Thread: Printing a 640x480 image

Default Printing a 640x480 image

Hi, guys, I currently have a 640x480 photo taken way back before the megapixel era (Remember the floppy disk Sony Mavicas?) in 2000, and I wish to print them out, so how should I go about doing it? 4R is the minimum size. Should I upsample the image to 1024x768, more than 1024x768 or just leave it as is? I'm also concurrently conducting a little "experiment" to see if a third party software which upsamples images for printing at large sizes will also work. If anyone wants to know the results, post here and I'll divulge more details.

Default Re: Printing a 640x480 image

Quote Originally Posted by daffodilistic
    Hi, guys, I currently have a 640x480 photo taken way back before the megapixel era (Remember the floppy disk Sony Mavicas?) in 2000, and I wish to print them out, so how should I go about doing it? 4R is the minimum size. Should I upsample the image to 1024x768, more than 1024x768 or just leave it as is? I'm also concurrently conducting a little "experiment" to see if a third party software which upsamples images for printing at large sizes will also work. If anyone wants to know the results, post here and I'll divulge more details.
    4R is 2:3, different ratio from your VGA pic.

You'll either have to crop (suffers even more quality loss), or to have white borders on 2 sides.

my friend ever 'stole' some of my pics from my gallery to print 4R cos she liked them so much.

My gallery pics are all 600x400 pixels. I've seen the 4R print and unless you take a very hard look at it and compare with another higher res pic. You can't really tell much diff.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    my friend ever 'stole' some of my pics from my gallery to print 4R cos she liked them so much.

My gallery pics are all 600x400 pixels. I've seen the 4R print and unless you take a very hard look at it and compare with another higher res pic. You can't really tell much diff.
    Ah ha, does that mean that those good pictures that we post at say 500x750 in this forum can be readily printed to 4R without problem or rather get a decent print? Has anyone tried? Maybe, one of these days, I will try it out to see for myself.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Ah ha, does that mean that those good pictures that we post at say 500x750 in this forum can be readily printed to 4R without problem or rather get a decent print? Has anyone tried? Maybe, one of these days, I will try it out to see for myself.
    print at both hi-res & 500x750 and asked yourself whether higher details are necessary.