Thread: Photo res for developing

Default Photo res for developing

Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before (can't seem to find the threads..)

What are the recommended resolutions for bringing our pix to the studio for developing?

In particular, 3R, 4R, all the way to 8R.
    Whats the optimum DPI (if any?) that's used by the studios?

I do alot of cropping, down to 1024x685 and wanted to develop for 4R. Any foreseen degration?

thankss!

Default Re: Photo res for developing

Originally posted by loboclerk
    Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before (can't seem to find the threads..)

What are the recommended resolutions for bringing our pix to the studio for developing?

In particular, 3R, 4R, all the way to 8R.
    Whats the optimum DPI (if any?) that's used by the studios?

I do alot of cropping, down to 1024x685 and wanted to develop for 4R. Any foreseen degration?

thankss!
    Forget DPI (to be more precise, PPI).

For 4R, you need minimum 640 x 480 (really minimum quality)
    5R - 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024
    8R - 1600 x 1200

You need at least 150ppi or so for a good print, 240 - 300 would be better.

Your 1024 x 685 would have no problems printing to 4R.

Regards
    CK

I always send it at full quality, eg. 4+MP after cropping.

The easy way to determine if your prints will look acceptable/good is -

1. Decide on the size you want.
    2. Take the size x 200 (150 if your standard is lower :P or 250/300 if you have high level of standards)
    3. The resultant number is the number of pixels you need.

NOTE: This is only a guideline, nobody can prevent you from printing a huge 12x8 with 640x480 photos.

For example, you want 4R, which is 4x6", using the above guideline, you'll need 800x1200 pixels. If you take 150, than it becomes 600x900 pixels. Since 4R is relatively small, you probably can get away with a 640x480.

You'll need to print it out and decide for yourself if it's acceptable. It may for you but not to others though.

Regards,
    JK

Lets say for developing 4R, is there a technical limit to the resolution, where by any higher res would not make a difference in the quality? (i.e. probably the capabilities of the printer... but what's it at the studios?)

Originally posted by loboclerk
    Lets say for developing 4R, is there a technical limit to the resolution, where by any higher res would not make a difference in the quality? (i.e. probably the capabilities of the printer... but what's it at the studios?)
    Honestly, you're asking a very subjective question. Like I say, what is acceptable/good to you may not be the case to someone else. Likewise, just because you can see the diff between 200 and 300 dpi prints does not mean somebody else can see it. Ultimately, you'll have to print one out and decide for yourself. Say you take a 2048 x 1536, a 1024 x 768 and a 640 x 480. You go to the same shop and print them out and you'll have to decide for yourself.

Regards,
    JK