anything available on sites to update / correct any bugs in the software (if there are any inaccuracies).

Still waiting for convergent to reply..

Headache !!
    Got yellow cast too

Wasted $$$

Although this is a cheap product, this can't be happening

Hi all,

To get support for your huey device, go direct to Pantone. GretagMacbeth do not offer support for this device.
    Under "support" go to "ask a question" and then "Find Answers" to search thru a list of previously asked questions. Pls limit your search by keyword pertaining to "huey" or otherwise.
    If u cannot find any useful answers, click on "Ask a Question" and put in your question. Remember to enter your email address so that they can send their reply to u. The product is listed under "Color Control - PANTONE solutions - Huey".
    When their technical staff reply, simply continue your conversation with them until u get a remedy for your situation.

Hope this link can help everyone here. If Convergent fail to help, who can?

regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by YogiBear; 6th April 2006 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolzink
    Thanx Nic. looking forward to your return. appreciate your interest in solving the nightmare we had. will volunteer to bring it down to your stated place.
    Hey all,

I'm back in SG. I'll be at Simple Digital at Bras Basah #02-09 from about 3pm onwards. rolzink - are you able to bring it down tomorrow? I'll test in on both WIN/MAC platforms hopefully I can solve the problems then share it with you guys online.

Guys- which one do you own?

1)GRETAGMACBETH's HUEY - http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/p...ducts_huey.htm

OR

2)PANTONE's HUEY - http://pantone.com/products/products...&idProduct=103

Cheers,
    nic

Guys- which one do you own?

1)GRETAGMACBETH's HUEY - http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/p...ducts_huey.htm

OR

2)PANTONE's HUEY - http://pantone.com/products/products...&idProduct=103

Cheers,
    nic
    Is there a difference? Both looked the same and I guess they run the same too.
    I recently asked GretagMacbeth on whether they support huey; they dont now but was asked to seek support from Pantone instead.
    Last edited by YogiBear; 7th April 2006 at 04:16 AM.

rolzink - are you able to bring it down tomorrow? I'll test in on both WIN/MAC platforms hopefully I can solve the problems then share it with you guys online.
    Hi Nic,

Tomorrow as in Friday, today? Today Im not free. but Sat I can bring down to your stated place around 2pm. Let me know ya. Thanks and welcome home!

Quote Originally Posted by Reyon
    Headache !!
    Got yellow cast too

Wasted $$$
    What do you mean by yellow cast? Colours become warm?
    Mine looks better. It became darker, and slightly cooler. But not sure accurate or not .

My LCD has preset for ECONOMY, TEXT, PHOTO. Which settings to use when calibrating?
    I just tried to cover the sensor for the room reading with mine hand, then I click 'Adjust Now', you know what happened? Nothing happen to the screen. It's not working, ie. it doesn't read the room brightness at all.. wasted $$$ want to return can?

Turn off room light and click 'adjust now' monitor doesn't brightens up or dim down, bright or dark room no change. is it suppose to behave like that.......

Ok folks!

thanks to rolzink's lending me the Huey - Gretag Version. I can say that it's an ok product. Fundamentally, due to the lack of choices for me, (I work in a 5500K space and 2.2 Gamma), I did a install and did exactly what all of you did, the Neutral+Medium contrast setting is usable but I wouldn't trust it to do color critical job.

The default settings are on 6500K and 2.2 gamma. I've compared the profiles with those made by X-Rite's Monaco Optix and it was ok. None of the yellowish issues on my Imac G5 and Dell 6400. I just feel that monochrome images tend to have a greenish shift in tones.

Turning off the ambient light sensor made it more predictable to the prints.

The hardware is pretty decent but this product is designed for beginners who want to get into color management. e.g, your very first digicam. Works better with a good display and graphics card combo, not so good with a weaker combo

Because of the fact that the software doesn't go throught all levels of R G B (insufficient levels to accurately detemine a grey balance), it would behave differently on different displays+graphic card combo.

All in all, it's better than uncalibrated but like i said before, I wouldn't recommend it for critical jobs. Let your eyes adjust to it for awhile, but if monochrome images are showing shift too much shift compared to prints, it might be due to

Once again, thank you rolzink for bringing it down for me to test.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    nic

Strange.

My eyes must be deceiving me. I swear I got a warm colour cast; regardless of whether I calibrate in the dark, ambient light, flou/bulb... or even at the open car park!

Anyone please???

Ok folks!

thanks to rolzink's lending me the Huey - Gretag Version. I can say that it's an ok product. Fundamentally, due to the lack of choices for me, (I work in a 5500K space and 2.2 Gamma), I did a install and did exactly what all of you did, the Neutral+Medium contrast setting is usable but I wouldn't trust it to do color critical job.

The default settings are on 6500K and 2.2 gamma. I've compared the profiles with those made by X-Rite's Monaco Optix and it was ok. None of the yellowish issues on my Imac G5 and Dell 6400. I just feel that monochrome images tend to have a greenish shift in tones.

Turning off the ambient light sensor made it more predictable to the prints.

The hardware is pretty decent but this product is designed for beginners who want to get into color management. e.g, your very first digicam. Works better with a good display and graphics card combo, not so good with a weaker combo

Because of the fact that the software doesn't go throught all levels of R G B (insufficient levels to accurately detemine a grey balance), it would behave differently on different displays+graphic card combo.

All in all, it's better than uncalibrated but like i said before, I wouldn't recommend it for critical jobs. Let your eyes adjust to it for awhile, but if monochrome images are showing shift too much shift compared to prints, it might be due to

Once again, thank you rolzink for bringing it down for me to test.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    nic
    Hey Nic,

Its my pleasure. Should be thankful and greatful to you. You're kind enough to spend time solving and explaining it to use. Hope to meet you in person one day...

Well from your explaination, i think i wont be relying on this HUEY for my monitor... Time to save and get a much proper device.

Anybody interested in my HUEY? Hehee...

Once again, Thanks Nic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast