Thread: Macro: 50mm or 105mm?

Default Macro: 50mm or 105mm?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a macro lens to do insect photography. However, I can't come to a decision on whether to get the 50mm or 105mm macro. Anyone has experience in both these lenses, and can share any advice?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Macro: 50mm or 105mm?

Quote Originally Posted by asturias105
    Hi all,

I'm considering buying a macro lens to do insect photography. However, I can't come to a decision on whether to get the 50mm or 105mm macro. Anyone has experience in both these lenses, and can share any advice?

Thanks!
    bug shots? go long. 105mm possible. 180mm better still, if u managed to get ur hands on the tamron 180mm.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Deregistered

200 f/4 Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    bug shots? go long. 105mm possible. 180mm better still, if u managed to get ur hands on the tamron 180mm.
    Thanks for your input! I was wondering if 105mm will give a shallower depth of view (which is disadvantage in shooting macro) than the 50mm one.

105mm better, too close to the bugs and end up taking leaves...

Blog Entries

105mm good balance of working distance/weight/hand holdability

yes the longer the focal lenght the lesser the dof, so you got to find yourself a nice balance

Thanks for your input! I was wondering if 105mm will give a shallower depth of view (which is disadvantage in shooting macro) than the 50mm one.
    Most of the time you might need to shoot at f/8 or f/11 anyway.

Blog Entries

hehe... i doubt u'll want to shoot at f2.8 for macro... at that range, most probably u'll end up with a very sharp eyeball and blur everything else. nice for portraits, but u'll get by the macro shooters....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Hi all,

Thanks!
    I suggest you go for 105mm. Personally, i have got a 60mm. Indeed, faced some challenges while shooting insects with 60mm. If you go for 50mm, i think you will share the same pain or more.

I used Tamron 90mm. great lense for the price and also easy to handheld. I tried the Canon 180mm but need tripod to get good shot. If you had never took insects before you will soon learn that by the time you set up your tripod, they are gone (most of the time).

50mm is a litle too short to use. so the normal length of 90mm to 105mm is suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    I used Tamron 90mm. great lense for the price and also easy to handheld. I tried the Canon 180mm but need tripod to get good shot. If you had never took insects before you will soon learn that by the time you set up your tripod, they are gone (most of the time).

50mm is a litle too short to use. so the normal length of 90mm to 105mm is suitable.
    Thanks for ur advice, DeSwitch.

I've actually done macro using reversed lens before.. so I know what it is like to shoot at near distance. I guess u'r rite that 90mm or 105 mm is more suitable, but I couldn't decide on which to get still, because of the price difference.

Blog Entries

Thanks for ur advice, DeSwitch.

I've actually done macro using reversed lens before.. so I know what it is like to shoot at near distance. I guess u'r rite that 90mm or 105 mm is more suitable, but I couldn't decide on which to get still, because of the price difference.
    eh... which system are u using, dun mind i ask?

tamron 90mm are going at quite a reasonable price in B/S - ard $500? there's a new tokina 100mm/f2.8 1:1 macro. not a bad lens too.

If you are using digital slr go for tamron 90mm. Of course good buy will be the nikon 105mm and you can use extension tube to have more reach or increase magnifications.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Deregistered

Get the best... 200 f/4 Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    eh... which system are u using, dun mind i ask?

tamron 90mm are going at quite a reasonable price in B/S - ard $500? there's a new tokina 100mm/f2.8 1:1 macro. not a bad lens too.
    Hi nw, I'm using 300D. I'm now still on the lookout for 2nd hand macro lens in bns.. no one selling canon's one currently though. :| .. haha

Tokina's 100mm.. how much does it cost??

From what i know, Tokina's 100mm macro is cheaper than Tamron 90mm macro, available in Canon & Nikon mounts only!
    Last edited by Caicaizi; 28th March 2006 at 09:52 PM.

$545 when under promo.. Not sure if promo still on..

Hi nw, I'm using 300D. I'm now still on the lookout for 2nd hand macro lens in bns.. no one selling canon's one currently though. :| .. haha

Blog Entries

orh... okie. makes things easier now.

the excellent canon 100mm macro, think i saw one on sale a couple of weeks ago. if not, the tokina is the latest 3rd-party macro lens on sale. i do believe the promo is still on at CP.