Thread: Silical gels need in camera bag when travel to country in cooler weather?

Default Silical gels need in camera bag when travel to country in cooler weather?

I be going to China, Si Chuan and be visting Jiu Zhai Gou. The temperature there range between 8 degree celcius to 19 degree celcius. The mountain region in Jiu Zhai Gou will be colder as it range from as low as 4 degree cecius.

As the weather is cool there and if I am not wrong, the humidity is also lower than Spore, will I need to put in silical gel in my camera bag in such weather condition? By the way, I already had a small tiny pad of silical gel in my camera bag which comes with together with the bag when I brought it. If I put additional silical gel, will it make the camera bag too dry and damaged my camera and lens inside?

Advise needed as I be leaving to China very soon.Thanks a lot for the advices!!!!!

Deregistered

Default Re: Silical gels need in camera bag when travel to country in cooler weather?

Nope, I didn't put any in the bags I carried along.

Default Re: Silical gels need in camera bag when travel to country in cooler weather?

i wont bother also ur bag is not air tight so there's very little what the sillica can do. most impt is to watch out for temperature changes. if you really care for ur gear you cld buy a tupperware that's a nice size to fit ur cam and store it with sillica gel and bring it along

An alternative to tupperware would be ziplock bags. But I don't carry any drying agents during travel.

Thanks so much for all the useful advices! From the reply, so I can presume it is not necessary to put the drying agents in the camera bag right? You guys travel to cool weather country as well?

Actually, the small pack of silica gel is practically useless, cause when it absorbs its limit of moisture, you need to reheat it, and with the small packet, you can't absorb much. Even in Singapore, I don't carry drying agents, nor put the camera in ziplock bag, cause it would only serve to slow down my chances of taking a shot. Common sense and regular maintenance is more important. My Camera has been in my bag for 3 weeks now, and its still pretty ok.

I think the important thing in cold weather is to take out your camera only when you want to shoot, so as to conserve battery. Just bring extra.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by colour
    I be going to China, Si Chuan and be visting Jiu Zhai Gou. The temperature there range between 8 degree celcius to 19 degree celcius. The mountain region in Jiu Zhai Gou will be colder as it range from as low as 4 degree cecius.

As the weather is cool there and if I am not wrong, the humidity is also lower than Spore, will I need to put in silical gel in my camera bag in such weather condition? By the way, I already had a small tiny pad of silical gel in my camera bag which comes with together with the bag when I brought it. If I put additional silical gel, will it make the camera bag too dry and damaged my camera and lens inside?

Advise needed as I be leaving to China very soon.Thanks a lot for the advices!!!!!

if i am not mistaken..silica gel is to absorb the humidity...since the weather is cooler...and humidity is lower...then u still need silica for wat? hehe

anyway the silica gel in a bag is prob useless by now.... too long in the humid spore weather should have expanded it hahaha

cheerios
    Last edited by Witness; 27th March 2006 at 05:32 PM.