Thread: Here, fishy, fishy!

Default Here, fishy, fishy!

My first photo submitted for critique...

Sunset in Punggol
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Default Re: Here, fishy, fishy!

ot abit :just curious man....is this the same place where the jetty to obs is? with only one bus service there..82?

i think it's the same place
    eat. drink. shoot

Hi philip, pardon my criticism hor but I really feel nothing leh. The subject should be those people fishing right? Too small to be subject, hence become distraction I think. I also prefer silhouette vs underexposed fishermen. Today sunset is very nice, perhaps you should focus on the sunset rather than include them.

Thanks for the C&C....

The focus is the sunset... but I felt it would be a quite boring pic without the anglers. I felt that they are not a distraction but adds to the picture. Still, thank you for your viewpoint... I will keep it in mind.

I agree with phillip... just the plain sunset pic would be boring. Since there's nothing striking about the surroundings you need to find an element to serve as foreground interest.

You concept is strong but execution is lacking... composition needs improvement. Instead of a high view point you might want to consider going lower... silhouette a lone fisherman with the sunset behind him... shooting from a low angle up might work.

Just some suggestions. Generally high viewpoints are gd only if there's expansive n breath taking scenery to capture. If the landscape is plain no point going high to capture it. Look for interesting elements instead and attempt tighter crops.

dunno if it's just me, the pic looks a bit soft.

Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    dunno if it's just me, the pic looks a bit soft.
    Can't really be helped. Phillip could have increased contrast (thereby creating an impression of crispness, ie sharpness) but that would cause clipping of the highlights.

USM wouldn't be of much help here (works via edge contrast) since its more the muted tones that's causing the "softness"

Thanks for the comments, guys! Will keep them in mind.