Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the must place to visit in Melbourne?

Default Re: What is the must place to visit in Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat
    Can share your grampian pics?
    http://www.angelfire.com/space2/fireblade/victoria

Bro, I think you've seen my travelog before... Here's the view from Boroka's Lookout, with the lovely town of Halls Gap in the distance. Problem is, after the recent huge forest fire, it may not look so green anymore...

Last edited by philliptan; 19th April 2006 at 10:36 AM.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Haze
    .... come with me 'D
    Wah, siew zhey, say go then go ah? I also want lah!!!
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

50hrs more to go ...lalalalala

hey guys.. i wan to buy..

How many bottle of red wine/hard liquor can we take back from melbourne?

how about any recommendation of red wine can i buy that cannot get in singapore?

Budget below AUD30 per bottle ...

Any Red wine ppl here?

You've got a packed schedule. I don't know if you have enough time get out of the car to relax and enjoy the sights.

Anyway, if you are thinking of luxurious cars for your trip, go to great boats & cars, if I can remember its very near to Richmond train station (junction of Hoddle & Swan St.) just out of the city. There you can rent your AC Cobras, Ferraris, Porsches, TVRs, Lotus Elise, etc. I think they also have some Z4s, S2000s, WRXs...

By the way, if you drive in Australia, please drive on the left(especially on hwys). Do not hog the right lane and PLEASE use your indicators.

Oh yeah get yourself a copy of Melways. Much better than the street directories provided by the rental companies.

Hi Haze, when are you going? I have booked my trip to Melbourne from 26th Apr to 5th May. Actually had this similar post in another thread but anyway, just to share some of my plans with you below

It will be a free and easy self drive trip with my wife spending 9 days over there (bit short but that is all i can spare ).

Day 1: Reach Melbourne in the morning, check in hotel and explore Melbourne City
    Day 2: Pick up car and drive to Yarra's Valley, go for wine appreciation and explore further
    Day 3: Leave Yarra's Valley by late morning and head for Mornington Peninsular. Explore strawberry farm, spa, Arthur's chairlift or Cape Schank lighthouse
    Day 4: Leave Mornington, take ferry across to Queenscliff, and head towards great ocean road. Reach Apollo Bay by evening
    Day 5: Continue drive down across Cape Otway, 12 apostles and reach Warnambool by evening.
    Day 6: Head for Grampians NP, and explore for there for rest of day
    Day 7: Leave for Ballarat/Gold mining town and explore for rest of the day.
    Day 8: Head back to Melbourne city and do last min shopping.
    Day 9: Return car and head back to Singapore

For those who are there before, care to comment on my planned itenery? Like in each town which place is worth visiting! Thanks in advance!

Oh yes. And please do not speed. At the most +10km/h
    You have no idea how "on the ball" the Victorian Police can be. They really put the S'pore Traffic Police to shame.

If you see cars flashing their high beams on the opposite direction, this means there is a speed camera up ahead. Drive with caution.

how about any recommendation of red wine can i buy that cannot get in singapore?

Any Red wine ppl here?
    Frankly, there is no real restriction. On my last trip, i personally carried 8 bottles of wine from Australia. It is very very rare for Customs to ask or even check, so i daresay, go for it.

There are lots of Wine which cannot be found in SG. If you are personally visiting wineries, go for the cellar door releases - these are only sold at the winery itself, and not available elsewhere. Having said that, there are normal releases which are pretty good too, make sure you taste them first.

My personal favourites are the Blanc de Blanc (sparkling white - should be selling 2002 version now), and Sparkling Pinot Shiraz (sparkling red, easy to drink). Both are from Domaine Chandon, who are renowed for sparkling wine. Quite rare to find red wines which can you can pop, the Pinot Shiraz is one of them.

Brown Brothers has quite a few good ones, most of them are sold in SG, except the Dolcetto & Syrah. Easy to drink and should be chilled slightly. Grab at least one if you can! (Ciena is a similar-tasting one, slightly lighter, and is sold in SG, so no need to cart back from Melb)

Enjoy the wines and have a blast.
    Last edited by sojourner; 20th April 2006 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Skye for your comments! Have made many changes since that post Anyway, just thought I would share my latest itenery with you guys as reference for your future trips?

Day 1: Reach Melbourne in the morning, check in hotel and explore Melbourne City
    Day 2: Pick up car and drive to Mornington Pen, Explore strawberry farm, Arthur's chairlift or Cape Schank lighthouse for rest of the day
    Day 3: Leave Mornington, take ferry across to Queenscliff, and head towards great ocean road. Stop by Torquay, Lorne along the way and reach Apollo Bay by evening
    Day 4: Continue drive across and explore Cape Otway, 12 apostles and reach Warnambool by evening.
    Day 5: Head for Grampians NP in morning, and explore for there for rest of day
    Day 6: This full day will be dedicated to explore the Grampians area either thru walking/4WD tours.
    Day 7: Leave Grampians and reach Mel city by late noon. Cover those places we did not cover previously in Mel city.
    Day 8: Leave for Yarra's Valley in the morning and shld reach b4 noon. Spend rest of the day in wineries and sight seeing.
    Day 9: Leave Yarra Valley for Mel airport

Hope this is informative

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Frankly, there is no real restriction. On my last trip, i personally carried 8 bottles of wine from Australia. It is very very rare for Customs to ask or even check, so i daresay, go for it.

There are lots of Wine which cannot be found in SG. If you are personally visiting wineries, go for the cellar door releases - these are only sold at the winery itself, and not available elsewhere. Having said that, there are normal releases which are pretty good too, make sure you taste them first.

My personal favourites are the Blanc de Blanc (sparkling white - should be selling 2002 version now), and Sparkling Pinot Shiraz (sparkling red, easy to drink). Both are from Domaine Chandon, who are renowed for sparkling wine. Quite rare to find red wines which can you can pop, the Pinot Shiraz is one of them.

Brown Brothers has quite a few good ones, most of them are sold in SG, except the Dolcetto & Syrah. Easy to drink and should be chilled slightly. Grab at least one if you can! (Ciena is a similar-tasting one, slightly lighter, and is sold in SG, so no need to cart back from Melb)

Enjoy the wines and have a blast.
    Sparkling Pinot Shiraz can find in singapore?

Thanks Skye for your comments! Have made many changes since that post Anyway, just thought I would share my latest itenery with you guys as reference for your future trips?

Day 2: Pick up car and drive to Mornington Pen, Explore strawberry farm, Arthur's chairlift or Cape Schank lighthouse for rest of the day
    Day 3: Leave Mornington, take ferry across to Queenscliff, and head towards great ocean road. Stop by Torquay, Lorne along the way and reach Apollo Bay by evening
    Day 4: Continue drive across and explore Cape Otway, 12 apostles and reach Warnambool by evening.
    Day 5: Head for Grampians NP in morning, and explore for there for rest of day
    Day 6: This full day will be dedicated to explore the Grampians area either thru walking/4WD tours.
    Day 7: Leave Grampians and reach Mel city by late noon. Cover those places we did not cover previously in Mel city.
    Day 8: Leave for Yarra's Valley in the morning and shld reach b4 noon. Spend rest of the day in wineries and sight seeing.
    Day 9: Leave Yarra Valley for Mel airport

Hope this is informative
    sound good ... how much do u think will spend on the trip?

Ha.... everthing in I believe will be 3K+ and close to 4K for 2 of us

Ha.... everthing in I believe will be 3K+ and close to 4K for 2 of us
    2 person 4k.. i think quite standard right ... Air ticket.. $1532 gone liao.. i taking SIA

Sparkling Pinot Shiraz can find in singapore?
    Blanc de Blanc and Sparkling Pinot Shiraz cannot be found in SG. In fact have never seen any Domaine Chandon wines on sale in SG.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Blanc de Blanc and Sparkling Pinot Shiraz cannot be found in SG. In fact have never seen any Domaine Chandon wines on sale in SG.
    so das thanks...

what else is a good buy in melbourne? i mean in terms of snacks/chocolate/ tibits etc..

50hrs more to go ...lalalalala
    Looks like you really, super and very looking forward to the trip

what else is a good buy in melbourne? i mean in terms of snacks/chocolate/ tibits etc..
    There are lots of snack varieties in the supermarket. Visit the Coles or Safeway, take your time to browse through the local products.. many are quite cheap and very nice. Coles open 24hrs and Safeway till 12AM daily. You may want to visit the stores in the early part of your trip so by the time you leaving, you know which are the ones to buy back Singapore.

Still, I think the best things to have out of your trip would be the photos and videos taken with your camera

Any Red wine ppl here?

Haze, you can find the pricing here http://www.danmurphy.com.au/03-vic/specials.php

Juz download the pdf file...you can see the prices. No point buying so ex...if you are not fussy. Coz most of the times, I don't think I can tell the big difference btw good or bad wines.

To me, any wine is good as long as I KO happily.

Try Champagne too..... You can get them around Aud$7 to 10 per bottle. Try shower it with ur hubby lor

You have a great trip...

2 person 4k.. i think quite standard right ... Air ticket.. $1532 gone liao.. i taking SIA
    Ya... me taking SQ as well. 700+ per person for ticket lor... then got the best western pass package and top up the outstanding amount for the rest of the days not covered How much you spent then?

Ya... me taking SQ as well. 700+ per person for ticket lor... then got the best western pass package and top up the outstanding amount for the rest of the days not covered How much you spent then?

Sorry, the 700+ inclusive of fuel and other charges? Coz mine is Aud$900+ for 35days ley.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Haze, you can find the pricing here http://www.danmurphy.com.au/03-vic/specials.php

Juz download the pdf file...you can see the prices. No point buying so ex...if you are not fussy. Coz most of the times, I don't think I can tell the big difference btw good or bad wines.

To me, any wine is good as long as I KO happily.

Try Champagne too..... You can get them around Aud$7 to 10 per bottle. Try shower it with ur hubby lor

You have a great trip...
    hey ... thanks ... u are always so sweet

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast