Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SLR to DSLR

Default Re: SLR to DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Once you have an SLR, you'll want a DSLR
    Once you have an DSLR, you'll want a SLR

And so it goes...
    Absolutely right. Put me in the second category. It's great to be able to use both though. For fast action and long-range shots, the DSLR would come straight out of the bag for me. For trips through places that I've seen many times before, for things that don't move very much, or just for something different, I'd dish out the old film camera.

Life is all about experiences, and using both is, to me, something that should be attempted in a journey through photography.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.
    Don't want to start another digital vs film as it was debated/argued till the cow come home.

This is to direct at the thread starter regarding his comment; he do not put any thoughts/compose when taking with DSLR maybe cos' he think it's "free" or can delete if not "nice" but with SLR, every frame cost monies/do not delete therefore much thoughts was put in place before the shuttle is pressed.
    Last edited by tim; 19th March 2006 at 06:01 PM.

Currently its my wallet that preventing me form getting into DSLRs. Slightly OT here, I just went to the library and borrowed the Wildlife Photographer of the Year portfolio and just realised that most the shots there were done on film ( dominated by fuji emultions :O ) .
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Usually for books like these, the pics are all shot on film.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    Currently its my wallet that preventing me form getting into DSLRs. Slightly OT here, I just went to the library and borrowed the Wildlife Photographer of the Year portfolio and just realised that most the shots there were done on film ( dominated by fuji emultions :O ) .
    Yes, a lot of them use Velvia 50, Sensia 100 and for some faster shots the Kodachrome 200, sometimes pushed. That means the shutter speeds they use are also remarkably slow...much slower than I would dare to use because I don't shoot from a supported position. Over time I expect to see images generated from the top-end DSLRs appearing in these books. However that will indeed take a long time...wildlife photographers love their Velvias and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Yes, a lot of them use Velvia 50, Sensia 100 and for some faster shots the Kodachrome 200, sometimes pushed. That means the shutter speeds they use are also remarkably slow...much slower than I would dare to use because I don't shoot from a supported position. Over time I expect to see images generated from the top-end DSLRs appearing in these books. However that will indeed take a long time...wildlife photographers love their Velvias and for good reason.
    So does that mean for slides, a lower ASA speed like 50 or 100 is the best for all conditions?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Cost more in a sense that becos SLRs have a shutter curtain while DSLRs don't?
    well, even DSLRs have shutter curtains
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    so the curtains must be between the reflex mirror and the sensor i presume, similar to SLRs.

My DSLR doesn't have any shutter curtains. Since the CCD is the one doing the capture you can electronically controller the "shutter speed".

Hmmm..confused here, cos i don't use DSLR so i only know that SLRs have shutter curtains.

I use to use a Minolta Dynax 5. Took quite a few good shots withat camera. Regretfully I sold it off.
    Get a Dynax 7 back then, since it's much cheaper now

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Once you have an SLR, you'll want a DSLR
    Once you have an DSLR, you'll want a SLR

And so it goes...
    In category 2 also
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

remove the body cover of your DSLR. flip up the mirror. Between the mirror and your sensor, there's a shutter curtain IIRC
    eat. drink. shoot

I believe that the canon DLSR's also have a shutter curtain. The CMOS sensor is unable to be powered up juat to take the shot. It has to be 'precharged' first then when light hits the sensors it recird the pattern of light.

I dont know of any sensors that control exposure by choosing how long you 'on' the sensor...

remove the body cover of your DSLR. flip up the mirror. Between the mirror and your sensor, there's a shutter curtain IIRC
    I stand corrected.

So i suppose the shutter curtain's there to prevent any light from entering just like in SLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    On the 'thinking' side of things, the very act of shooting with film certainly helps. During yesterday's outing I was working with an old manual focus film camera and found myself looking through the viewfinder for long periods at a time, and even so I backed out at the last minute, deciding not to press the shutter button at all.

In a way though, it was enlightening to just shoot the scene once or twice and then move on...no need to look at LCD screens or spend time reviewing the image. Much as I'd like to see all my images now, I can't though, unfortunately. Most of the others from the outing are already posting their images up!
    Yeah.. if you practise shooting digital like that, then only preview after everything is over, you will get to learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Cost more in a sense that becos SLRs have a shutter curtain while DSLRs don't?
    A DSLR ~$1400, ~50,000 clicks, cost per click ~$0.03
    A film SLR ~$600, ~50 000 clicks, cost per click ~$0.01, but ~$0.50/print.

Therefore, for film, each click is $0.50, before you hit the lifespan of the shutter, you would have spent $25000 on the prints!! Unless you're someone who go to shoots just to show off your camera and you don't even load film. Been to some photographic society outings, yes, there are some people who are like that..

For digital, it's free, or almost free. You will tend to hit the lifespan of the shutter sooner than you think if you don't think before you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon

Therefore, for film, each click is $0.50, before you hit the lifespan of the shutter, you would have spent $25000 on the prints!! Unless you're someone who go to shoots just to show off your camera and you don't even load film. Been to some photographic society outings, yes, there are some people who are like that..

For digital, it's free, or almost free. You will tend to hit the lifespan of the shutter sooner than you think if you don't think before you shoot.
    Actaully if you dont print it all its much cheaper. My SLR costs $200 that makes it about $0.004 per click. It will take me about 1800+ rolls of film to hit 50k :O I dont think a hobbyist like me would hit that figure anytime soon. Also I don't choose to print every shot( develop + scan i roll = $9). If you really are a perfessional that shoots in high volumes digital is way more cost effective. But I feel for me, I might not shoot enough film to justify the cost of a digital. Although I do miss the freedom of shooting freely and would like to get a DLSR

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon

Shooting without loading film?? Then i think might as well don't shoot at all

Anyway i usually don't print out my pics as all are scanned into a CD. I suppose it's a compromise between cost and quality.

My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.
    i don't really see it as a problem. its probably the style of shooting. i shoot both SLR n DSLR. and yes i can relate to wat ya saying. to me, DSLR is like a machine gun, shoot first n question later. as for SLR, its like a sniper riffle. u take your time to compose yr pic... its doesn't matter how long you take to compose yr pic. its either u hv it or u don't. nt time tell yr wife, by snapping away doesn't mean u r taking lousier pics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast