Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to avoid grainy (noisy) picts when using high ISO?

Default Re: how to avoid grainy (noisy) picts when using high ISO?

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    better than the S2? I though S2 and S3 have got the best noise control in the market so far!!!
    sorry, i misled, better noise control when compared to previous nikon models (i.e. d70s d70 d50, d100)

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    sorry, i misled, better noise control when compared to previous nikon models (i.e. d70s d70 d50, d100)
    Haha no worries, could not get use to S2/3's slow writing and preview anyway, but their noise control and colour is
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

anyone tried using the "Long exp. NR" on their D70? I usually set it to "OFF". Anyone care to comment?
    Haven't used this. What it does is it uses a dark frame subtraction. So after you do an exposure, say, for 5 mins, it will do another exposure with the curtain closed for exactly the same time, then it will subtract the dark frame from the image you shot. It is supposed to reduce the effect of the hotter pixels during long exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    yup takes ages man, and no real improvemnt, so i just leave off, yet another great invention from nikon

nah i love them really
    I think it's only useful for exposures more than 15secs because it can only eliminate fixed noise like hotter pixels. There is nothing it can do to random noise. You might even get a worse result.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    how? kekeke... switch to canon dslr...
    Dowan lah.. it tend to treat details as noise, especially for skin. IMO, the NR a bit overdone.

well fuji S2 have very good noise control, their iso 1000 is like the iso 640 on the D70 but the writing is waaaaaay tooooooooo sloooooooow
    D2X lah..

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    D2X lah..
    Some how, I've been waiting to see when someone will come along and say this

Nar, too ex for my blood. But very tempting if I got the moola to spare for a "want".
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Some how, I've been waiting to see when someone will come along and say this

Nar, too ex for my blood. But very tempting if I got the moola to spare for a "want".
    Yeah.. but the noise control is really impressive.

Yeah.. but the noise control is really impressive.
    isit? I'm not much of a tech and specs guy. I'll go and find out only when I need the gears else all my info is just basic and feedback from friends who have use them.

From what I know, Fuji is still tops when it comes to straight out of cam noise control. It would be great if Nikon have knock them off the top!!!

But than, the D2X is using the CMOS sensor, which, even hardcore Nikon user have been saying it produce softer images compare to the CCD sensors ( the Nikon guys were talking about Canon CMOS sensor before the D2X ). So, were the better noise control achived because the images were softer? I have a friend who's using the 1DsMkII, images produced straight out of cam were a little soft. Heard from him that another friend's company bought the D2X, feed back was that the images were like the 1DsMkII, soft. His( 1DsMkII user ) respond to to him ( new D2X user )?

1DsMkII user: " don't worry, it will be OK a few mths later "
    D2X user: " ??? why??? COMS sensors must 'season' first meh?
    1DsMkII user: " no lar. Few mths later use to seeing soft images so will be OK lor! "

Last part not sure if it is true but cracks me up all the time

well s3 is a compact what.. so maybe different.. yup.. at iso 1600 it looks 2 times better than the pic that the threadstarter showed us.. to what i think anway..
    Last edited by Jacobyeo; 26th March 2006 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobyeo
    well s3 is a compact what.. so maybe different.. yup.. at iso 1600 it looks 2 times better than the pic that the threadstarter showed us.. to what i think anway..
    Errr........ I think we're refering to the Fuji S3 pro

Anyway, got to go now. Good night !

isit? I'm not much of a tech and specs guy. I'll go and find out only when I need the gears else all my info is just basic and feedback from friends who have use them.

From what I know, Fuji is still tops when it comes to straight out of cam noise control. It would be great if Nikon have knock them off the top!!!

But than, the D2X is using the CMOS sensor, which, even hardcore Nikon user have been saying it produce softer images compare to the CCD sensors ( the Nikon guys were talking about Canon CMOS sensor before the D2X ). So, were the better noise control achived because the images were softer? I have a friend who's using the 1DsMkII, images produced straight out of cam were a little soft. Heard from him that another friend's company bought the D2X, feed back was that the images were like the 1DsMkII, soft. His( 1DsMkII user ) respond to to him ( new D2X user )?

1DsMkII user: " don't worry, it will be OK a few mths later "
    D2X user: " ??? why??? COMS sensors must 'season' first meh?
    1DsMkII user: " no lar. Few mths later use to seeing soft images so will be OK lor! "

Last part not sure if it is true but cracks me up all the time
    No lah.. it's the resolution. At that kind of resolution, 100% will look soft. Before D200, >10mp resolution were all on CMOS. Now with D200, which is using CCD, you get the same kind of softness...

No lah.. it's the resolution. At that kind of resolution, 100% will look soft. Before D200, >10mp resolution were all on CMOS. Now with D200, which is using CCD, you get the same kind of softness...
    got to try that out. Did not realise that the D200 have the same "soft" image thingy. Thanks, learning something new everyday.

better than the S2? I though S2 and S3 have got the best noise control in the market so far!!!
    why do you think astrophotographers, who usually shoot at max ISO with exposure from minutes to hour, mostly use Canon DSLR? And even Canon come out with 20Da specially for astrophotography, because of the low noise characteristics

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/astro/pages_e/13_e.html

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/astro..._sample-e.html

20 minute exposure
    Last edited by Wai; 27th March 2006 at 10:09 AM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    why do you think astrophotographers, who usually shoot at max ISO with exposure from minutes to hour, mostly use Canon DSLR? And even Canon come out with 20Da specially for astrophotography, because of the low noise characteristics

20 minute exposure
    Wai next time shooting stars must call me OK? I'll help look out for the police

I'll help look out for the police
    no need lar, it is not illegal what...

the last time when i was shooting with a 12" 3048mm scope at some dark corner in punggol, a police patrol car passby and the two policemen came to look at scope.

Was parking illegally along the road but they also never say anything
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

20 minute exposure
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/astro...e/13_orion.jpg
    20Da is not just because of the noise characteristics, but also it allows focusing with the CCD at 100% as well as the ability to record IR which is useful for deep sky objects.

What scope and mount do you use?

20Da is not just because of the noise characteristics, but also it allows focusing with the CCD at 100% as well as the ability to record IR which is useful for deep sky objects.

What scope and mount do you use?
    he uses a big scope and mount that requires at least 2 strong persons to carry and setup.

back to original topic, CMOS is indeed a good sensor for low noise at high ISO.

Here is a sample of ISO1600 from 350D (uses CMOS sensors)
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=184177

However, nothing beats Fuji's SuperCCD when it comes to low noise at high ISO

Shot with Fuji F11 at ISO1600 no PP only resize.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 27th March 2006 at 10:57 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Was parking illegally along the road but they also never say anything
    yeah, they're more interested in your "cannon" pointing into the sky checking it out to make sure it is not a rocket launcher waiting for a passing plane

Dowan lah.. it tend to treat details as noise, especially for skin. IMO, the NR a bit overdone.
    LOL dunno about the NR. LOL at tested with 100mm macro @ ISO 1600, head + shoulders shot, i could clearly identify and count the individual blackheads + pores on a girl's nose. dun think any NR was done coz I was shooting RAW..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast