Thread: Problem with TC for G5

Default Problem with TC for G5

I jus bought a vitacon 2X TC for me canon G5.
    1.Paid $85 for it, wonder was i overcharged (Sry dunno prices for equipments)
    2.After fixing it on, I tried full zoom, at my G5's 4X, which means i should get 8X with the TC right? however comparing to without the tc, but with digital zoom, the 1st pic actually less zoom than the 2nd, which is only using 6.5X, not 8.1X. Is this normal? or was i given a 1.4X tc instead?
    3.When i zoom max and shoot with the tc, seems like off centre shots are blur,the overall pic also blurer by abit is this normal?

i would like to know the above probs r common for a tc or is it jus this tc i bought..

Btw another qns i have is that even when i shoot at max quality 5MP, the image when blown up to 100% in PS, its blur and abit pixelized and poor quality, basically not good to crop and view at 100%, must sharpen and resize. On the other hand, images fr a D70 look still ok at 100%. Is this to be expected from a non dslr proconsumer cam?

thanks in advance
    RentCamera@SG 82237153
    http://www.rentcamera.com.sg

Default Re: Problem with TC for G5

Quote Originally Posted by shocky
    3.When i zoom max and shoot with the tc, seems like off centre shots are blur,the overall pic also blurer by abit is this normal?

i would like to know the above probs r common for a tc or is it jus this tc i bought..

Btw another qns i have is that even when i shoot at max quality 5MP, the image when blown up to 100% in PS, its blur and abit pixelized and poor quality, basically not good to crop and view at 100%, must sharpen and resize. On the other hand, images fr a D70 look still ok at 100%. Is this to be expected from a non dslr proconsumer cam?

thanks in advance
    1) when u use a TC, you are adding additional glass in front of the lens. The quality will obviously fall off. Let me give you an analagy, will you be able to see through one window plane more clearly, or 10 planes stacked? Obviously when you have less elements, the quality will be better.

2) $85 is quite cheap for a TC, the canon 1.4x and 2x teleconverters cost 5-6x more. Then again, if you pay in peanuts, you get monkeys.

3) The problems are common for any TC mounted on a digicam. Most Digicams, the G5 included were not made for use with TCs. If you feel you are limited by the camera, then invest in an SLR.

4) Regarding the 100% image quality, its not about DSLRs and Prosumer cameras, but the pix. Pitch and the lens. There is a correlation though, most prosumer cams have puny pix.pitches and poor lenses. The reverse is true for SLRs.

99% of all prosumers are diffraction limited. A sensor with a 2.8 m sensor will be diffraction limited at f/4.5 (increasing f number lowers resolution). Anyway I dont think a prosumer lens will be able to provide the resolution necessary to saturate the sensor. Hence, the resolution on a prosumer camera is lens-limited, not sensor limited. Thus, 5MP does not really mean anything.

1. I knew that the TC definitely lower quality of image but its jus abit more than i had expected i think. But then again i dont really hav a choice, 4X optical zoom is really not enough to shoot sometimes, especially if i want to capture facial expressions. But thanks, now i know wat to expect.

2. I know original canon definitely better,but i intend to shoot longer with the G5 for my current holiday period, make the best of it, and see if i can improve my shooting skills a little with it, before deciding on a eventual upgrade to a DSLR, would prefer not to send too much on it. Hence im trying to push its limits like ISO, zoom etc. And im jus wondering if the price is ok since its a non branded 3rd party lens.

Whats diffraction limited?
    The problem im facing could it be because i often shoot at f2.0 - f3.0(4X)

i posted some samples, perhaps u might wanna take a look at
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=185638

thank u very much for your advice
    RentCamera@SG 82237153
    http://www.rentcamera.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by shocky
    Whats diffraction limited?
    The problem im facing could it be because i often shoot at f2.0 - f3.0(4X)
    Well a simple answer would be that if you shoot at f5.6-f22(or whatever your camera can get to f32?) your resolution will decrease, because there would be less than wavelength of light between wavefronts at the focal point and thus would meet the
    Rayleigh criterion. For more details, you can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_criterion