Thread: Recommendations for a newbie

Default Recommendations for a newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to photography and I would need some recommendations.

I've recently inherited my friend's manual SLR stuff. I'm rather interested to pick up photography and will definitely foreseen this interest going on for some time.

His setup is a Nikon F65 and 2 lenses.

I know that film photography is definitely expensive cos of the film that I will have to buy and the high developing costs. My question is should I invest money in a digital SLR instead? Which digital SLR would you recommend then?

Default Re: Recommendations for a newbie

canon 350D or nikond70s maybe..the price also reasonable for newbie..i'am a newbie too..

Blog Entries

since you already inherited 2 lenses from your friend
    you should be looking at reusing these lenses

so either a Nikon D50, D70s

if it is a long run consideration then go digital

Quote Originally Posted by gammatian
    Hi everyone,

I've recently inherited my friend's manual SLR stuff. I'm rather interested to pick up photography and will definitely foreseen this interest going on for some time.

I know that film photography is definitely expensive cos of the film that I will have to buy and the high developing costs. My question is should I invest money in a digital SLR instead? Which digital SLR would you recommend then?
    wat lenses are those? i suppose if it comes with F65 not those very old ones la. those very old lenses may not be compatible with newer SLRs/DSLRs.

u got any budget? D50/D70(s) are good choices for newbies. or u can consider 2nd-hand also. many D70(s) are selling in the buy n sell forum here. i got mine from there too.

before i got a DSLR, was deciding whether to get anot too. developing is ex, and i dun wanna have so many prints to keep at home. so my alternative is to get a film scanner, which can give me very high resolution if i want, plus benefits of using film(no white bal issues, noise...etc). thing is that this is very troublesome. oh by the way u can ask the photo dev shop to just develop the film without prints. just a couple of bucks. duno if anyone really does it this way though. this was just wat i was thinking then...but being the lazy me, i just got a DSLR...haha...

Quote Originally Posted by gammatian
    Hi everyone,

Wow, your friend is good! All my friends will not give me their set-up.

Anyway, I have got a F65 with 28-80 & 70 - 300mm lens, both kit lens that came together with the F65 as a package. Film is a different medium from Digital. I started out with the F65 and got the D50, cause I like the D50 design, and I could use both the nikon lens I already have. Of course, the main lens I use is the kit len.

I am going digital, cause I find digital image easier to store, and I could edit and print out collages. Although I stll have the F65, I hardly use it since I got the D50.

If you are really interested in photography, both ways will do ( film or digital), although for digital, you would need to buy a DSLR body to complement, which means higher start-up cost. For film, you would have a higher cost in the long run (perhaps) due to film, but it would depend on you.

You would also need accessories like flash, batteries, flash cards, tripods etc. DO a search on what you would need. You would probably find lots of articles and post on digital vs film.

So it would finally depend on your budget. As for me as a amatuer photographer, who is not in the profession, I would say digital is the way to go for me.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams