Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to take the moon?

Default Re: How to take the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    not really...he just invited his fren over to let me try out my cam on a telescpe..
    Ah okie. So how was the experience? Do you think you will be going into astrophotography? A camera with a low mirror vibration is very important. That is why for planets where it is sufficiently bright, there are people going for high quality webcams instead of DSLRs.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 21st March 2006 at 10:12 AM.

Which settings to use so that your moon pic would not appear as one big spot of light?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Which settings to use so that your moon pic would not appear as one big spot of light?
    Depending on how bright the moon is. Typical exposure is around 1/125~1/250", f/4 on ISO100. You can play around that EV. But do remember that your surrounding is not that bright and at that kind of exposure it's quite likely that it is will be quite underexposed.

Here is a 50% crop from the 12mp image. Didn't have a cable release so it was slightly blurred due to vibrations. At that kind of focal length, tripods/telescope mounts and camera vibration becomes very important.
    [/QUOTE]

If no cable release, you can try setting the camera to timer mode

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Ah okie. So how was the experience? Do you think you will be going into astrophotography? A camera with a low mirror vibration is very important. That is why for planets where it is sufficiently bright, there are people going for high quality webcams instead of DSLRs.
    i've also taken a video of mars on that day via webcam, and stacked it into a photo...

eat. drink. shoot

i've also taken a video of mars on that day via webcam, and stacked it into a photo...

Nice.. Astrostack? Which webcam are you using? My scope is not on equatorial mount so I cannot do very long exposures with it unless the software is able to de-rotate (Alt-Az GOTO). I haven't been keeping up with it.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 21st March 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gundugundu
    If no cable release, you can try setting the camera to timer mode
    Timer mode and mirror-up cannot be used concurrently. I already set to delayed release, but the delay may not be long enough.

Cool!! I've never seen anyone here in Clubsnap so far who have posted a pic of Mars. Gd job!!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Nice.. Astrostack? Which webcam are you using? My scope is not on equatorial mount so I cannot do very long exposures with it unless the software is able to de-rotate (Alt-Az GOTO). I haven't been keeping up with it.
    I used Registax...webcam belong to the TASOS pres so i didn't know what model it was. mounted on a celestron telescope...
    eat. drink. shoot

Timer mode and mirror-up cannot be used concurrently. I already set to delayed release, but the delay may not be long enough.
    my cam is able to use 10sec delay + MLU concurrently..
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123