Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Any Scale modeller?

Default Re: Any Scale modeller?

Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    Thanks fulcrum.
    Surprised that Fujimi has the best british Phantoms, last time I thought their kits have no details at all (I have Fujimi 1/48 TA-4 and F-8). Probably worth to try their 1/72, do you know which shop stocks Fujimi kits?
    I found Heller and Hobbycraft are the most disappointing kits (for 1/48 size), less details, poor fits, poor decal quality.
    The picture below is my Alphajet, 1/50th scale, Heller kit. Its decals easily fall off.

No problem mate.
    Why i regard Fujimi 1/72 Phantoms as one of the best...1)numerous markings included, esp British birds. 2)above average tooling. 3)affordable price(S$18-25). Forget about Fujimi's 1/48(more like 1/50) subjects. Those are CRAP. Look at the 'sofa' seat from their Skyhawk range.

IMHO, Heller 1/48 subjects such as Mirage 2000C, Super Etendard, French Jaguar are the only game in town. ESCI/Italeri's Mirage 2000 is based on the prototype. I can't say much about Hobbycraft coz i classify their kits as 'masak masak' LOL!

You cant do much on those decals since it has aged(which explains why it shatters easily). The Heller Alphajet was produced in the late 70s/early 80s. The only way to protect is to spray a layer of Future(floor wax) or clear coat.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum
    No problem mate.
    Why i regard Fujimi 1/72 Phantoms as one of the best...1)numerous markings included, esp British birds. 2)above average tooling. 3)affordable price(S$18-25). Forget about Fujimi's 1/48(more like 1/50) subjects. Those are CRAP. Look at the 'sofa' seat from their Skyhawk range.
    I'll try some of Fujimi's 1/72 british Phantoms, it is really a surprise to hear that they can produce good 1/72 kits while their 1/48s are craps. Yes, I remember those "sofa seat" at their Skyhawk. I assembled one with disappointment.

You cant do much on those decals since it has aged(which explains why it shatters easily). The Heller Alphajet was produced in the late 70s/early 80s. The only way to protect is to spray a layer of Future(floor wax) or clear coat. Cheers!
    Actually, the decals did not shatter while applying it. It can be applied normally, and looks okey. But after some years, slowly it peels off, showing its foggy transparent backings, as you can see on the below pictures of my Bell H13 helicopter.
    I have Humbrol's Decal Cote 1 & 2, to coat the decals. But the problem is: the coating is not 100% matt, it creates a silky skin which will be easily seen on a matt surface. The shiny surface of the coating will be a contrast to the matt paint scheme.

Bell H-13H, 1/35th scale, Revell kit.

I'll try some of Fujimi's 1/72 british Phantoms, it is really a surprise to hear that they can produce good 1/72 kits while their 1/48s are craps. Yes, I remember those "sofa seat" at their Skyhawk. I assembled one with disappointment.
    IF you can find it, they're now one of the rarest 1/72 Phantoms around. Their 1/72 range for SOME aircraft are decent, like Phantoms, MiG-21s and Skyhawks. Avoid their 1/72 MiG-29 though, the shape's not exactly accurate compared to Italeri's. Their A-7s are decent but stay away from their F-16s. Leave the F-16s to Revell Germany. Besides the Tornado, the Revell Germany F-16MLU and F-16 Blk 52 are the best in 1/72. Their 1/72 Hunter F.Mk.6 and new tool MiG-21 are also worthy of mention.

Actually, the decals did not shatter while applying it. It can be applied normally, and looks okey. But after some years, slowly it peels off, showing its foggy transparent backings, as you can see on the below pictures of my Bell H13 helicopter.
    Decals not adhering? Simplest solution is the brush on a coat of water mixed with white glue(PVA), allow to dry, then spray a layer of flat coat to seal it in further. Decals are still adhesive based so they won't last for long.

I have Humbrol's Decal Cote 1 & 2, to coat the decals. But the problem is: the coating is not 100% matt, it creates a silky skin which will be easily seen on a matt surface. The shiny surface of the coating will be a contrast to the matt paint scheme.

Bell H-13H, 1/35th scale, Revell kit.

Hi,

The silvering of the decals is due to incorrect application. You NEED to gloss coat(or apply Future) before decal application. This will remove the silvering/matte underside. Having left to dry for at least 12hrs, then apply either semi-gloss or flat coat, depending on subject matter. IMHO, Humbrol Satin coat is one of the BEST!

Cheers!

My brothers and I used to build all these in our early teens and they are still doing it! I have my collection of 350 scale battleships (full range) as well as 24 scale tanks and a 16 scale Leopard. Have stopped building after I ran out of space and had to give most of my aircrafts away save a few. However I have a problem and hope some expert can help to salvage the situation .. most of the decals have aged and turned yellow. How to replace them or rescue them? Thanks in advance.

Anyone from Katoot forum??

exitilus
    Guests

Talking Re: Any Scale modeller?

Hi I'm also a scale modeller too.

I have built Models like Gundam, Aircrafts, Ships, Cars.

MiG-21 Fishbed
    This is a Matchbox 1/72 kit. Tail fin fitting was extremely bad and a lot of putty was needed. Pitot tube was a large needle. Replaced some of the frail antenna with wires too. Gunpod was from a MiG-23...

Not a detailed kit. Cockpit glass is of the "milkbottle" kind of thickness...

I like this Finnish paint scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum
    Hi,
    The silvering of the decals is due to incorrect application. You NEED to gloss coat(or apply Future) before decal application. This will remove the silvering/matte underside. Having left to dry for at least 12hrs, then apply either semi-gloss or flat coat, depending on subject matter. IMHO, Humbrol Satin coat is one of the BEST!
    Cheers!
    Thanks Fulcrum and G-man.
    So it seems as I have to put something before applying the decals. You mention 'Future', where can I get it?
    Fulcrum, G-man, from your experience, is there any good matt coat which come in spray bottle? I am thinking to spray the whole aircraft with coating after applying the decals, before completing the weathering.
    If you see the last picture of Zplus' MIG-21, the decal is shiny, a contrast difference with the rest matt paint of the plane. That is what I try to avoid.
    My goal in building models, is to achieve the outlook as close as possible to the original, I studied photographs of the real aircraft before start painting. I take care especially on the weathering-effect which will make a big difference whenever the model was photographed (but may not look good when viewed on the display-case).

So it seems as I have to put something before applying the decals. You mention 'Future', where can I get it?
    Fulcrum, G-man, from your experience, is there any good matt coat which come in spray bottle? I am thinking to spray the whole aircraft with coating after applying the decals, before completing the weathering.
    If you see the last picture of Zplus' MIG-21, the decal is shiny, a contrast difference with the rest matt paint of the plane. That is what I try to avoid.
    My goal in building models, is to achieve the outlook as close as possible to the original, I studied photographs of the real aircraft before start painting. I take care especially on the weathering-effect which will make a big difference whenever the model was photographed (but may not look good when viewed on the display-case).
    That effect is known as "silvering". Some decals need a gloss surface for attaching decals properly to prevent silvering. So in the USA, they spray a layer of Future to create a gloss surface. Future is a US brand of acrylic floor polish that leaves a nice glossy clear layer. It is very useful for cockpit glass as it covers fine scratches too. After getting a glossy surface you can use decal setting solution to soften the decal. This makes the decal follow the penal lines and surface of your model. You get a "painted on" look.

In Singapore you can't buy Future floor polish. So the next best thing is glossy clear coat. After that... apply semi gloss or matt clear coat.

Yeah, my Mig-21 silvers quite badly. That was before I know about this silvering thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    My brothers and I used to build all these in our early teens and they are still doing it! I have my collection of 350 scale battleships (full range) as well as 24 scale tanks and a 16 scale Leopard. Have stopped building after I ran out of space and had to give most of my aircrafts away save a few. However I have a problem and hope some expert can help to salvage the situation .. most of the decals have aged and turned yellow. How to replace them or rescue them? Thanks in advance.
    Hi Jay,

To be honest, there's nothing much you can do with those 'yellowish' decals. Having said that, you can place your decal on your windows during the morning sun...leave it there for around 30mins(max!). Check and see if the yellow tinge has lighten. Repeat when neccessary.

Prevention is better than cure...all my decals are kept in my drybox too!

Cheers!

Hi all,

Future used to be available at ACE DIY at Novena Sq(closed since 2003 i think). I still have two bottles with me but wont last me long.

If you have friends in Down Under, get them to buy Johnson's Kleer from their local hypermarket(Target, etc). It's the same.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Future or the UK equivalent, can be bought at Handyman DIY store, Lido that side, level 3. Expensive now man, costs $20 per bottle but lasts a looooong time.

I use Gunze Super Clear for my matt coats as it does a fine job of matt coating my paints. Depending on what you use, you can also try Humbrol matt coat but take note that matt coats should be misted lightly.

I like your attitude to scale modeling! True spirit of accuracy but watch out for AMS(an@l modeler's syndrome) where you end up even disputing the accuracy of the kit due to some rivet differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    I have a method that MIGHT work.

Put each decal in a ziploc bag and seal it. Then paste the ziploc bag onto a glass window with the decals facing outward(not paste outside!). Let the sun bleach the decals for a week or so, depending on the weather.

Take the decal outta the ziploc bag, lightly mist a coat of gloss coat over the decal and let dry COMPLETELY before keeping it. Decals should be whitened by now.
    Last edited by G-man; 22nd March 2006 at 11:44 AM.

IMHO, there's no good clear coat that comes in cans! Why? Simple...the pressure is not regulated and thus unstable. One trick is to soak 3/4 of the can onto a pail with warm water(around 50-60 deg). LEave it there for around 1min. Take out and spray immediately. I WOULDN'T recommend this method though...you have been warned

Be advised looking at photos may not give a good indication of the paint scheme/shades. If overcast, you know lah...too bright, also cannot. The best bet is when using enamel paints(say Gunze Mr Colour), tone down the primary colour by 5% white. This is the closest you can get...for example, our RSAF Viper has Gunship Gray (FS36118), add 5% white to it. If you use as it is, the shade will be too dark.

IMHO, i see alot of modelers using the pre-shading method..spraying black/dark gray on panel lines, followed by the camo colour. I find this method highly inaccurate. This method only applies to naval aircraft and perhaps the Colonial Viper of Battlestar Galactica, and having said that, don't over do it. Some chaps simply pre-shade for the sake of pre-shading it. Their Jedi-masters aren't teaching them the right trick...i can share with you how i do it...but it depends on individual style...just like photog right?
    Last edited by Fulcrum; 22nd March 2006 at 11:52 AM.

Hmmmm, I've used Gunze clear coat with success. Maybe it's practise.

I don't like to pre-shade these days, I go for the clean look already for my Gundams.

Modeller here TRYING to save up for a DSLR

Pics below taken using Canon A70

More Pics Below!
    Subaru Impreza WRC Monte Carlo '05 (Tamiya 1/24)

MORE PICS
    HERE!!!!

MORE PICS:
    F-14A Splintered NSAWC Tomcat

MORE PICS HERE

FWAH!!!! Maxwinamp, those are very nice builds!!!!!

maxwinamp, nice ones!
    Esp the splinter scheme tomcat. Is that an aggressor bird?

Hi maxwinamp,

Nice kits bro! Wonder how a 1/24 WRX in the new TP scheme looks!

Cheers!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast