Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the must place to visit in Melbourne?

Default Re: What is the must place to visit in Melbourne?

consider campervan, it saves you on hotel costs and alot more when it comes to food cos you can cook your own in the van. can park in campervan park at night for about A$20, have power and electricity, can wash clothes etc also. very good way to travel outside town. been there 5 times the last was best cos i travel in a camper van and really a lot more freesdom to do what you want.

http://www.travellers-autobarn.com.a...n-theme_v6.jpg

go take a look at the link

Hi Haze

No wonder my ears were itching like crazy these past couple of days.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip Down Under last year and hope you and yours will too.

Check our travellog for details. If you are going to stay at Halls Gap (lovely place), then don't forget to go to the Ice Creamery to try their Stairway to Heaven - White chocolate, caramel toppings and dark chocolate flakes. I wish that I had a second cone when I was there. Their hotdogs are nice too.

If you are going to Victoria's Farmers Market, get the 4 cheeses for A$10 and get the one with the apricot. That was the best of the lot I got!

I would do the Melbourne/Victoria trip again (must get $$$ first) but of course skip some places and add plant nurseries to my IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Haze
    Hi Philips... thanks... i think no need to plan liao.. my friend said rent car to travel out too tiring and dangerous.. so we will join the backpackers tour

Three months after I got my driving license (in SIngapore), we were off to Tasmania for our honeymoon and our first driving holiday. Although its a more difficult place to drive than Melbourne, we did well and had a great time.

Since than we have done numereous driving trips to different parts of Australia (about 6 trips including one from Brisbane to Sydney), New Zealand (twice), Scotland, Cyprus (our favorite) and even Malaysia. In my humble opinion, our neghbour up north is more dangerous than any that we have encounter.

Ausrtralia and New Zealand are very tourist friendly and the road signs are very informative. There are also many tourist information booth in most towns and even villages. Most Aussies are very disciplined drivers. we noticed that they'll immediately keep back to the left after overtaking. For those that stay on the right, we'll laugh and identify them as our fellow citizens.

The danger of driving is in oneself. If you practise safe driving and do not a overly pack itinery, you'll be ok. Do note that its very important to take a break after 2 hours of continuous driving by the same driver.

PS. Backpacker groups are fun too, we did it once in Alice Spring/Ayer Rocks. It had a very international mix and it was fun. Have a safe and pleasant trip!

Do include Ballerat, as its not just a mining town, its an experience to the living condition in the colonial days. There's even a photo studio (using the skylight) and a delicous bakery.
    Last edited by since63; 29th March 2006 at 01:11 PM.

BTW if you are going down to Philips island, better make sure you bring enough warm clothing. The last time I was there with my family, it was pretty hot during the day and we were all in our T-shirts and pants. When we started to wait for the fairy penguins, which btw, is quite small, it gradually got colder and colder. by the time the penguins arrived, we were so cold that we had to leave. so sad
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Apollo Bay
    Halls Gap
    Grampians
    12 Apostles
    Actually Apollo Bay is worth staying overnight there right cos they got some accomodation with superb views overlooking the Bay. I actually emailed some of these accomodations and got the prices from them and from pictures the views are simply awesome. Some are very near the coastline, next to the beach whereas some are higher up on the hills with a much better view.

Guys, any idea what to explore at:

1) Apollo Bay
    2) Cape Otway

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat

1) Apollo Bay
    2) Cape Otway
    Bro, at Apollo Bay you should visit the shops at the town centre... and also the nearby coastlines...

Cape Otway, visit the lighthouse and the many creeks around the park.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

poiter86
    Guests

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I visited Melbourne last year (from Perth). As others have suggested, the Great ocean road is truly great. From personal experience, here are some details for you ...

I can recommend taking 2 days to travel the great ocean road. A good option is to leave Melb in early in the morning, then drive the inland road west when you leave Melbourne and pass through some nice country towns and eventually lead the to western coastal town of Warrnambool at lunch time.

Get your lunch in town and take it to the lookout for the views. After lunch take the road out of town to get onto the great ocean road. There are many places along the coast line to get some great photos.
    A great option (although expensive) is to take a chopper ride and see the spectacular coastline from the air .. like this

As you continue east along the coastline, you will eventually reach Otwey national park. Careful as the roads are very windy up the hill (but great to drive if you are experienced!). There's plenty of natural attractions in the forest to keep anyone happy. Should be nearing the end of the day and I higly recommend staying in Apollo Bay and experiencing sunset on the beach there.

There is a cool night tour to see Glow worms from there as well. Rather interesting, but not for taking photos. This option is different to the route many ppl take and saves the best features along GOR for later in the day.

Next day, return to Melb and keep exploring

A few more ideas: Puffing Billy is fun, Phillip island penguins average, city trams, St kilda, luna park, Federation sq, bridge road, chapel st, south bank yarra river, William Rickets Sanctuary a hidden gem, tooo much to list all.

Here is a great resource to plan your trip http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Sorry if 1st post is long Also less than ideal photos from cheap P&S

Cheers, Peter

things to see.. the usual are:
    - GOR
    - puffing billy
    - phillip island
    - victoria market
    - lygon st
    - chapel st.

others might be:
    - wilsons promontory - squeeky beach
    - grampians
    - cape shanck.. beachside cliffs covered in lava rock from many years ago.
    ermmm... yeh...

i miss melbourne =(

1) Apollo Bay
    2) Cape Otway
    Otway? Try the nature reserve...

Why dun like our country.. to me so far so good ... maybe after melbourne trip i will have same thinking with u kekeke
    After the trip, you might have a second view

I just simply love the way of life over there and imagine driving out of the city, there are so many nature place to visit.

Thanks! Phillip and Poiter, how much is the chopper ride?? And how long is the ride?

I will be entering GOR from Mornington Peninsular which means from Queenscliffe -> Torquay -> Lorne -> Apollo Bay then overnight there at Apollo Bay.

Next morning leave Apollo Bay -> Cape Otway -> Port Campbell (12 Apostles) -> Warnambool then overnight there.

This plan good?

Oh one more thing... I was going through some articles on Grampians national park and my... they have really some nice flowers and fern there! Good to bring the 100mm macro there??

Can advise on the chopper ride?

Grampians, Mt buller, Penguin Island, Victoria Market, South Melbourne Beach, Frankston Beach, Box Hill for chinese food !, Shopping at Chadstone and knox Central, Billy Puff train ride, Wilsom Prom, Ballarat ! ! .. try all this because i tried all !!

My hubby drove to KL before.. consider experience???
    no matter how experience U are... u wont know when, how e accident happen
    & the road there are total different from KL.
    i went before also self drive from Melbourne to Gold Coast, i enjoy & it really fun.
    juz bear in mind DO NOT SPEED!!! & U will have a nice & enjoyable trip..

Quote Originally Posted by jelau12
    no matter how experience U are... u wont know when, how e accident happen
    & the road there are total different from KL.
    i went before also self drive from Melbourne to Gold Coast, i enjoy & it really fun.
    juz bear in mind DO NOT SPEED!!! & U will have a nice & enjoyable trip..
    after serious thinking, we not renting the car to GOR.. because my hubby is chicken eyes.. love to sleep... driving 8 hrs everyday for 3 days guess he cannot make it

not "guess" i am quite sure he cannot make it :P

Wah! 8 hours everyday? You driving from Sydney to Adelade ah you can complete GOR in a day wat... like 2 hours a day

Wah! 8 hours everyday? You driving from Sydney to Adelade ah you can complete GOR in a day wat... like 2 hours a day
    really ;o.. my mel friend said very far...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast