Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Scale modeller?

Default Re: Any Scale modeller?

Scratch built? I saw in R/C mags that there are R/C jet fighters now with jet engines that work. I wonder if they are available here.

G-man, thanks!

Fulcrum, Nice collection! These are 1/48 scale??

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    I have way too many boxes in my room. They've replaced my walls. This is 1/5 of my collection.

I keep telling myself I'll be able to finish them all after I retire.
    Sausage, yr collection is amazing.
    I used to have a shelf to showcase all my tanks and warships, too bad after I married and moved to my own home, my mum thought they were junks and threw them all away. Maybe after I retire I can re-do it all over again...

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    G-man, thanks!

Fulcrum, Nice collection! These are 1/48 scale??
    Hi Zplus,

Yup, all in 1/48. But im switching to 1/72 due to space constraints

Compare to you guys, me small collector only, haha! Also not much space for placing, so, will choose what is wanted. Skill super lousy anyway, haha! Last time got 2 of them, no $ to buy paint etc... In the end, F-16 kenna throw away, aircraft carrier still with me. Really like this kind of modelling, got a nice feeling once u finish it up n see the result.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum
    Hi Zplus,

Yup, all in 1/48. But im switching to 1/72 due to space constraints
    hi Fulcrum, as per your experience, what brand of 1/72 is well detailed with affordable price?
    I'm familiar with 1/48, but not the 1/72. I tried some from Hasegawa and Airfix.

Jaguar GR.Mk.1/A, 1/72nd scale, Hasegawa kit. RAF Gulf war paint scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    hi Fulcrum, as per your experience, what brand of 1/72 is well detailed with affordable price?
    I'm familiar with 1/48, but not the 1/72. I tried some from Hasegawa and Airfix.
    Hesagawa makes quite good 1/72 but gotta check the date of manufacture. Some old molds are quite bad with raised penal lines. Sometimes these get reboxed with new decals but same old molds. Newer ones are priced quite high. But in general Hesagawa is not cheap.

Fujimi makes pretty good models but for certian planes only. IMHO Fujimi 1/72 Skyhawks are the most detailed. Their 1/72 tomcats also come with photoetched parts and rubber wheels. These are not cheap though.

Academy makes very affordable 1/72 planes. Their newer ones are quite nicely done with recessed penal lines (F-117, F-15E, F-14). Generally ok. Some older kits are reboxed from Hesegawa molds and has raised penal lines (eg, f-16a, mig-27, mig-23, mirage 3, jaguar gr.1)

Dragon 1/72 is not bad but not much more in production. Newer ones after going under China seems to have some mold flash problems. Their armour kits seems to be better now. Aircraft... so so...

Iterali makes a wide range of 1/72. Some are reboxed east european kits (eg Mig-23, Ka-32) which are quite nice. Iterali plastic is quite soft so must be quite careful. Good range and generally ok. Some have fit problems and need putty. Tamiya has released some reboxed Iterali under tamiya's name. BUt these are priced a few dollars more....

Airfix affordable but... not very detailed.

Matchbox... cheap but not detailed...

Yes I too do build. Anything and Everything. Into gundam atm. not the standard stuff but more custom stuff.

Hesagawa makes quite good 1/72 but gotta check the date of manufacture. Some old molds are quite bad with raised penal lines. Sometimes these get reboxed with new decals but same old molds. Newer ones are priced quite high. But in general Hesagawa is not cheap.

Fujimi makes pretty good models but for certian planes only. IMHO Fujimi 1/72 Skyhawks are the most detailed. Their 1/72 tomcats also come with photoetched parts and rubber wheels. These are not cheap though.

Academy makes very affordable 1/72 planes. Their newer ones are quite nicely done with recessed penal lines (F-117, F-15E, F-14). Generally ok. Some older kits are reboxed from Hesegawa molds and has raised penal lines (eg, f-16a, mig-27, mig-23, mirage 3, jaguar gr.1)

Dragon 1/72 is not bad but not much more in production. Newer ones after going under China seems to have some mold flash problems. Their armour kits seems to be better now. Aircraft... so so...

Iterali makes a wide range of 1/72. Some are reboxed east european kits (eg Mig-23, Ka-32) which are quite nice. Iterali plastic is quite soft so must be quite careful. Good range and generally ok. Some have fit problems and need putty. Tamiya has released some reboxed Iterali under tamiya's name. BUt these are priced a few dollars more....

Don't forget Fujimi Phantoms. Their 1/72 Phantoms are the most varied and include British FGR.2 and FG.1s as well.

[QUOTE=tsdh]hi Fulcrum, as per your experience, what brand of 1/72 is well detailed with affordable price?

Hi tsdh,

Ok, first it depends on your subject that you like. Here's what i think(for 1/72)...IMHO

Airfix = for post-war British subjects, this is the BEST. Quality-wise are average, but you do get obscure subjects as Javelin FAW.9R, Strikemasters, Jet Provost! Heller also reboxed some of Airfix offering. Their Su-27 Flanker has the most accurate profile(not joints tho), no kidding! Rating: 6/10

Italeri= they have the most # of heli kits! Lots of decal options! Deep-recessed panel lines make the kit look 'toyish' but with primer, this can be fixed easily. Their MiG-29 Fulcrum A is the most accurate in this scale! Not even Hasegawa/Fujimi can match. Rating: 7/10

Heller = same as Airfix.

Hasegawa = features very fine recessed panel lines(late production), good fit(mostly) but with crappy decals(has since improved). Older moulds are so-so whilist their latest offering are 1st-Class(not the decals!) Their F-104 & Drakens are very good!

Fujimi = British Phantoms!! Best 1/72 A-4 Skyhawks & A-7 Corsair! Tomcats not too bad too.

Revell-Germany = the most accurate Tornado GR.1/ECR till date. Even Hasegawa can't be match. Their F-5A/B, ex-ESCI, is still the most accurate in town.

Dragon = obscure subjects, especially WWII, Russian Su-24(not very accurate but passable). Their strength lies in their Luftwaffe 1/48 subjects!

...still have a couple more but i typed until tired liao

Good insight Fulcrum!

Not forgetting other lesser known brands like Kopro, A-model and even Zvezda who do superb releases of lesser known aircraft. Italeri and Zvezda share the same mould for some of their aircraft if I am not wrong.

Also if you're into esothoric subjects, Eastern Express do the only relatively accurate 1/72 MiG-29SMT

G'day mate,

Hmmm, we may have met each other at hobbyshop...hehe. You 'lao chiao' in this hobby??

[QUOTE=Fulcrum]
    Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    Dragon = obscure subjects, especially WWII, Russian Su-24(not very accurate but passable). Their strength lies in their Luftwaffe 1/48 subjects!
    Not to mention dragon subjects are usually incredibly detailed and have poor fit. Many have commented their 1/72 and 1/48 Ta-152H1s are overdetailed.. they come with full engines in 1/72 as well!

amazing!!! woot! gurus.. love the modelling kits alot man!!! Especially war.. but dun have the skill and time.. hehe... guess hand paint is better for me. haha. but coloring seem exp..

U guys know any paint fit for foams?
    And won't come off easily.

[QUOTE=Sausage]

Not to mention dragon subjects are usually incredibly detailed and have poor fit. Many have commented their 1/72 and 1/48 Ta-152H1s are overdetailed.. they come with full engines in 1/72 as well!

IIRC, DML reboxed Trimaster's 1/48 Ta-152. Im still seeking DML 1/144 C-141 Starlifter...super rare! And LS 1/144 C-5 Galaxy.
    Last edited by Fulcrum; 20th March 2006 at 05:59 PM.

I recall there was one boxing of the C-141 that went "C-141 Star Lizard". Is that the DML release?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    I recall there was one boxing of the C-141 that went "C-141 Star Lizard". Is that the DML release?
    Yup, it's the same. Just hoping to add to my transport/heavies collection. I just hope Trumpeter re-release their Bear in 1/144. I've both the 1/72 Tu-95 & Tu-142 but these are HUGE! I probably need a room to display them!

G'day mate,

Hmmm, we may have met each other at hobbyshop...hehe. You 'lao chiao' in this hobby??
    Hahaha! I think quite likely.... i used to be around when Far East Plaza still had a nice model shop near where the tattoo shop is now...

Or when the marina sq shop (way b4 the current layout... b4 esplanade) had a gundam showing its middle finger!

Hi tsdh,

Ok, first it depends on your subject that you like. Here's what i think(for 1/72)...IMHO

Airfix = for post-war British subjects, this is the BEST. Quality-wise are average, but you do get obscure subjects as Javelin FAW.9R, Strikemasters, Jet Provost! Heller also reboxed some of Airfix offering. Their Su-27 Flanker has the most accurate profile(not joints tho), no kidding! Rating: 6/10

Italeri= they have the most # of heli kits! Lots of decal options! Deep-recessed panel lines make the kit look 'toyish' but with primer, this can be fixed easily. Their MiG-29 Fulcrum A is the most accurate in this scale! Not even Hasegawa/Fujimi can match. Rating: 7/10

Heller = same as Airfix.

Hasegawa = features very fine recessed panel lines(late production), good fit(mostly) but with crappy decals(has since improved). Older moulds are so-so whilist their latest offering are 1st-Class(not the decals!) Their F-104 & Drakens are very good!

Fujimi = British Phantoms!! Best 1/72 A-4 Skyhawks & A-7 Corsair! Tomcats not too bad too.

Revell-Germany = the most accurate Tornado GR.1/ECR till date. Even Hasegawa can't be match. Their F-5A/B, ex-ESCI, is still the most accurate in town.

...still have a couple more but i typed until tired liao
    Thanks fulcrum.
    Surprised that Fujimi has the best british Phantoms, last time I thought their kits have no details at all (I have Fujimi 1/48 TA-4 and F-8). Probably worth to try their 1/72, do you know which shop stocks Fujimi kits?
    I found Heller and Hobbycraft are the most disappointing kits (for 1/48 size), less details, poor fits, poor decal quality.
    The picture below is my Alphajet, 1/50th scale, Heller kit. Its decals easily fall off.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast