Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What to do now?

  1. #1

    Smile What to do now?

    A newbie here, not much experience, and I dunno what to do. I started taking intrest in photography about 6 mths ago, and I started by reading some books. I understand only the little bit of the basics of apeture, shutter speed and exposure. I am not sure how far books will bring me, so any help on what I should do now?

    These are the few routes I thought of

    1.)Get an SLR and buy more books and read up, then I would do more hands on photography and try to learn the basics myself.

    2.)Sign up for a basic photography course which lends me a SLR while learning, after the course I would then decide if I would get a better cam.
    3.)Buy and SLR and then go for course, but would go for longer courses, and try to learn more. Then later will upgrade again.

    4.)Stick to my current situation, and read more books before thinking of anything else.

    What do you think I should do? Or should there be other ways of learning? Could you share some tips on how you started? Anyway, a big thank you to those who help. (forgot to say, now I using olympus C-450)

  2. #2

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Interesting, good that your interest for photography was stirred by books, because I went through the same route.

    However, you'll need hands-on practice to further your photography. Books and words can only mean so much without application, so I'll strike off option #4. As for the rest of the options, if your budget allows, you can always start off with a basic D/SLR and take it from there. Even if you decide to give up photography afterwards, you can always sell it off.

    Does your Olympus C-450 gives you manual (aperture/shutter speed/fully manual) control?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: What to do now?

    somehow i think it might be better if u get a dslr...it can let u take all sorts of funny combinations of the shutter speed, apeture etc. and u learn A LOT from this try and error. Books can only bring u to a certain level, and dslr lets u explore on ur own after that in a rather less costly manner.but slr u might be more cost conscious as u need to buy film to learn.. so....

    well of course there is the cost issue..but do give the dslr a thought as now the prices are getting cheaper. regards.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Take option 2.

    Learn first then decide on what you want to get later be it prosumer cam, film SLR or DSLR.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Option 2 is a logical choice. Allows you to make a more informed decision.

    Option 1 will work if you have the time and patience. And I mean a lot of time... haha like if you're in one of those ns units that ROC 90% of the time.

    Option 3 is counter intuitive if you're going for a general photography course.

    Option 4 depends a lot on how much you know. Yes there's a limit to how much you can learn from books... but how much do you actually know? Are you well-informed to make a decision?

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: What to do now?

    You still need to have hands-on practise to get the feel and to apply the knowledge you have learnt. As they always say, keep shooting and you'll learn more.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7

    Default Re: What to do now?

    u already have a camera so u just need to take more pictures n u will get better.
    http://www.singaporephoto.blogspot.com

  8. #8

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanhjb
    A newbie here, not much experience, and I dunno what to do. I started taking intrest in photography about 6 mths ago, and I started by reading some books. I understand only the little bit of the basics of apeture, shutter speed and exposure. I am not sure how far books will bring me, so any help on what I should do now?

    These are the few routes I thought of

    1.)Get an SLR and buy more books and read up, then I would do more hands on photography and try to learn the basics myself.

    2.)Sign up for a basic photography course which lends me a SLR while learning, after the course I would then decide if I would get a better cam.
    3.)Buy and SLR and then go for course, but would go for longer courses, and try to learn more. Then later will upgrade again.

    4.)Stick to my current situation, and read more books before thinking of anything else.

    What do you think I should do? Or should there be other ways of learning? Could you share some tips on how you started? Anyway, a big thank you to those who help. (forgot to say, now I using olympus C-450)
    I'd say do half of 1. Buy a DSLR, the books have already given you a head start, now it's hands on time. Shoot, make mistakes and learn, post your images here and let people criticize.

    If people here tell you it's not good and where to improve, listen. When people say nice pics, take a bow and and try to push yourself to go one better.

    First you can start off by imitating styles, then once you become more confident, then you can develop your own style by experimentation and your own creativity. You will be initially in the growing phase until you come of age, then you'll probably be learning on your own. Then nothing is wrong or right anymore.

    I once told someone this. A PnS camera can only take you so far. You will hit the barrier and won't know what to do next. An SLR/DSLR will allow you to break the barrier. Once that's done, you can probably do wonders with a PnS because only then you will know the strengths and limitations and use that to your advantage.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What to do now?

    [/QUOTE] I once told someone this. A PnS camera can only take you so far. You will hit the barrier and won't know what to do next. An SLR/DSLR will allow you to break the barrier. Once that's done, you can probably do wonders with a PnS because only then you will know the strengths and limitations and use that to your advantage.[/QUOTE]

    Hehe... I know. Agrees with you on this.

    Well... practise makes perfect! I am still saving money for my D70s

  10. #10

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanhjb
    ...
    1.)Get an SLR and buy more books and read up, then I would do more hands on photography and try to learn the basics myself.
    if you do this, you will have to invest $$$ before you know what to invest. But at least, you are shooting more, that is good. Books is good, but you must be able to translate words into deeds. Nothing beats practice.

    Quote Originally Posted by wanhjb
    2.)Sign up for a basic photography course which lends me a SLR while learning, after the course I would then decide if I would get a better cam.
    yeah right, yet to see a photo course that would lend you a SLR/DSLR. Good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by wanhjb
    3.)Buy and SLR and then go for course, but would go for longer courses, and try to learn more. Then later will upgrade again.
    Spend money on camera before you know what you need, spend money on course that may or may not be optimum for you. You don't even know what you want!

    Quote Originally Posted by wanhjb
    4.)Stick to my current situation, and read more books before thinking of anything else.
    What is this preoccupation to reading more books, or taking a class, as if you want to do it the easy way, have someone tell you what to do!

    Why don't you just go any shoot, and then shoot some more. Spend some time doing it, you will find out if you really like it, how much you like photography, what you like to shoot, and then you can make the decision what kind of equipment to get etc etc etc.

    Btw, forget about the books if you are not shooting. No point reading, if you are not practicing!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    I once told someone this. A PnS camera can only take you so far. You will hit the barrier and won't know what to do next. An SLR/DSLR will allow you to break the barrier. Once that's done, you can probably do wonders with a PnS because only then you will know the strengths and limitations and use that to your advantage.
    ... you forgot to add... until the next DSLR with new bells and whistles...

    Btw, i vote for option 1 provided that your olympus C-450 has hit its barrier....
    Having an actual DSLR to play with helps you to improve leaps and bounds.
    I said DSLR coz feedback is instant. SLR works too but you gotta take notes on your shutter, aperture, ISO setting and then check out the developed pictures. Longer learning time.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    ... you forgot to add... until the next DSLR with new bells and whistles...

    Btw, i vote for option 1 provided that your olympus C-450 has hit its barrier....
    Having an actual DSLR to play with helps you to improve leaps and bounds.
    I said DSLR coz feedback is instant. SLR works too but you gotta take notes on your shutter, aperture, ISO setting and then check out the developed pictures. Longer learning time.
    No.. I don't agree with the bells and whistles part. What's more important is that with a DSLR, you are able to see the effects of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Bells and whistles are the extra.

    If the DSLR can just give a proper picture (well calibrated) with a proper daylight white balance, manual exposure control, some built-in metering and a simple automatic exposure control, it would be sufficient. 6mp is sufficient to go up to 6"x10", so for 4R prints, 6mp is already considered overkill.

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    6mp is sufficient to go up to 6"x10", so for 4R prints, 6mp is already considered overkill.
    Just did 3 20" x 30" today off a D2H 4MP NEF. 6MP can go hell a long way.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What to do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Just did 3 20" x 30" today off a D2H 4MP NEF. 6MP can go hell a long way.
    Okay.. point taken..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •