Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: SLR to DSLR

  1. #1
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default SLR to DSLR

    My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.

  2. #2

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.
    The problem with free vs not free.. Just think about the shutter count and you will shoot with more care.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    It's probably just a mindset, or it's just the 'breaking in' period when you're still new to something and getting used to using it. Arguably, quantity goes up and quality goes down with digital because there's a tendency to snap something when it looks 'nice'.

    Anyway, I'm going the other way myself, having done digital always, and only dabbling in film yesterday, so I've yet to see if the theory is indeed true. It's great having both mediums to try.

  4. #4

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    I do agree that when i use my P&S i just go shutter crazy yea i guess the part about realising that you are paying for very shot does take a toll on you..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  5. #5
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.
    I am like that. SLR is still the better way to learn photography. DSLR just makes me lazy and "shoot first, ask questions later".
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  6. #6

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    I reserve my SLR (now I shoot exclusively on slides on my SLR) for "artwork", while I use my DSLR for "snapshots". Now how's that to prove the theory?

    Because there's no instant review, I just have to take it by faith I got the shot I want with my SLR. With DSLR, "don't like, shoot again."

  7. #7

    Cool Re: SLR to DSLR

    ya... feel like switching back to slr...

  8. #8

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    simple. tell ur wifey... film for serious shooter, digital for casual shooter ...

    swtich back? Don't! .. must try RF or MF,LF .... photography isnt' just 35mm :P kekeke

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    The problem with free vs not free.. Just think about the shutter count and you will shoot with more care.
    But SLRs do have a shutter count limit too mah right?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    I don't own a DSLR though. Sometimes when i bring my SLR to events shoots and a wedding one yesterday, people always have this mindset that everyone now is sing DSLR and when some approached me to look at the pics and when i told them it's film, they just looked disappointed. Just like when the bride wanted to look at my pics yesterday, i told her that mine's film and then she said 'chey'.

    Haizz...so demoralising.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    But SLRs do have a shutter count limit too mah right?
    Yeah.. but your film will cost more than that.

  12. #12

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    It's probably just a mindset, or it's just the 'breaking in' period when you're still new to something and getting used to using it. Arguably, quantity goes up and quality goes down with digital because there's a tendency to snap something when it looks 'nice'.

    Anyway, I'm going the other way myself, having done digital always, and only dabbling in film yesterday, so I've yet to see if the theory is indeed true. It's great having both mediums to try.
    For someone who is very familiar with film, you will tend to check things twice because you release the shutter because you must make sure that you got that shot right. For digital, if you don't get it, you will know from the preview and you can always shoot again. People tend to forget to think. But think of the amount of junk data you will accumulate and you will also think twice before you shoot. Also, think about the times when you know that if you missed a good shot because your settings are wrong and you missed another one because you need to look at the LCD? All these should become very natural.

  13. #13
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    maybe because film colours may look nicer than digital sensors? always think before you shoot, be it film or digital
    eat. drink. shoot

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    velvia 50

  15. #15
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    I use to use a Minolta Dynax 5. Took quite a few good shots withat camera. Regretfully I sold it off.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah.. but your film will cost more than that.
    Cost more in a sense that becos SLRs have a shutter curtain while DSLRs don't?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Still love my EOS 30 though....especially when coupled with slides
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    get a manual lens, let u think before shoot...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    For someone who is very familiar with film, you will tend to check things twice because you release the shutter because you must make sure that you got that shot right. For digital, if you don't get it, you will know from the preview and you can always shoot again. People tend to forget to think. But think of the amount of junk data you will accumulate and you will also think twice before you shoot. Also, think about the times when you know that if you missed a good shot because your settings are wrong and you missed another one because you need to look at the LCD? All these should become very natural.
    On the 'thinking' side of things, the very act of shooting with film certainly helps. During yesterday's outing I was working with an old manual focus film camera and found myself looking through the viewfinder for long periods at a time, and even so I backed out at the last minute, deciding not to press the shutter button at all.

    In a way though, it was enlightening to just shoot the scene once or twice and then move on...no need to look at LCD screens or spend time reviewing the image. Much as I'd like to see all my images now, I can't though, unfortunately. Most of the others from the outing are already posting their images up!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default Re: SLR to DSLR

    Once you have an SLR, you'll want a DSLR
    Once you have an DSLR, you'll want a SLR

    And so it goes...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •