Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some prize collection at Delphi Orchard: Anyone experienced this before?

Default Re: Some prize collection at Delphi Orchard: Anyone experienced this before?

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    I encountered this before but I rejected them outright. Simple logic, nothing is free in this world.
    There is till this moment & thousands of years ago. Is called air. Imagine one day we all need to buy air & breath.That will be so.....sad.

Default Re: Some prize collection at Delphi Orchard: Anyone experienced this before?

I have a friend who is in the sale line and she deal with these differently. While she was walking along Orchard one night with her hubby, someone come up and ask her to participate in some lucky draw and she managed to draw a holiday prize for 2 to any south-east asia location. Same things, they will have to go to the office to attend a 100mins talk. She and her hubby being free (both are in the sale line) decide to play along.

When they reached the office, the first thing they did is to confirm the time they can leave since the term state must attend 100 mins and they want to see the prize ready on the table. During the 100mins, they sit down and listen to the talk at the same time post them many questions which the person and his manager (who join in when the guy start to have porblem) cannot or does not have answer. Once the 100mins is up, she stop them, told them time up, pick up the prize and leave. The company LL and my friend earn the prize.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Think govt should have a kind of special law to enforce on this kind of irritating calls. Sometime saw unknown number, I sure hangs up but what if it is a important one from someone else and he/she cannot call their usual number. Sometime also kenna wake up by this kind of calls as I work in night n need afternoon nap. Anyway, in the first place, they get our number without permission, we should able to sue them liao. If in USA, they sure kenna sue till no tomorrow.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Minimalis
    Got a call from a guy 2 days back. Claimed he was from some advertising company acting on behalf of a travel company. He asked me upon my answering of the call whether I had taken part in some contest at some restaurant recently. I mentioned I might have but can't remember where. So he went on to say that I've been selected to collect a consolation prize which included some travel vouchers + steel watch + free nights stay in some bangkok hotel. I asked him which place had I won this prize at but he didn't give a reply. Suspecting a scam I went on to ask whether If I went I would be forcefully detained for hours to listen to some talk or some hard pressured marketing, and that I am aware that such things are going on and illegal confinement is an offence in Singapore and I wouldn't hesitate to call the police.

He assured that it was no scam, there would be no talk and all I had to do was to go down to Delphi Orchard and view thru a small travel exhibition, collect my gifts and I would be done. I asked how long, and he said, "oh about an hour".. I was quite puzzled.. an hour to view an exhibition? Anyway he got quite insistent and said I should go down the following day at 6.30pm. Repeatedly he said that there is no scam, and the gifts were mine to take for no cost at all. I tentatively agreed to pop by the place provided nothing cropped up on my side at his said timing. He was quite insistent that I didn't cancel on the appt as he had to "order the prize" and it was upon their order that the prize would be delivered to them. This guy then handed me over the phone to his 'manager' and she again repeated what he said abt the prize, asking me whether i was certain wat time to show up etc.

What was strangest abt this issue is that halfway through the conversation he asked me for my name. I thought, how did you get my number when you don't have my name? He said that all these details were kept confidential by the company that hired them to do this promotion. Which, I thought was really strange. I've 'won' a prize but you don't have my details?

On the day itself (which was yesterday), I was really uncomfortable abt this whole thing and decided not to go. The basis of this was the whole circumstance, which seemed very fishy to me. True enough, the 'manager' called abt an hour before the scheduled time. I mentioned to her that I won't be showing up because I don't feel good abt the whole affair and I didn't really care much abt the prize. She started going on abt how the the prize was already ordered, that the guy that called me was actually on half day leave, but stayed back so that he could receive me, that if I didn't show up if would seem to his managers that he wasn't doing his job blah blah blah. I said, No I am not coming down, and that their insistence was making it even more suspicious. She then transferred the line over to this guy (which took like 1 second for her to transfer and for him to pick up, just like he was sitting next to her), and he started asking me why. He mentioned "but you PROMISED" to come down? how can you break your promise like that?"

He started saying things like "if the reason is because you can't make it down on time you can come later around 8 or so".. etc. I said no I don't think so. My style of talking is that I would interject a little bit of mild laughter to lighten the situation a bit. He then went on to say "Bloody hell, still can laugh? *+expletives*" and hung up the phone.

Just wondering... has anyone encountered this before?
    got the same call 2 weeks ago. decided to went down last sat as i was in orchard that time. i told him 5pm but he say he not free on 5, can only 4. so i say ok loh, 4. but i went down at 5+, waited 10mins, then the lady say they guy not free so she gave me the watch (not really that nice), some sentosa dunno what hotel voucher (t&c applies), spa voucher, and hotel voucher for puket (not bkk as promise over the phone). anyway i was out of there within 20 mins

read up today's TNP (the newpaper). some company do sell database of infos (names,IC,phone,address).

From what i heard, those time share compaines, most of them share the same database.

this is a timeshare tactic
    since u mentioned delfi orchard, it should be emperor resorts international
    this forum has more details
    http://www.voy.com/161450/

timeshare is the industry with most complaints received by CASE
    http://www.case.org.sg

the consumer protection (fair trading) act protects consumers
    http://statutes.agc.gov.sg

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    I have a friend who is in the sale line and she deal with these differently. While she was walking along Orchard one night with her hubby, someone come up and ask her to participate in some lucky draw and she managed to draw a holiday prize for 2 to any south-east asia location. Same things, they will have to go to the office to attend a 100mins talk. She and her hubby being free (both are in the sale line) decide to play along.

When they reached the office, the first thing they did is to confirm the time they can leave since the term state must attend 100 mins and they want to see the prize ready on the table. During the 100mins, they sit down and listen to the talk at the same time post them many questions which the person and his manager (who join in when the guy start to have porblem) cannot or does not have answer. Once the 100mins is up, she stop them, told them time up, pick up the prize and leave. The company LL and my friend earn the prize.
    Haha..did your friend try to go for their holiday? I did the same thing as your friend, but when I activate the claim to go for holiday, they tell me fully booked until my voucher expire! So I cannot claim the prize. But given a choice to sit for the 100min talk again to extend the expiry date!

hehehe... i received a call of some sort tellin me i've won a lucky draw at some orchard shoppin mall. i juz replied "i dun think i've been shoppin who quite a while and im not interested. thank you." the gal who called up, took the hint immediately and said "oh ok. thanks, bye!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    There is till this moment & thousands of years ago. Is called air. Imagine one day we all need to buy air & breath.That will be so.....sad.
    Are you certain we are not paying for air we breath. A certain Mr Lee tell us not so long ago even the air we breath are been paid for

You guys should read this ....(extracted from one of the posting in http://www.voy.com/161450/)

HAVE U BEEN CONNED?

As most holiday clubs in Singapore operate in a similar fashion, these are
    some of the tactics we are familiar with.

a. Were you approached by someone with a survey form and a scratch card in a shopping area (usually Orchard Road, but more recently even suburban shopping centres as far away as Eastpoint)? Or were you approached on the phone by someone saying you have won a prize for some lucky draw you took part in, which you don't even remember?

b. Did they tell you you have won a prize: top prize being a 1 week stay at an international resort and other prizes such as a digital camera? Did they appear extremely happy for you and keep telling you how lucky you are?

c. Did they tell you that to claim your prize, you had to attend a 45 min presentation, with no obligations to buy anything?

d. If you were recruited by phone, did they tell you to bring along your credit card, to match the last 4 digits with their lucky draw prize?

e. If the place where you were recruited was far away from their office, did they offer to take you there by taxi on the spot free of charge?

f. When you arrived at their office, did you make you turn off your mobile phones before you entered? Did they actually make sure you did so?

g. Did the salesman try to "get to know you" and ask questions related to your income and spending patterns to access how much money you could afford? Did they also ask questions as to whether you are financially independent?

h. Did he present the points to you on paper, written upside down?

i. Was the sales presentation often interrupted by the sales manager who would pop by every now and then and ask if everything was alright? And did this sales manager appear at moments where the salesman had difficulty persuading you on certain issues?

j. Did they refuse to reveal the cost of membership until the end, when you are totally worn out? And was it revealed by the sales manager who tried to confuse you with many figures? Did the salesman say he is not allowed to reveal figures?

k. When you said you couldn't afford something so expensive, did they try to reduce it to sound attractive to you? (ie. did the $20K membership suddenly become $10K?) Did they also promise other freebies thrown in?
    Cruise voucher etc..

l. Did they tell you that only the largest units were available and when you said you didn't need something so large, the smaller units suddenly became available too?

m. Did they say that this special offer is valid only if you sign today? And it was a once in a lifetime offer?

n. When you said you didn't have the means to pay everything up in full, did they work out a very attractive 0% interest installment for you? Did they ask you how much you can afford to pay per month? Just when you thought
    the figure was too low for them to accept (say $150 per month), did they suddenly say yes to it?

o. Did they make you put down a deposit (usually 10% of the contract)?

p. Did the presentation take longer than the promised 45 min?

q. Even before you have actually made up your mind, did they ask you for your credit card and usher you to another office to sign the agreement?

r. Did they shake your hand and ring the bell to congratulate you?

s. Did they make you pose for a picture showing how happy you are?

t. When you signed the agreement, did they make you do another survey form to find out whether you have been put under stress during the presentation?

u. After returning home, did you feel lousy about the whole event?

If you answered "YES" to most of these questions, you have probably signed up with one of these holiday clubs who are more interested in taking money into their own pockets instead of providing an honest and reliable service to their clients. If they are really legitimate, why do they need to do business in this manner?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12