Thread: Moon Over Bedok Reservoir

Default Moon Over Bedok Reservoir

My first try at night photography. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Moon Over Bedok Reservoir

your thread title was misleading for me. might be nice to include view of the reservoir with the moon?
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r
    your thread title was misleading for me. might be nice to include view of the reservoir with the moon?
    Sorry, I could not get the moon and reservoir in because I brought the wrong lens. I was using a Tokina 80-400.

Will watch my titles in future

no problem.. keep shooting.. nice try...

I really like your photo! I wanted to do something similar with a lake we have here. There was a full moon the other night when I was out and I thought it would make such a beautiful picture with the lake and then the moon reflecting over the water..but of course I forgot my camera and by the time I got back home and got to the lake, the moon had risen up a bit into the sky and wasn't really effective anymore.

You can also try shooting the moon's reflection with ultra slow shutter speed, tripod mount

Quote Originally Posted by swimaniac
    Sorry, I could not get the moon and reservoir in because I brought the wrong lens. I was using a Tokina 80-400.

Will watch my titles in future

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    You can also try shooting the moon's reflection with ultra slow shutter speed, tripod mount
    Hiee...bro.

Ultra low shutter speeds...may not be that good to apply here as the moon is moving.
    Long exposures unless you want streak of moon movement.

If the moon is the main and only subject then sharpness and details are the key focus. A blurred picture of a moon is usually not very appealing. Do a search for moon pictures posted on CS and read on the setup and techniques. Some use telescopes and some use telephoto lenses with tele-converters. I have seen very successful pictures from both methods. That should help you to improve in your future attempts. For a start, auto-focusing rarely works for moon photography and even if you use manual focusing, you have to take a large number of shots in a session, re-focusing for every shot, and then pick out the ones that are the sharpest before applying any further processing.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Hiee...bro.

Ultra low shutter speeds...may not be that good to apply here as the moon is moving.
    Long exposures unless you want streak of moon movement.

Yeah, that was the point, as the title suggests the inclusion of water, and he couldn't fit the water into the composition. I was overdramatic in the choice of "ultra", but 20-30secs exposure shouldn't be too bad right?

Don't look sharp enough to me.

Try using a good tripod, cause shooting things that is so far away is not easy. Still good try.

Cheers.