Thread: How to heat up silica gel?

Default How to heat up silica gel?

I made a mess the last time I did it. Pls advise the best way to do it.

bake them in the microwave oven

won't you poison your oven like that ?

what I do it to line my frying pan with aluminium foil.. then heat it up over the stove
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Didn't bother. Just open up the oven to let it air for sometime before using it again.

Originally posted by rueyloon
    won't you poison your oven like that ?

what I do it to line my frying pan with aluminium foil.. then heat it up over the stove
    why? is silica poisonous?

Default Do it like frying rice.

I like to fry my Silica Gel in the wok at home using the frying ladle/spatula to actually turn it in the wok like fried rice. Stir until you see all blue.
    Wash the wok and other implements as per normal. Btw I have always thought that Silica is the same component that makes up sand.
    YMMV.

The silica gel thing is actually porous silicon dioxide. Or sand.

It isn't toxic on its own, and you're more likely to choke on it.

Don't trust me? Well, do you trust them? http://www.oea.umaryland.edu/news/20...oison_week.htm

Default Re: Do it like frying rice.

Originally posted by rebalf
    I like to fry my Silica Gel in the wok at home using the frying ladle/spatula to actually turn it in the wok like fried rice. Stir until you see all blue.
    Wash the wok and other implements as per normal. Btw I have always thought that Silica is the same component that makes up sand.
    YMMV.
    Hi,

Thanks Zoomer, for clearing that up. Actually, I forgot to mention something.

KEEP the little bottles that the Silica Gel comes in. Apparently they are made of some kind of material that doesn't warp when you funnel (Oh yeah forgot to mention dedicated funnel made out of top half of 1.5L PET bottle. ) the hot Silica Gel from the Frying Wok right into the Bottle.)

Regards

The last time I did it was to put it the silica gel inside a microwavable plastic container. THe container melted and the silica gel seeped through the holes.

you sure your container is microwave safe??

Save yourself all the hassle of regenerating silica gel and buy an electric dehumidifier. You can get one for as low as $99 if not lower.

Regards
    CK

Used to heat them with my old army issued mestin....that was b4 I bought the electric dehumidifier.....

Originally posted by ckiang
    Save yourself all the hassle of regenerating silica gel and buy an electric dehumidifier. You can get one for as low as $99 if not lower.

Regards
    CK

Hi CK, where to get a cheap n good electric dehumidifier? Is it in cabinet form?

Stevick

Originally posted by excentrique
    you sure your container is microwave safe??
    Microwave safe plastic containers can tahan at most 100-200 degrees.

Your silica gel will go much hotter, cos there isn't much water to avaliable to cool the food. (Oops, did I say food? )

Try to use ceremic or aluminium foil instead.

Originally posted by Zoomer

Microwave safe plastic containers can tahan at most 100-200 degrees.

Your silica gel will go much hotter, cos there isn't much water to avaliable to cool the food. (Oops, did I say food? )

Try to use ceremic or aluminium foil instead.
    Is it safe to put aluminum foil in microwave oven (and actually turn the oven on)?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by roygoh

Is it safe to put aluminum foil in microwave oven (and actually turn the oven on)?
    NO, in fact, outright dangerous to have metallic objects in the Microwave oven.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

NO, in fact, outright dangerous to have metallic objects in the Microwave oven.

Regards
    CK
    Depends. Some newer microwaves can accept low density metals cos they did something to the waves. (can't remember offhand, some shielding or something)

RTFM!

Originally posted by Zoomer

Depends. Some newer microwaves can accept low density metals cos they did something to the waves. (can't remember offhand, some shielding or something)

RTFM!
    The key word is "depends".

My advice is to stay away from using aluminum foil in a microwave oven unless you are really sure that your oven is the latest and greatest with the technology Zoomer has mentioned.

Another alternative is to use a conventional oven. Such ovens are temperature controlled and mostly come with a timer, so it will be much safer.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

OK, here's some results of a quick search for microwave oven safety on the internet. I should leave it to each to draw your own conclusions.

1. From FDA (http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/microwave.html

Generally, metal pans or aluminum foil should also not be used in a microwave oven, as the microwaves are reflected off these materials causing the food to cook unevenly and possibly damaging the oven.

2. From How Stuff Works (http://www.howstuffworks.com/microwave.htm)

Metal reflects microwaves, which is why metal pans do not work well in a microwave oven.

3. From Michigan State University Extension (http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500615.html)

As a rule, it's not good to use metal pans made for
    conventional ovens or aluminum foil because reflected
    microwaves cause uneven cooking and could even damage the
    oven. However, some new metal cookware is specially
    configured for use in microwave ovens. These pans are
    safe, provided instructions for use are carefully
    followed.

4. From a site called "Unwise Microwave Oven Experiments" (http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/weird/microexp.html#myth)

I'd seen electrical flames produced by microwave ovens before. In the strong RF field, even the tiniest flame will absorb a large percent of the many-hundred-watts oven output and grow large. Thousand watt candle? So, I decided to try initiating an electrical flame-discharge intentionally. I tore aluminum foil into 2" squares, crumpled it lightly so it didn't lay flat, then placed it on the oven turntable with the two foil pieces adjacent to each other and in gentle contact. Sure enough, when the oven was turned on there was a loud buzz and a bright light, and a flame erupted from the contact point between the two pieces of foil. When I looked in on them, I found that the brief flame had eaten a bite about the size of a dime out of both pieces.