Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Let's say if you are going to beach to take photo, and you can only use either polarizer or lens hood. Which one would you use?

    I prefer polarizer, coz it really enhance the contrast and eliminate reflections.
    If the sun is too bright, at most I use my hand to shelter the lens.
    What do you photography experts think?

  2. #2
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Think both have vastly differing uses.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    both...
    CP to "bluen" the seas and sky plus lens hood to shade my lens

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Is it because u have problem rotating the polarizer when the hood is on? normally i would get the polarizer angle that i want, then put on the hood to minimize flare. it is quite a tedious though

  5. #5
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit
    Let's say if you are going to beach to take photo, and you can only use either polarizer or lens hood. Which one would you use?

    I prefer polarizer, coz it really enhance the contrast and eliminate reflections.
    If the sun is too bright, at most I use my hand to shelter the lens.
    What do you photography experts think?

    I would use two as well... but why's there a restriction imposed on either or both?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    they both do different things, how can compare and choose just one?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by blackandwhite
    Is it because u have problem rotating the polarizer when the hood is on? normally i would get the polarizer angle that i want, then put on the hood to minimize flare. it is quite a tedious though
    yes, that's right.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    I would use two as well... but why's there a restriction imposed on either or both?
    bcoz I just find that troublesome to rotate the polarizer when the hood is on, like what B+W said. Somemore, you might accidentally touch on the filter glass.

    Both are using different methods to achieve the same objective which is to make the picture nicer, but somehow they are not that compatible. Don't know whether technology can help in this.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Huh? What talking you?

    A CPL and len hood's usage are totally different! They compliment each other, they don't negate each other!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    They are for two diffrerent purpose.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    I think I will stick with using polarizer alone

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit
    I think I will stick with using polarizer alone
    Good for you then. All the best.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    They are for two diffrerent purpose.
    he already said earlier that he finds it hard to turn the CP with the hood on and only wants either item on the lens and not both.

    it's not really a question as to which function works on the beach but rather which would you prefer on your lens; A hood or a CP?

    I personally will choose the CP also for a few reason.
    - I would have a nicer sea with less glittery reflections
    - a nice deep blue sky
    - a better sync speed when using a flash as fill in.

    Most cameras can only sync up to 1/250..(D70 being 1/500 from the use eletronic shutter) but let's just stay at 1/250. in a hot sunny afternoon on the beach, I find myself shooting 1/2000 even at f/8 or 11. Good to freeze motion and handshake but when a flash is mounted, the shutter drops to 1/250 (or 1/500) and over-exposure is inevitable.

    As for the hood.. there's always many ways to improvise a hood.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Thomson
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Hoya has got these rubber hoods that can retract and extend and which can be screwed onto the Cir PL (provided it is the 'thick' ones which have a front thread). Now you can enjoy best of both worlds.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    eel, how much is the rubber hood that you talked about. that is something interesting. any viginetting problem?

  16. #16
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    I have not tried this, but you can try sticking a thin long strip of plastic/paper onto the rim of the polarizer, giving you a "handle" to turn the polarizer even when the hood is on?

    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit
    I think I will stick with using polarizer alone

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    it's not really a question as to which function works on the beach but rather which would you prefer on your lens; A hood or a CP?

    I personally will choose the CP also for a few reason.
    - I would have a nicer sea with less glittery reflections
    - a nice deep blue sky
    - a better sync speed when using a flash as fill in.

    Most cameras can only sync up to 1/250..(D70 being 1/500 from the use eletronic shutter) but let's just stay at 1/250. in a hot sunny afternoon on the beach, I find myself shooting 1/2000 even at f/8 or 11. Good to freeze motion and handshake but when a flash is mounted, the shutter drops to 1/250 (or 1/500) and over-exposure is inevitable.

    As for the hood.. there's always many ways to improvise a hood.
    hmm... good idea and very observative

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Locations
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by eel
    Hoya has got these rubber hoods that can retract and extend and which can be screwed onto the Cir PL (provided it is the 'thick' ones which have a front thread). Now you can enjoy best of both worlds.
    Right, it is useful and you can extend and retract the hood to suit different zoom range of the lens.
    I used this product before, too bad before I cover the lens with cap, I have to take out the hood, but it is still good lar, can't be too picky on this already.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Thomson
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by blackandwhite
    eel, how much is the rubber hood that you talked about. that is something interesting. any viginetting problem?
    Depends on the thread sized of the hood. I got one 58mm for $18 and 52mm for $15. I think vignetting depends on the lens. That's why the hood has 3 positions you can extend to: Tele, Mid and Wide. Still, its best to test out with lens you intend to use for.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Polarizer vs Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by eel
    Depends on the thread sized of the hood. I got one 58mm for $18 and 52mm for $15. I think vignetting depends on the lens. That's why the hood has 3 positions you can extend to: Tele, Mid and Wide. Still, its best to test out with lens you intend to use for.
    where to find this hood? I'd like to get one 55mm... thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •