Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this ethical?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Is this ethical?

My point basically is just that there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation - lets just wait and see what he says.

For those who know him, do let him know about the thread - not everyone may read every thread in ClubSnap every day.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hmm well I was just speaking generally actually - if it helps, I'll withdraw the use of "allegation" and change it to "comments/posts"

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Not in NS, Studying, Still a kid....

Ignorance or age is no excuse for doing things like these.
    those pics are really nice and perhaps he wanted to share and show the airliners' pics to other pple. of course its wrong especially if he claims its his (did he? the airliners watermark very DUH), but if he is unaware of the "seriousness" of the situation, maybe needn't be too harsh. it's ip, not manslaughter.

jus a casual kopitiam opinion

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    I'm not a Christian/Catholic/etc but,

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Some of the people posting before me are talking legal action, compensation, but step back a little? You're trying to "teach a lesson" to a young man whom you all know has not gone to National Service. Are you trying to bully or resorting to scare tactics on someone who you know isn't mature or worldly enough to put up resistance?

Or do you think he is just a convenient person to be made an example of?

You might say, "Oh, but I've NEVER infringed someone else's copyright, so I am qualified to get all huffy and indignant about this breach of intellectual property!" but do let me know if your computer has not one single files (be it computer program, video, or MP3 or some other media) that complies with all the associated copyrights entitled to it.

I am not condoning his actions, but neither am I condoning the actions of those who are baying for his blood.
    Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by ziedrich
    those pics are really nice and perhaps he wanted to share and show the airliners' pics to other pple. of course its wrong especially if he claims its his (did he? the airliners watermark very DUH), but if he is unaware of the "seriousness" of the situation, maybe needn't be too harsh. it's ip, not manslaughter.

Yes, it says all pic taken on 12 January 2006, guess he must be very busy that day, fly like a superman go around the world to take all this pictures.

Someone whom I sees as a photographer has just turned into CS most wanted criminal. roti prata CSers

Quote Originally Posted by Friday13
    Someone whom I sees as a photographer has just turned into CS most wanted criminal. roti prata CSers
    erm..

it ain't us against him or anything like it.
    roti_prata should reply to the affected parties via PM or whatever.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Hi,

Yes, I feel that it is a serious matter regardless as to who's photo's were leeched.
    I also think that any known leeching should be pointed out for all to be aware of.

Punishment should be metered out by the person/s that own the copyright of the leeched photo/s.

But ! I would still like to hear a reply from the (fill in your own word here) person pointed out as the leecher, before you find a rope and tree.

Regardless of what ever a reply may be (unless it is something we did not account for ); stupidity is never an excuse.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

It's shamefully unethical, wrong, and even illegal to rip off (steal) someone's work and pass it off as your own.

I hate to say this, but I have good reasons to suspect this happens a lot in Singapore.

Thankfully, these are only images of aeroplanes, and not of people. People's images may suffer from cyber-impersonation, and that's worse than just leeching.

I would agree with a fellow ClubSnap member who suggested watermarking. Watermarking with your name (not just your nickname) is effective.

To speak of sueing the culprit is very easy. It's only talk but in reality, some of us may not fork out the $$ to first hire a lawyer to issue him a warning letter, especially if the image isn't commercial valuable (and no loss to your income is caused). Unless you know you can place a value on that image, and sue him for statutory losses, then you would see it worthwhile hiring a lawyer, and getting the culprit to pay for the losses and your legal fees.

Otherwise, really, a large, bold, clear and explicit watermark is the way to go.

Prevention is better than cure.

By the way, doesn't the two popular girlie websites set up by Singaporeans (I won't elaborate which two) also showcase leeched images? How come nobody sue them?
    Last edited by Jemapela; 20th March 2006 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    So? Kids these days have no respect for copyright nor do they have any respect for the law UNTIL they're slapped across the face with legal proceedings so my take is, if they can dish it, they can take it.
    Do you think their adult role models are any better?

I like to eat roti prata... with fish curry...
    dua kosong satu telor!
    Sedap.....

Mr Targetted....

http://static.flickr.com/47/107162014_7c27b27b83.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    Do you think their adult role models are any better?
    I've never said adults were any better, in fact some are worse and that's NO excuse. But in this instance, I'd say the issue is how kids these days have no respect for copyright law BECAUSE they think that as kids they can get away with it. Well, I don't agree with that, end of story. Just take a look at how some kids on HWZ's EDMW behave and you can tell how little they respect copyright laws or intellectual property rights.

I've had my work leeched by others so I am well aware of how it has affected me, financially or otherwise.

http://static.flickr.com/47/107162014_7c27b27b83.jpg

damn young la.
    those that know him personally better give him a call and ask him to remove all photos from his flickr immediately.

we dun want to see a headline screaming "singaporean dude sued for....etc"
    bad name ah. would spoilt cs name too~

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    I've never said adults were any better, in fact some are worse and that's NO excuse. But in this instance, I'd say the issue is how kids these days have no respect for copyright law BECAUSE they think that as kids they can get away with it. Well, I don't agree with that, end of story. Just take a look at how some kids on HWZ's EDMW behave and you can tell how little they respect copyright laws or intellectual property rights.

I've had my work leeched by others so I am well aware of how it has affected me, financially or otherwise.
    Sorry, I didn't intend to attack you over this. It just seemed like you, somehwat unfairly, singled out children. I'd like to suggest though that if children think they "can get away with it", it is probably because their parents let them "get away with it". I know from a teacher that plagiarism or forgery in school assignment comes frequently from the parent's side and the kids are not that happy having to bridge the gap between their parents' and school's ideas of ethics. What is learned in such a situation is that ethics are an optional luxury not applicable to "real life".

I would support the idea to go after the parents or legual guardians of the kid. This would have the effect that the parents would care a bit more about what their child is doing in the future - and being reprimanded by furious parents may have a more lasting effect on a child than dealing with some anonymous authority that their own parents don't seem to care about.

Suprising that even Straits Times does it.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Suprising that even Straits Times does it.
    Are u sure? Its quite a strong accusation...

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Are u sure? Its quite a strong accusation...
    If you still remember, last year. A report about forgotten places during National Day, Straits Times had a pic of the Istana Woodneuk.

Inside the report, every piece of info was wrong. Also said it was under demolition when it isn't.

Then it turned out ST had taken the pic of this CSer called Hazmee, without his permission, let alone pay him. He had posted the whole issue here.

This I hope is just an isolated case.

I agree with some members here that we (especially the copyright owners) should first here the explanation of the accused although it seems quite certain no explanation is needed.

If the accused is really guilty, then the owners who have been affected and have the means to sue, should sue. It could make headlines in the news, and it's something that would serve as a lesson/warning to others.

Since years ago, Singaporeans have built for themselves an ugly reputation by the creation of girlie websites containing secretly-snapped and leeched photos accompanied by disrespectful comments. My point being, some S'poreans are just ___________ (you fill in the blank).

I hate to say this but I also wonder how many members here are using avatars that are not their own work.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 21st March 2006 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziedrich

i thought of that same thing too, that he merely wanted to share good photos..

but after reading what he wrote, i dont think it's just an simple case of "sharing" since he himself said this, as i quote him:

"check out my gallery below in my sig for some of my better pics. i suggest u setup at airport road alongside the runmorningway with the longest lens u hav."

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Say you have your own personal photo sharing site but you take photos from other photogs and pass it off as you own. I wont say which cser is doing this but let's say he taking stuff we posted to share with others and puting them on his own site. What's your say?
    No.

I thought the answer would be obvious? :|

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Since years ago, Singaporeans have built for themselves an ugly reputation by the creation of girlie websites containing secretly-snapped and leeched photos accompanied by disrespectful comments. My point being, some S'poreans are just ___________ (you fill in the blank).
    Forgive me, I noticed you singled out Singaporeans in particular. Obviously you have not been around the net much. Leeching is a universal problem. It's like the other thread about the flying lemurs where someone mentioned the culprits to be Chinese and another immediately assumed them to be PRC. It just speaks of a certain biasness, don't you think?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast