Thread: lens hood

Default lens hood

just wondering.... when do you guys take off the lens hood and why?

Default Re: lens hood

to reverse it for keeping.

as in when taking pictures the hood is always on??? when do you take of the hood when taking pictures.... as in under what conditions?

it is always on regardless of condition, or unless you want the flare/ghosting effect in your picture.

I think if you know the function of the lens hood, you will know better..

Yes, lens hood always on, only remove it when I need to shoot thru a glass, or working in a very confine area that the lens hood will get into the way.

actually u dun need a lens hood unless u see flare in the lens...if ya lens is excessively prone to flaring as some do...then its best to have ya lens hood on whenever u are shooting.....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    actually u dun need a lens hood unless u see flare in the lens...if ya lens is excessively prone to flaring as some do...then its best to have ya lens hood on whenever u are shooting.....
    Wahaha... No wonder *a*o* doesn't include theirs in the packaging

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Wahaha... No wonder *a*o* doesn't include theirs in the packaging
    Since when he change camp???

Quote Originally Posted by Witness

i use it to protect the front element of the lens as well ..

i only take it out if i dont want to draw to much attention to my camera.

had to take a photo of a speech by a senator, took out the 70-200 2.8 hood. But otherwise its always on.

Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    i use it to protect the front element of the lens as well ..

i only take it out if i dont want to draw to much attention to my camera.

had to take a photo of a speech by a senator, took out the 70-200 2.8 hood. But otherwise its always on.
    WHt do u mean by protec front element of the lens?
    Pls explain, thx

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkid
    WHt do u mean by protec front element of the lens?
    Pls explain, thx
    protect from itchy fingers and from knocks
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Since when he change camp???

Slowly being pull out of the dark side.

I do take out my hood on occasion that the hood is very near to the macro subject and also if Iam using built in flash. (you know what hood can do if you use built in flash)

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    ...you know what hood can do if you use built in flash...
    THANKS! You solved my 'todays mystery'. I took a few indoor pictures today with I white wall behind me, no backlight using the built in flash, 14-45 mm lens at 14 mm. I could not understand how my head could cast a shadow in the picture. Now I know it was not my head, but the stupid hood.

Really, with my 30 years experience, how could I miss that basic lesson number one: Never use a lens hood on wide angle lens with flash, uless you move the flash far from the lens. Moving the built in flash is not an option, so I remove the hood forever. It does not fill any function anyway in most cases. In my 30 years I never had a hood on anything less than a 135mm lens (that is 70 mm in digital Oly terms) and never noticed any glare. I hope todays Oly lenses are the same quality as my old OM-lenses are. For protection I always used, and always will use UV filters, even if a good one is not for free, a new lens is still more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    THANKS! You solved my 'todays mystery'. I took a few indoor pictures today with I white wall behind me, no backlight using the built in flash, 14-45 mm lens at 14 mm. I could not understand how my head could cast a shadow in the picture. Now I know it was not my head, but the stupid hood.

Really, with my 30 years experience, how could I miss that basic lesson number one: Never use a lens hood on wide angle lens with flash, uless you move the flash far from the lens. Moving the built in flash is not an option, so I remove the hood forever. It does not fill any function anyway in most cases. In my 30 years I never had a hood on anything less than a 135mm lens (that is 70 mm in digital Oly terms) and never noticed any glare. I hope todays Oly lenses are the same quality as my old OM-lenses are. For protection I always used, and always will use UV filters, even if a good one is not for free, a new lens is still more expensive.
    is it better to have wide angle lens without hood then?

Wide angle = capture more light from the side. I never used hood on anything less than 135mm (70mm in DC terms) before in my life and never caught glare. On the other hand, I never had a camera with a pop-up flash either. Anyway, it never hurts to use a hood if you disable the pop-up flash. It is really up to you, but as far as I remember, I learned that one should use on tele lens but not on wide angle. That is also my experince.
    Last edited by OlyFlyer; 15th April 2006 at 12:21 AM.

For me, I would use the hood indoors and outdoors, unless when built-in flash in used. But for the lenses which the hood can't be reverse mounted or retractable, I would often forget to bring them or mount them.