Thread: Which way of cropping gives better print results?

Default Which way of cropping gives better print results?

Hi all, realised that there are few ways of cropping an image. Namely the select tool way which gives u the ratio aspect and after cropping ur image resolutions remain at 72 pixels/inch. The other the way is to use the cropping tool which you key in the exact measurements, like say 4inch by 6inch and it gives you the exact measurements with resolutions much higher than 72 pixels/inch.

Pls advice. Thanks.

Stevick
    Singapore
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/stevick_lee
    Sony DSC F717
    Fujifilm S304
    Canon Ixus V2
    Ricoh RDC6000
    Nikon F601M

Hmmm... I think for print, 72 pixels/inch is grossly insufficient.
    72pixels/inch is best for web or display on monitor, but for print I think should be higher, such as 300 pixels/inch? I normally use at least 200pixels/inch for printing stuff for my archi project. I might be wrong.
    Please do not respond to ads from a long time ago. Chances are items have already been sold.

Default Re: Which way of cropping gives better print results?

Originally posted by Stevick_Lee
    Hi all, realised that there are few ways of cropping an image. Namely the select tool way which gives u the ratio aspect and after cropping ur image resolutions remain at 72 pixels/inch. The other the way is to use the cropping tool which you key in the exact measurements, like say 4inch by 6inch and it gives you the exact measurements with resolutions much higher than 72 pixels/inch.

Pls advice. Thanks.

Stevick
    Singapore
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/stevick_lee
    Sony DSC F717
    Fujifilm S304
    Canon Ixus V2
    Ricoh RDC6000
    Nikon F601M
    Ignore the 72ppi shown in photoshop. Without the output size, that figure is meaningless. Use the select tool, specify the desired ratio and crop.

Go Image->Image Size. Uncheck "Resample". Enter desired print size in inches. Then check the ppi number. If it's at least 150ppi, then it's okay.

Regards
    CK