Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When comments/feedbacks were sought after at galleries, how were they given?

Deregistered

Default Re: When comments/feedbacks were sought after at galleries, how were they given?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    ESPN's comments are wise. Why worry? Shoot first, talk later... you missed the moment means you missed it.
    Si beh suan

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Go ahead.. Criticize this photo.

D70s - ISO800 1/1600", 18-200VR @ 200mm/5.6.
    I would silohuette the bird the wings are nicely lit by the backlit sun

Default Re: When comments/feedbacks were sought after at galleries, how were they given?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Point is simple. The photographer knows the best strengths and weaknesses of the image themselves. Who is better to critique their own works than themselves?

This is based on one assumption, that the "photographer knows........".

The fact is, that assumption is not necessarily valid. I do no think my opinion is far fetched. Nor am I interested in "gunning" down photographers.

We all have our blind spots, newbies and pros alike.

Unless one takes pictures ABSOLUTELY ONLY for oneself, the opinions of others do merit consideration.

Si beh suan

I would silohuette the bird the wings are nicely lit by the backlit sun
    Didn't suan okie.. I really think it is true and I would have given the same advice also.

The original picture was already silhoutted because of the underexposure. In the edited picture, I had to stretch the levels to bring the sky brighter and impose a 1.2 gamma to bring up the shadow details. You'll see what I mean.. even the composition was off.. No time for me to react at all.

Shoot first.. talk later.. can get the picture.. heng.. cannot get the picture, at least tried liao.. too bad.. next time got chance try again...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Well, you know, I know, I meant that for others who don't know what they're shooting, you're right in paraphrasing.

Problem is how many can understand the concept or appreciate what others see?

Can you understand student's concept? (Got a feeling I'm going to get murdered by student) Can you understand even by analysing and read comments about the shots?

? Heh?

I do not murder people

I only clobber and pulverise people!

Actually I sometimes also do not understand my own concept!

+1

I can tell you whether a photo looks nice.

I may be able to say why it's nice or not nice some of the time, but not all the time.

I can tell you that the Sistine Chapel ceiling looks nice, but I can't set up a criteria to tell you how it looks nice, because:

- any future works that are based on the evaluation framework will be limited by the framework. I personally don't feel that aesthetics can be contained by evaluation criteria or frameworks. They help to a certain extent, but not all the time.

- there's more to the beauty that lies beyond any of the logical framework. If the key factor of the "nicenesss" happens to fall beyond the framework, the comment would be pretty much useless anyway.

- there's a limitation to my logical knowledge. There's greatness in aesthetics that falls beyond cognitive reasoning.

Most importantly, it is to common understanding that photos posted under the critique section would be seeking feedback. But galleries are for sharing. Sometimes comments are sought, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    i think this topic has been talked about a lot of times liao... just do a search and you will see....

i think... for me now it's very simple.

if i like the photograph that i took, i like it, that's good enough.

having one more person like it will mean it's a bonus, even if nobody else does.

and any other extra persons added to the list will just be a bonus.

so it's just, i like can liao + bonus + bonus etc.

your choice to find your own balance ba....

The fact is, that assumption is not necessarily valid. I do no think my opinion is far fetched. Nor am I interested in "gunning" down photographers.

Unless one takes pictures ABSOLUTELY ONLY for oneself, the opinions of others do merit consideration.
    Actually, sometimes, depending on whether the person can take criticism or not, I will or will not remark something. Because in the process of doing so (criticizing a picture), we get to learn too... Don't just shoot down a picture because of the bad points.. in fact, even in very newbie pictures, there a a lot of things seasoned photographers can learn from. It is a whole different (innocent) point of view which we have forgetten because we become too engrossed in getting a picture 'right'. Sometimes we are just too ready to shoot down the bad points but too stingy on praising the good points.. Just some of my thoughts.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 23rd March 2006 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakThru
    Hi all,

Firstly, I really sincerely don't mean to offend anyone if somehow or another any feels so. My apologies if this is the case.
    Your question is hardly likely to offend anyone, infact is has generated interesting views.

I hope my replies don't offend you.

When I post a photo here I just hope to have something pointed out to me at some point.
    If I don't get feed back I think either of these things :

What I was trying to do was not seen as something to work on (my fault there)
    What I was trying to do was so bad that they can't reply as they are laughing too much.
    It was so bl00dy fantastic that they don't know what to say

I value the times when something is pointed out to me because I learn from it.

As far as someone saying, "that is nice", I am happy that that is how they feal about it.

I don't expect them to explain "nice" as it is a feeling.

Just me
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

... Sorry to interrupt

It is only when one have learnt from experimentation, mistakes, and hard-earned experiences, that One would knew what works and what's not, what's One like or fancy, what's is acceptable or appreciated, etc..

Although Photography for passion is an outlet for self expression and fulfillment, but whe one showcase it to the world, it's unavoidable that Viewers will draws different response, feedback and conclusion.

Photography for Commercial reasons or Competitions, on the otherhand must meet minumum standard and expectation.

The question here is Who is the Judge or Paymaster ? ...

www.nickgoh.com.sg

Agree. I would say that it is extremely unlikely for someone to take pictures for themselves only. Or am I wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo

I hope my replies don't offend you.
    Not at all. Glad that you posted your view points. All are welcome to say whatever they think and like. If I get offended over such a discussion, what is there for me to talk about feedbacks/comments?

In fact, some of you guys did enlighten me about this subject. And I would like to say that I appreciate them. Thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12