Thread: What is the lifespan of an LCD monitor?

Default What is the lifespan of an LCD monitor?

I am wondering what is the usable (for photography) lifespan of LCD monitors. My 11 months old Dell 19" Ultrasharp monitor is being replaced (thankfully) under warranty. The monitor looks ok until I ran the calibration using an EyeOne and found that it could not reach the recommended brightness despite setting the monitor brightness to 100% (when I first had the monitor it took 15% to get the recommended value and at the last calibration took 30%). The RGB adjustments, particularly the red color, were way off from my last calibration. I suspect the backlight for red is at end of usable life. Pretty expensive to replace every year if it were not under warranty!
    Last edited by freelancer; 17th March 2006 at 12:59 PM.

Default Re: What is a lifespan of an LCD monitor?

30k - 50k hrs

u'll most likely upgrade before it dies

That was what I thought too. My monitor had around 3k hours when it start having issues with calibration. Now I am wondering whether the 30k/50k quoted are applicable for critical color use?

my viewsonic 17" has been running ~6hrs/day for the past 2.5yrs. i nv calibrate it though.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    my viewsonic 17" has been running ~6hrs/day for the past 2.5yrs. i nv calibrate it though.
    J.C once mentioned that for CRTs, anything > 3 years, it's time to change if you're doing serious imaging work on it. As the age gets older, frequent calibration becomes more necessary.

For LCDs, the lifespan is the time it takes to break down, maybe 2 years I guess, 50K if you calculate, 8hrs/day, can last u for 17 years however the colours might not reproduce that accurately anymore.

Default Re: What is the lifespan of an LCD monitor?

Now computer LCDs usually don't last over 7 years.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

In my case the LCD monitor is quite usable but not for color critical work like photo processing. I know CRTs have a usable life of around 3 years but what about LCDs. 11 months was quite surprising and I am hoping my case is not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    In my case the LCD monitor is quite usable but not for color critical work like photo processing. I know CRTs have a usable life of around 3 years but what about LCDs. 11 months was quite surprising and I am hoping my case is not the norm.
    CRTs can last a lot longer than LCDs. CRTs can usually last over 10 years.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.