Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: copyright violation

Default Re: copyright violation

i tried to deceive fellow clubsnapers probably because i was unable to produce the kind of quality seen so often on airliners.net.

i should have anticipated such endings.

i got the [account not activated] error yesterday because i changed my email add to prevent an influx of hate mail. this caused the account to be suspended until activation through the activation email.

Glad to know you come clean now...Im sure fellow CS'ers will listen. What has happened is irreversible.

You know what? My pix to airliners.net were rejected not once, but thrice! Just need to go on shooting...the day will come you see your pix on airliners.net!
    Last edited by Fulcrum; 22nd March 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Well, just know that we have to learn to be more responsible for what we say on the net. It is not as "free" as we think. Just think of the jailed racist bloggers and file swappers. The government agencies are starting to clamp down on this.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Personally, I don't even blame your actions at all. I understand some people like to talk big, etc etc. I also like to talk big and make unreasonable claims sometimes (just for the fun of it). I'm not saying what you did is right (or wrong) though.

Even though theoretically what you did can be classified as copyright infringement, there is no lasting, permanent or material damage. You did not make any money by selling the photos, for example.

I also think people who bring up the school, or even other unassociated linkages are no different from say, ppl who dig up Tammy's school, friends, photos etc etc. i.e. Human nature at work.

The only advice I have for you: the web is a place for anonymity. Keep it so! Don't reveal your name, photo, school unecessarily next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Breathe
    The only advice I have for you: the web is a place for anonymity. Keep it so! Don't reveal your name, photo, school unecessarily next time!
    very true

Copyright Violation / infringement is serious. But I really do hope your school would not take serious action besides a formal apology in one form or another because the one thing our society really don't need is to kick another student out of school.

OT abit, that is if the person don't intend to make any real life friends through the net, or he/she has something to hide , or for other reasons.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Alamak! No wonder I have no net friends.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf
    OT abit, that is if the person don't intend to make any real life friends through the net, or he/she has something to hide , or for other reasons.

roti_prata: I have been following the this topic for the past few days since it started. Finally, I am seeing an end to the whole thing . Best result for me, is your courage to come clean in the end. I know it must've been hard for you during the 'witch hunt'.

At the end of it, I don't really think the people here in CS want to see you condemned for life. They just needed to know that you admit your mistakes, apologize & be a man about it -- which you did in this thread.

Though I do not agree with your actions that started all this, I do admire your courage at the end of this.

vince123123
    Guests

Wonder who went to tell his school heh

OT:
    I think, clearly the opinion on copyright infringement is the benchmark that sets the amateurs and the pros apart.

Amateurs, like me, may find it difficult to understand. eg. people can use my photos, I may not really mind that much (as long as its not my nude). Or I can sing (i sing like a frog) and record on MP3 and people can share them, I also don't mind.

Conclusion: People who view copyright infringment seriously must be pros!

Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    Copyright Violation / infringement is serious. But I really do hope your school would not take serious action besides a formal apology in one form or another because the one thing our society really don't need is to kick another student out of school.

OT:
    I think, clearly the opinion on copyright infringement is the benchmark that sets the amateurs and the pros apart.

Amateurs, like me, may find it difficult to understand. eg. people can use my photos, I may not really mind that much (as long as its not my nude). Or I can sing (i sing like a frog) and record on MP3 and people can share them, I also don't mind.

It is a matter of respect & a matter of principle -- not whether you are pro or amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    i was unable to post with this account for some reason and thus have created the clone account to post the apology.

i see that many people are still angry with my actions, is there some way i can make up for my mistakes?

i realise that trying to cover up will only make matters worse. i admit that in trying to satisfy my ego, i tried to make it appear those shots were by me. i learnt the consequences of dishonesty the hard way through this. because the school name was mentioned my principal has asked for my explaination. i am prepared to undertake any punishment the school decides to impose.
    Admirably u r taking the rite approach now and offering an apology for your lesser evil.
    So just to share my fav. pic with you and also welcome you to the real world

I hope you learn a lesson from all this.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    i tried to deceive fellow clubsnapers probably because i was unable to produce the kind of quality seen so often on airliners.net.

i should have anticipated such endings.

i got the [account not activated] error yesterday because i changed my email add to prevent an influx of hate mail. this caused the account to be suspended until activation through the activation email.
    You don't need to reproduce those kind of quality. Those people who shoot commercially are paid big bucks and they have all their time and equipment to take the best picture. Just shoot within your means and you will find yourself improve. Nothing to be ashamed of.. Some people like to criticize, take them with a pinch of salt and learn from that.

I don't think the picture below is good picture but it's my own. Happened to see it fly past when I was testing a D200 and the 18-200VR lens. But I'm satisfied because I just shot it and I know that's how much the equipment I have at that moment can give me. Obviously the lens wasn't long enough and this is a 100% crop from a 10mp image. After adjusting the levels, some sharpening was applied. Still nowhere near anything those pros can produce. I'm not a pro, because I pump money into photography and I don't get a cent out of it. That's why people will expect a lot more from pros because they are paid to produce the pictures. That's the difference between pros and amateurs, amateurs pump money into it as a hobby, pros get money out of it. It's not about equipment they have although it certainly helps.

D200 1/350", 18-200VR @ 200mm f/9, 100% crop, levels adjusted and sharpened in GIMP.

Also, to add to nyxx88's comments, you can browse through my gallery and you will not see any recognisable faces in my shots. I will only post shots of people if they allow me to do so. Although most people won't, they can also sue if you post their pictures up in a public forum like this unless they have signed a photo release or it's shot from a public performance. About copyright, I think we should all respect that because we don't know if one day we may go pro. People need to make a living, including singers, songwriters, artists, programmers etc. Respect their copyright and support them if you need by buying their works not stealing them. Of course, there are also programmers who write software for free.. Then you get to use them for free, but you cannot call it yours.

OT a little, previously software can only be copyrighted but the EU wants to legislate patents for software.. which means that you no longer need to copy the software code to infringe the copyright, but as long as something is written to perform the same function as the patented software, it will infringe the patent. Eg, Photoshop has the Healing Brush, and if that's patented, another software company or even a freeware cannot include such a tool in their software. That is so much for intellectual property rights.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 22nd March 2006 at 03:16 PM.

OT:

I am an amateur. If you try to leech my photo, you will find out how an amateur might react to copyright infrindgement.

If it's my creation, it's mine, not yours or anyone else!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    I am an amateur. If you try to leech my photo, you will find out how an amateur might react to copyright infrindgement.

If it's my creation, it's mine, not yours or anyone else!
    Rule for settling such disputes, keep your original negatives, they are proof that the image belongs to you. In the case of digital, never put up an original full size image up. If you need to put up a full size image, degrade the quality (eg, by using higher compression), remove the EXIF information and put in a watermark.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Rule for settling such disputes, keep your original negatives, they are proof that the image belongs to you. In the case of digital, never put up an original full size image up. If you need to put up a full size image, degrade the quality (eg, by using higher compression), remove the EXIF information and put in a watermark.
    Of ccourse, but if someone wants to leach, they will do it. as someone had said, certain Singapore sites do it and make a very good living doing it.

Watermark, unless it's one of those plastered all over the picture, and/or an electronic one, it's absolutely no use. EXIF info, can be created.

What I have a problem with is the misuse and abuse of my creation.

What I have even more problems with is Breath's casual attitude to copyrights.

It's a risk to post, but that is a risk we have to take. However, we, or I, don't have to be nice if someone steals my stuff!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

OT:

Wait until the things you created being used by others. No only photographs.

There was one Writer / Editor who hold the same views as you when it comes to photographs, saying things like photographs should be shared, and good things should not be charges, he would be honoured if there are people who will be using his photographs and he will be willing to give it for free, etc etc, however, when I asked him how about he start writing without getting paid and all other people uses his writing for their own purposes and not been charged would he accept? Until now, he had not replied. When it comes to using other people photographs, it does not hurt his bottomline, when it comes to writing, it does, that is when it hurts.

Talk is simple, you will only feel it when it hurts you. There is no difference between Amateurs and Professional when it comes to copyright, it will affect you one way or another. If you do not view copyright seriously, tell me what you work as and I will tell you how it will hurt you if you do not view copyright seriously.
    Last edited by blurblock; 22nd March 2006 at 04:03 PM.

roti_prata: cheers! Hope the owners of the photographs will not be too harsh on you.

Breathe: easy, you just need to work hard for a school project (if you're studying) or work (if you're working) and watch someone else take the credit. See how you feel - no lasting, permanent or material damage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast