Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It is an offence to leave engine idling

Default Re: It is an Offence to leave Engine Idling

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Actually, both diesel and petrol exhaust are equally bad. Diesel exhaust has less volatile unburnt chemicals compared to petrol, but diesel fuel release more particulate matters. The black smoke occurs because the particles have clumped together. Both irritate human organs in the same way, so doesn't really make a difference.

Given that the mileage for diesel engine these days are so high, maybe we should consider switching to diesel cars.
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

ah? i know its bad for the air but didnt know it's illegal?! wonder if this article is linked to the couple who died in the car?
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Hmmm .... i'm guessing they're referring to the newer more cleaner diesel. Singapore still uses the older generation of diesel - hence it still stinks and its still dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Actually, both diesel and petrol exhaust are equally bad. Diesel exhaust has less volatile unburnt chemicals compared to petrol, but diesel fuel release more particulate matters. The black smoke occurs because the particles have clumped together. Both irritate human organs in the same way, so doesn't really make a difference.

Given that the mileage for diesel engine these days are so high, maybe we should consider switching to diesel cars.
    PMs are easier to filter than the gases petrol exhaust emit.

I would say you hardly find smokey diesel vehicles on the road these days. Probably only 1 or 2 occurances in a couple of months and usually they are lorries/buses from malaysia.

Diesel are far more efficient than petrol. I support the diesel car movement. Furthermore, diesel engines can be modified to use biodiesel (the filtered cooking oil ). Singapore being a food haven will never run out of cooking oil

Anyway back to the original topic of leaving engine running, although I'm all against leaving engines running while stationary, there are valid reasons to do so sometimes. Example: tour coaches; Singapore's tour coaches can reach the next tourist destination in just about a 20-30 mins interval. Ever since the law was enforced few years back, the coaches turn off their engines while waiting. The interior became hot under the sun. Tourist come back feeling hot and tired but is greeted with an even hotter coach!

Tourist board, off to the next destination! Bus only starts to cool down and they reach their next destination, and the cycle starts again.

Now, you wun like that kind of treatment when you go overseas do you?
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 24th March 2006 at 10:00 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Hmmm .... i'm guessing they're referring to the newer more cleaner diesel. Singapore still uses the older generation of diesel - hence it still stinks and its still dirty.
    it is now mandatory for local fuel stations to sell ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD), shell has been doing it way before the law mandated it and most newer diesel vans you find on the road are EURO4 compliant. so what older generation of diesel are you refrerring to?

vince123123
    Guests

Well, if you want to on the engine, make sure that you're moving at least 0.00001km/h - that means you're not stationary and would not fall afoul of the law

Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03
    with regards to Today pg 33...

Offence to leave Engine Idling

quoted : " Drivers should turn off their engines when vehicles are stationary. Motorists should not leave their engines idling unnecessarily as such an inconsiderate act produces pollution and wastes fuel.. "

"It is an offence under the Environmental Pollution Control. NEA will take enforcement action against drivers who insist on flouting the legislation."

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Diesel are far more efficient than petrol. I support the diesel car movement. Furthermore, diesel engines can be modified to use biodiesel (the filtered cooking oil ). Singapore being a food haven will never run out of cooking oil
    Diesel is not far more efficient when you are in the city, it is efficient when you are driving at 5th gear for long periods of time.

Compressor engine supply a steady flow of fuel to keep the combustion even when you're stopping at the lights, where petrol's (combustion engine) don't.

Default Re: It is an offence to leave engine idling

Just walk pass one just now during lunch time saw a guy sleeping in the car and the engine on.

And another just after i step out of my MRT stop where a taxi driver was dozing off in his taxi............

So how to stop them?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: It is an offence to leave engine idling

Call police lor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Just walk pass one just now during lunch time saw a guy sleeping in the car and the engine on.

And another just after i step out of my MRT stop where a taxi driver was dozing off in his taxi............

So how to stop them?

Quote Originally Posted by jhansolo
    Diesel is not far more efficient when you are in the city, it is efficient when you are driving at 5th gear for long periods of time.

Compressor engine supply a steady flow of fuel to keep the combustion even when you're stopping at the lights, where petrol's (combustion engine) don't.
    whatever that means..

I have driven a van and car before.

Van (1.9L Berlingo) on diesel full tank ~55L clocks around 750KM
    Car (1.6L Corolla) on full tank ~50L clocks around 400KM

I used to drive the car for a period of time before changing into a van.
    Driving conditions are the same as I always ply the same routes.

Route will always involve traffic congested CTE. With signboard constantly displaying "Massive jam up to XXX" speeds are never above 40 and always in stop/go/stop/go conditions. You should know how bad CTE is.

Further more, diesel costs waaaay less than petrol (though the margin is narrowing lately)..
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 24th March 2006 at 11:01 PM.

whatever that means..

I used to drive the car for a period of time before changing into a van.
    Driving conditions are the same as I always ply the same routes.

Route will always involve traffic congested CTE. With signboard constantly displaying "Massive jam up to XXX" speeds are never above 40 and always in stop/go/stop/go conditions. You should know how bad CTE is.

Further more, diesel costs waaaay less than petrol (though the margin is narrowing lately)..
    wow..

is this normal ?? seems quite long distance..

mine abt 55L only can clock 500+km max...

din dare to try to the MAX...

Do you mean Turbo Diesel? I only know turbo diesel really makes a lot of torque, & it's at the engine's lower rpm, they can achieve maximum torque figure. Very impressive. The only patrol car tat is like tat i come across is the previous 150bhp VW Golf GTi, the maximum torque figure is at only 1900rpm, while most car make their maximum torque figure at 3000rpm - 5500rpm. Of course there are super expensive cars like the Bentley Continental R Coupe & Rolls Royce Phantom which makes 80% of their maximum torque at very low rpm, like at only 1200rpm, to aid them in moving off their 2485kg body swiftly from standstill...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

no turbo on my berlingo but with voltage stabliser. previously without the VS i only manage like 680 - 700 before the 'EMPTY' lamp lights up.

500+ I think your van got something wrong.. most can clock up at 650 easily even on SPC/Caltex diesel.

no turbo on my berlingo but with voltage stabliser. previously without the VS i only manage like 680 - 700 before the 'EMPTY' lamp lights up.

500+ I think your van got something wrong.. most can clock up at 650 easily even on SPC/Caltex diesel.
    mine lorry..

i stuck in jam or slow traffic 2 hours a day and seldom travel on expressway

and yet my van can clock over 1000km for 60L

I haven't finish 3/4 tank (40+L) and already covered 800+km

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wai

wat van r u driving?

Bluff..
    U pushing it rite?

Ehhh.. that means

Van = 13km/L
    Car = 8km/L

I think that Corolla needs checking. Most Corollas can do 10 - 15km/L easily. Unless it's the way you drive, right leg hard-footed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai

Eh... 16km/L... sounds reasonable for a small commerical diesel van...

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Bluff..
    U pushing it rite?

should have took a shot before i reset the counter yesterday
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast