Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    That did not happen to me. Some mention that with the power grip it is much better but there is another issue.

    Early batch of the battery during pre-production having issue.

    Any your are right if one use bad lens the image from the D200 is not so forgiving.
    Last edited by longkangman; 25th March 2006 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    D200 is very unforgiving to lower quality lenses and lousy users like me.

    For first 3 weeks after I got D200, I was using a >10yo 70-210 AF-Nikkor. That lens was good enough in the old days even when I shot slides. But when I put it on to the D200, the result was disastrous. Colours were quite wrong and image was too soft and 2-D look. In the end, I bought a 70-200VR. It was a vast improvement.

    One more thing. My friend and I did a not-very-scientific experiment, testing his 18-70 DX and my AF-S 17-35. He is now planning to buy the 17-35.

    So, buying a D200 is the beginning of nightmare. Unless you are absolutely sure that (1) you need most of the D200 features and (2) you are prepared to invest on good lenses, or (3) brain-damaged like me, otherwise don't go there. It would be better off with a D70s or 350D.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by photoboy
    This tight budget thing... is really a problem.

    I was also THINKING to get a D200 which is not cheap and then afterthat must buy a memory card. At least Lexar Pro or Ultra2 or Extreme3 ( not cheap these cards ). Somemore must be 2G. Wa lau! more expensive than I thought. Then they say since can't afford too many lens, then just 18-200 VR all rounder but that lens not only got to que up but cost $1200 or more. Then need to buy filter(s), polariser lah, cheap filter also no can do. Then they say must buy one camera bag, heavily padded type like Lowee or Crumpy.. all cost above $100, so ex. Then must buy dry cabinet to store the camera, nothing less than electric type.

    Then got also to buy tripod, cheaper flimsy one also cannot. Then must get ballhead. Must be strong must be ... aiya not cheap man. Then they say must have powerful computer.. then must have large harddisk.. then must have Photoshop... better change my CRT to LCD .... then, then no money how.

    Thinking now better get a F11 or Olympus 700/800 series then no so many problems.

    Just my own scary thoughts. Well hope you get your D200.

    Regards,

    You dont have to do anything. Why buy the tripod and ball head if u dunno if ur gonna use it.

    The first thing i did was buy a d70s (which is alot lower in price then the d200) with the kit lens and then i brought a 512mb card. That was it. Then i just used rucksacks and stuff i already had, no need to buy expensive bag or tripod or ballhead. Then after a few months i got a tele lens, a cheap 70-300 which does what it needs to do. Then a few more months i brought a tripod, then a few more months i needed the bag

    What iam trying to say is u dont have to buy all the fantastically brillant gear right away unless u have the money.

    If your tight on it, go for the d70s kit for $1680 ish and then buy a 70-300 ($300)ish and build on it from there.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Okie... thanks for your help.
    I got the D200 with the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70 f.3.5~4.5GIF ED

    Cheers

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite
    Okie... thanks for your help.
    I got the D200 with the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70 f.3.5~4.5GIF ED

    Cheers
    Congrats

    Enjoy this fantastic body and lens

    Now go fiddle and take pics

  6. #26
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite
    Okie... thanks for your help.
    I got the D200 with the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70 f.3.5~4.5GIF ED

    Cheers

    Great.

    Now enjoy shooting. And tell us more about your experiences. It beats technical reviews sometimes.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Well anyway i don't really know why i bought it.. I think its an impulsive buy... But i like photography... Love darkroom for B&W prints, even processed some rolls at home... wasted tons in the darkroom for color prints....

    This buy was more a of a 'shopping therapy'... Have some personal problems.. Wehll so just to make myself happier.... I don't think i'll shoot lots but nevertheless i know when i have and feel like to, i have a cam to do it...

    Anyway, when i first held the body, it felt quite big and was a little suprise.. Some how it didn't felt like when i held the D1X a few weeks back, but i think my mind was not recalling properly..

    Then when i held the 350d & 5d, they suddenly fell a bit 'lighter' though if not wrong the 5d is heavier than the d200, but this is by no means light too.. The weight i feel helps it to be more 'stable' as i tried to shoot at 1/5 shuttle speed and though blur, wasn't as bad as point and shoots or my canon pro 1...

    BTW anyone has any idea why my Seagate microdrive 5Gb aint working with the d200? I keep getting the CHA error with it, format it a few times and still doesn't work. Works fine with the canon pro 1... As i didn't get a memory card during my purchase, now i have only 1 64Mb one which only lets me take 3 NEF or 10jpg Fine shots, and that sucks as i wanted to try to max out the buffer...

    Anyways, thanks again to you guys

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite

    BTW anyone has any idea why my Seagate microdrive 5Gb aint working with the d200? I keep getting the CHA error with it, format it a few times and still doesn't work. Works fine with the canon pro 1... As i didn't get a memory card during my purchase, now i have only 1 64Mb one which only lets me take 3 NEF or 10jpg Fine shots, and that sucks as i wanted to try to max out the buffer...

    Anyways, thanks again to you guys
    Seagate is not in the supported list pls check the manual.

    You could try format with the 2 buttom mode+trash bin and hold it there. The FOR sign will appear.

    I try once and give up of the microdrive too slow for the cam. Try get transcend 2gb around 140~150 could have drop quite alot by now.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite
    Well anyway i don't really know why i bought it.. I think its an impulsive buy... But i like photography... Love darkroom for B&W prints, even processed some rolls at home... wasted tons in the darkroom for color prints....
    Colour printing is not easy.. Temperature control has to be within +/-1degC for your colour to be consistent. If you don't have a proper temperature control, most of the time you will find that your actual print appears different from your test prints.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Colour printing is not easy.. Temperature control has to be within +/-1degC for your colour to be consistent. If you don't have a proper temperature control, most of the time you will find that your actual print appears different from your test prints.
    Yeah... i gave that up... I wasn;t even taught how to do it... Then in school, i got my seniors to teach me... The paper was hell expensive too... haha... i wasted a whole box of 100 8x10 sheets on test print, each sheet into 6 strips for test... And still never had 1 with proper colors...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by intosite
    Yeah... i gave that up... I wasn;t even taught how to do it... Then in school, i got my seniors to teach me... The paper was hell expensive too... haha... i wasted a whole box of 100 8x10 sheets on test print, each sheet into 6 strips for test... And still never had 1 with proper colors...
    Yeah.. it's like that.. Did you use the Kodak colour viewing kit? It might have helped. Oops.. OT liao..
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th March 2006 at 09:36 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    Seagate is not in the supported list pls check the manual.

    You could try format with the 2 buttom mode+trash bin and hold it there. The FOR sign will appear.

    I try once and give up of the microdrive too slow for the cam. Try get transcend 2gb around 140~150 could have drop quite alot by now.
    yeah saw the list but they didn;t list down any brand specific microdrives... And when i got it, i recalled wrongly that i had a 4Gb card...


    Tried the two button format method.. it also didn't work... Guess i gotta shop for a new CF card...

    Cheers
    Last edited by intosite; 26th March 2006 at 10:34 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,759

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Try the Transcend... not that bad at all... so far, so good
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #34

    Default Re: Need some help.... Plannning to get a nikon d200

    Quote Originally Posted by photoboy
    This tight budget thing... is really a problem.

    I was also THINKING to get a D200 which is not cheap and then afterthat must buy a memory card. At least Lexar Pro or Ultra2 or Extreme3 ( not cheap these cards ). Somemore must be 2G. Wa lau! more expensive than I thought. Then they say since can't afford too many lens, then just 18-200 VR all rounder but that lens not only got to que up but cost $1200 or more. Then need to buy filter(s), polariser lah, cheap filter also no can do. Then they say must buy one camera bag, heavily padded type like Lowee or Crumpy.. all cost above $100, so ex. Then must buy dry cabinet to store the camera, nothing less than electric type.

    Then got also to buy tripod, cheaper flimsy one also cannot. Then must get ballhead. Must be strong must be ... aiya not cheap man. Then they say must have powerful computer.. then must have large harddisk.. then must have Photoshop... better change my CRT to LCD .... then, then no money how.

    Thinking now better get a F11 or Olympus 700/800 series then no so many problems.

    Just my own scary thoughts. Well hope you get your D200.

    Regards,
    hahaha
    I totally agreed with you That a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •