Thread: Confused

Default Confused

Hi all,

I'm very interested into getting my first DSLR to experiment with.
    I'm looking at the Nikon D50 and D70.

But I'm totally new to DSLR. Pardon me if the following questions sounds funny to you.

Shutter count? There's a limit to this? Roughly what's the cost to have that replaced? What's to be replaced? How long does it take?

I see example: D70 body (xxx price). / D70 Kit (xxx price). So D70 Kit means it comes with the body and lens?

Should I be getting a 2nd hand one instead? My main concerned would be, I won't even know what to check for a 2nd hand camera.

I've been reading quite abit but I still couldn't figure out what the lens mm means... does it mean, the higher numbers, the further I can shoot? Really confused here. 17-55mm , 17-35mm etc etc.....

Should I be getting Nikkor lenses or other 3rd party lenses? Does this depends on my budget or? I've been reading and searching that I should not go with the kit lenses? Boy, I'm confused again....

Should I also invest in a box of some sort? Dry box? Electronic box?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Confused

You can get the answers if you searched thru the Nikon Sub-forum.

But anyway, I'll help out a bit here. There is a lifespan to the shutter unit and for these 2 models, it seems to be about 15,000 shots. Check cost thru Nikon Singapore.

A kit means it comes with a kit lens (should be the 18-70mm)

The lens focus lenght is a such, you get to see a different perspective with different zoom lenghts. 17mm is meant for wide angles and the longer you go, 70mm and more it will focus even more tighter on the object which you are aiming on. i.e. 20mm, mebbe can get the whole body in, at 70mm, mebbe only left the head and shoulders.

If you are getting Nikon, then go for Nikkor lenses if your budget allows as they are designed for their own cameras. But there are also some 3rd party lenses which aren't too far off from the Nikkor quality. Look around and read more.

A dry box is a necessity in our environment as we have high humidity and fungus is a worry for most of us. Go invest in one.

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I agree that you can definitely find more info by searching through the forum.

As a beginner, you really shouldn't worry so much about shuttle count. It just shows how much/many times the camera have been used to take a shot. With good maintenance and care, any camera should be able to last you quite a fair bit, until you change your systems.

If you have the budget, just get a new DSLR with kit lens. That way, as a beginner, you can start using it almost immdeiately. Stick to kit lens, and you won't ever need an upgrade until the lens cannot serve your needs. For info, I use the D50 mainly with the kit lens, and it has serve me well so far. Of course I am no pro, but for daily hobby use, it is quite sufficient. So you have got to understand what you intend to use the camera for to decide on lenses and accessories need.

For accessories, you will need the dry box, flash(SB-600 or SB-800 for D50&d70), memory cards, tripods, batteries.

Now, if you are choosing between the D50 & d70, many will tell you that D70 is more capable, but I have chosen the D50 for its compactness and slightly lighter weight, but utimately, it depends on your preference. I find the D50 suitable for me, but just go to the shops and try out both to see which one you like.

Finally, since you are pretty new to the hobby, do attend a basic photography course or join some of the clubsnap outings to understand more about photography. I didn't own a SLR until after my basic course, where I used my dad's old SLR.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by blive; 21st March 2006 at 05:10 PM.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Thank you!

If you do not mind, i got a full set up for u.
    D70s + 18-200 VRII lens, SB800 and 2x2GB CF.
    that should last you for sometime, unless you are goin to certain area.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    If you do not mind, i got a full set up for u.
    D70s + 18-200 VRII lens, SB800 and 2x2GB CF.
    that should last you for sometime, unless you are goin to certain area.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Anyone has any idea what does the Kit comes with actually?
    Body, lens? Speedlight?

Basic kit is only Body + lens

D50 kit is a D50 + a 18-55mm lens
    D70 kit is a D70 + a 18-70mm lens.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

You seem pretty new to photography.
    Suggest you read more before diving too deep.

Cheers!