Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: led ring light

Default Re: led ring light

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    Thanks lsisaxon, catchlights & Artosoft for providing the links. I'm passing by SLS later so may drop by SLT to hunt around for the RS outlet.

Thanks guys.
    You are most welcome. Kindly inform us on Luxeon LED .

Regards,
    Arto.

didnt manage to find the Luxeon LED at SLS cause when I reached there, most shops were closed. My in the field testing of the LED ring light is so bad that none of the photos are gooe enuf to post. This project will be "Killed". Wasted about $20++

didnt manage to find the Luxeon LED at SLS cause when I reached there, most shops were closed. My in the field testing of the LED ring light is so bad that none of the photos are gooe enuf to post. This project will be "Killed". Wasted about $20++
    My guess is that even with those LEDs the power is still not going to be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    My guess is that even with those LEDs the power is still not going to be sufficient.
    For below 1 meter I think it will be sufficient with Luxeon LED.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft

Regards,
    Arto.
    Short distance, yeah.. maybe.. I think the Luxeons comes in 1W and 3W flavours if I don't remember wrongly..

vince123123
    Guests

If anyone knows a good place to get these, do let me know - I'm trying to build a similar thing and would need as bright LEDs as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    If anyone knows a good place to get these, do let me know - I'm trying to build a similar thing and would need as bright LEDs as possible.
    fm the link lsisaxon posted...they do sell luxeon led...

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    http://sg.farnell.com Order and they will deliver to your doorstep.
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

I think the Luxeon LED will not be bright enough. Brightness is one thing, the angle of the light projection is another. My experiment resulted in spots of lights because LED generally have between 15 to 30 Deg angle of light path only. For nearer distance, the illumination will be a ring only, center portion (where our main subject are) will generally be darker.

I think the Luxeon LED will not be bright enough. Brightness is one thing, the angle of the light projection is another. My experiment resulted in spots of lights because LED generally have between 15 to 30 Deg angle of light path only. For nearer distance, the illumination will be a ring only, center portion (where our main subject are) will generally be darker.
    this can b improve by putting a reflector like a torchlight...if nt by placing the led at an angle will oso do...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

IIRC, Luxeon has a one with 120 deg angle.

The Luxeon Led is about 80 Lumen. A quick search in the wikipedia gives an estimate of about 1500lumens for a typical 100Watt incandescent light bulb. That would give an average indoor lighting situation. Work that out and its about 20 Leds. Each Led cost about US$3.45 so it would cost about US$69 or roughly S$118. Thats a bit too much for a DIY project to me.

vince123123
    Guests

Would using more pieces of cheaper but dimmer LEDs work?

yes it will work...but will need quite alot....n u will need a better design then jus placing it normally..n how are u going to sqeeze all the led into the holder...
    Last edited by dreamerz; 28th March 2006 at 06:33 PM.
    My Site

I already tried 20 pieces of the so called super bright LED and only gives a light like a night lamp. You may need about 80 to 100 pieces to get decent level of light. One point I forgot to mention is that the "white" LED are slightly bluish tinted. so all photos need to be post processed for colour correction. Not I'm think of making 2 side mounted light with the LEDs. (Like Canon MT-24EX)

I saw another guy making this ring flash in another site.

http://panchoskywalker.skyblog.com/
    Last edited by DeSwitch; 28th March 2006 at 07:02 PM.

I already tried 20 pieces of the so called super bright LED and only gives a light like a night lamp. You may need about 80 to 100 pieces to get decent level of light. One point I forgot to mention is that the "white" LED are slightly bluish tinted. so all photos need to be post processed for colour correction. Not I'm think of making 2 side mounted light with the LEDs.

I saw another guy making this ring flash in another site.

http://panchoskywalker.skyblog.com/
    haha...nice idea...mayb u guys can try neon light...
    My Site

Hi DeSwitch,

It is a shame that you are going to "kill" the project. The idea has merrit.

One thing I have found with LED's is that they don't all draw exactly the same current.
    When put in parallel one can rob the other.

What I have found works well is to use a supply a couple of volts higher than their working voltage and give each a load resistor.

This will make the setup more tedious to wire up though.

The load resistor can be the same value for each LED (you only need work out the value for one) then use the same for each.

You will have to disconnect the leg of each LED that goes to one side of the supply (+ or -) and place the resistor in series with that leg to that supply rail.

Though this idea may help a bit, I doubt that it will give you the brightness you are looking for.

Pulsing them (much more involved) will also increase the output, but I think you will still be limited by the type of LED you are using.

There are "white laser" diodes out there (infact I have seen them used as down lights) but the cost would be over the moon.

Sorry I can't help with a viable answer.

But you experiment; and that is an admirable thing

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    haha...nice idea...mayb u guys can try neon light...

A quick walk in Sim Lim Square and you will notice that nowadays there are cooler fans with fluroscent ring lights. Wonder if they have white colour. Just stack a few of them together and you will have a nice ring light.

A quick walk in Sim Lim Square and you will notice that nowadays there are cooler fans with fluroscent ring lights. Wonder if they have white colour. Just stack a few of them together and you will have a nice ring light.
    haha...those are neon light lar...nt fluroscent...
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    haha...those are neon light lar...nt fluroscent...
    isit? see how i lag behind in technology liao.

Haha. Serious, can those work and do they have white colour?

Blog Entries

looking to make this?

http://www.srelectronics.com/Lring.html

i saw it at the IT SHow
    from the same co that displays the tamron lenses
    Last edited by ortega; 28th March 2006 at 07:25 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast