Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of the Pantone Huey monitor calibration system

Default Re: Review of the Pantone Huey monitor calibration system

I thought Convergent system is the agent?

yup..i heard tt convergent is the agent...to reduce the yellowish cast...try calibrating under natural light instead of ya electric room lights...

cheers

Yeah. convergence is the distributor, but RVC are the pple supporting the product.
    I was working at the IT show, selling the Gretagmacbeth for the last 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by humbug

Not interesting..... very discouraging instead.

seems like a lot of people not happy with this HUEY...has anyone compared with a side by side calibration done by other devices?
    DR KOH KHO KING

i'm no pro on this but i'm currently doing it against the spyder....and i have yet to achieve calibration results like the spyder....another reason for this maybe the simplicity of the device...

but on the overall i tink this device is pretty decent for its price.... and on my laptop...so far so good for me..i'm getting pretty neutral greys...juz trying to further reduce the yellowish cast....

During the calibration process, did you turn off the room light? From what I read...ambient light might enter the devices and affect the calibration accuracy...not sure if this is true or not...

I think we need a standard procedures or accurate way of achieving the best results...eg. Should the calibration been done in complete darkness?
    DR KOH KHO KING

act...i haven done that...but with the gregtag...i noticed that calibrating under natural light has a slightly less yellowish cast instead of under electric lights...will perform more tests during the weekend.... buten again...this is only for my laptop( due to the portability and ambient calibration) and based on my recollection of how it used to look under the spyder.... will have to prob calibrate more devices to be sure..

Are there 2 versions?
    I only see Gretagmacbeth on the device here but not the Huey.

B&S sure flooded with the device ....

the gretagmacbeth is also known as the huey if i am not mistaken

if so frustrating then do you recommend that others buy this thing?
    is the spyder pro2 better ?
    does it help calibrate the monitor only but not the printer output?
    what is used to calibrate printer output ?

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    if so frustrating then do you recommend that others buy this thing?
    is the spyder pro2 better ?
    does it help calibrate the monitor only but not the printer output?
    what is used to calibrate printer output ?
    Spyder Pro 2 is tripple the price...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Rather disappointed with the Huey. I have tried calibrating it in the dark, under flourescent lighting, bulb, etc and also ensuring that my notebook LCD was powered on for about 30 mins. Still give me that 'warm' look when set on the supposed NEUTRAL setting.

Just about the only thing I have yet to do is calibrate under ambient lighting... natural light in the open. Did not attempt that in the first place cos I don't do my work in the open!

The reason why I bought this device was for the fact that it was hardware based and I heard that I don't have to fiddle with my laptop's contrast and brightness.

My laptop (Travelmate 800) has a brightness control but no contrast control. Otherwise I would have just used the lame Adobe Gamma.

Can anyone advice me if the better products can be operated w/out having a contrast control (only a brightness control) ?

Appreciate.

P.S. Sorry for the haphazard typing and flow of words above. Really frustrating experience thus far.

You experienced the "yellow" cast? I tried to calibrate under diff light but get same results too (yellow) on my LCD. I do not think the environment light will affect because the sensor is actually encased between the monitor and the stick so it wont be expose to the surrouding.

BUT BUT BUT i tried to calibrate on my CRT Samsunt 17 inches and you know what? It does not have that "yellow" cast!!!! Why diff results???? They supposed to be calibrated to the same "industry standard" issnt it???

Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    Rather disappointed with the Huey. I have tried calibrating it in the dark, under flourescent lighting, bulb, etc and also ensuring that my notebook LCD was powered on for about 30 mins. Still give me that 'warm' look when set on the supposed NEUTRAL setting.

Just about the only thing I have yet to do is calibrate under ambient lighting... natural light in the open. Did not attempt that in the first place cos I don't do my work in the open!

The reason why I bought this device was for the fact that it was hardware based and I heard that I don't have to fiddle with my laptop's contrast and brightness.

My laptop (Travelmate 800) has a brightness control but no contrast control. Otherwise I would have just used the lame Adobe Gamma.

Can anyone advice me if the better products can be operated w/out having a contrast control (only a brightness control) ?

Appreciate.

P.S. Sorry for the haphazard typing and flow of words above. Really frustrating experience thus far.

Hi all,

I dont own GretagMacbeth huey but have used a variety of these profiling tools before: Spyder, SpyderPro, Spyder2, i1 Display, i1 Display2, and will be getting my hands on an Optix XR very soon.

If you have problems with determining what went wrong with your new tool, I can help by using my current Eye-One Display2 on your monitors and comparing the results of both yours n mine. In the meantime I'll explain what conditions are best, what lighting to use, and hope to be able to answer all questions as best as I could.

I wont be charging for this service but would welcome a drink in return for speaking at length to explain stuff you need to know.

With that, do make an appointment with me by checking on my Buy&Sell section for my number or check this out.
    search me on Google "simonKLgoh"

Cheers to you mate

Unfortunately, I don't have such luck with all 3 under all indoor (normal or dark surroundings) on all 3 of my computers... 1 laptop, 1 LCD desktop and 1 CRT desktop

TGIF.

Quote Originally Posted by txv611
    You experienced the "yellow" cast? I tried to calibrate under diff light but get same results too (yellow) on my LCD. I do not think the environment light will affect because the sensor is actually encased between the monitor and the stick so it wont be expose to the surrouding.

BUT BUT BUT i tried to calibrate on my CRT Samsunt 17 inches and you know what? It does not have that "yellow" cast!!!! Why diff results???? They supposed to be calibrated to the same "industry standard" issnt it???

Hi Yogi,

You mentioned you wont be charging for the service below but your link in the other advertisment said otherwise. Could you please clarify? Would like to see your assistance on profiling and studio light. Would you be kind enough to drop by on a weekday evening?

Quote Originally Posted by YogiBear
    Hi all,

I dont own GretagMacbeth huey but have used a variety of these profiling tools before: Spyder, SpyderPro, Spyder2, i1 Display, i1 Display2, and will be getting my hands on an Optix XR very soon.

If you have problems with determining what went wrong with your new tool, I can help by using my current Eye-One Display2 on your monitors and comparing the results of both yours n mine. In the meantime I'll explain what conditions are best, what lighting to use, and hope to be able to answer all questions as best as I could.

I wont be charging for this service but would welcome a drink in return for speaking at length to explain stuff you need to know.

With that, do make an appointment with me by checking on my Buy&Sell section for my number or check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by melcheong72
    Hi Yogi,

You mentioned you wont be charging for the service below but your link in the other advertisment said otherwise. Could you please clarify? Would like to see your assistance on profiling and studio light. Would you be kind enough to drop by on a weekday evening?
    I think he meant that he wouldnt be charging for the monitor calibration differences knowledge he is going to pass on to you, with reference to the Huey and his Eyeone display. Nothing being mentioned abt studio lightings, etc... (which is chargable as from the other thread).

Cheers

hey folks, seems like a whole bunch of you are having problems with the Huey, I haven't tried one before so I can't solve the problem as yet.

I'll be back in SG for about 3 months to complete my film in April. Will be back on 3rd April actually.

I'll love to run through the Huey, if someone can bring it down to Bras Basah Complex and to do a comprehensive test against the X-Rite Optix XR.

Most of the problems that I am aware of actually boils down to the fact that there is very little the owner can do on the settings part.

Imagine a microwave where there is only an "Auto-Cook" function button and maybe a few more buttons for "Weight" and "Meat or Pies"

I've been reading about the reviews and really we are looking at a "Point-and-Shoot" device and trying to get it behave like a "SLR" so to speak.

Meanwhile, my stand is obvious, the authorised agent(s)/Manufacturer are paid to solve your problems.

Do check with them on usage and service advice.

ONE MORE THING! - Turn the Room Light Compensation - OFF! (That's the silliest thing to in-corporate into a device that is supposed to keep your colors accurate - Think auto white balance!)

Cheers,
    nic (in London)
    Last edited by Gamut Labs; 31st March 2006 at 08:10 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast