Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internal Reflection?

Default Re: Internal Reflection?

there's always the hood..
    eat. drink. shoot

But hoods don't protect the lens element.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

in what sense? drop a lens with a hood and the hood absorbs the impact, without damaging the front element...drop a lens with jus filter, the cracked filter may scratch the element behind it...

hood can also prevent flare
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    in what sense? drop a lens with a hood and the hood absorbs the impact, without damaging the front element...drop a lens with jus filter, the cracked filter may scratch the element behind it...

i was at the beach with my class some time ago and even with a 70-200 saltwater managed to splash onto the filter.

i seldom use hood as it cant seem to fit in my bag. with my 12-24 i use my free hand instead.
    Last edited by roti_prata; 19th March 2006 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar

I mean in a sense of impact directly in the direction of the front of the lens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I mean in a sense of impact directly in the direction of the front of the lens.
    do u really mean impact? filters r more to protect against smudges and scratches. u'll need kevlar to protect against impact.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    do u really mean impact? filters r more to protect against smudges and scratches. u'll need kevlar to protect against impact.
    Impact as in light impact from small objects that will scratch the surface of the glass. A filter is always more practical in this sense and only need to replace it if damaged, rather than damaging the front lens element which will cost a whole lot more than replacing the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    not true

if you are using a filter and you 'bang' the front of your lens, or the side front against something which i have done once, the filter breaks which is ok, it only costs me like 20 bucks, but the lens was fine, so in some respect it can protect against large frontal impacts

my sch junior once dropped a lens filter down. filter glass shattered, and left some scratches on the front element. if there was a hood, nth of this would have happened
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    not true

if you are using a filter and you 'bang' the front of your lens, or the side front against something which i have done once, the filter breaks which is ok, it only costs me like 20 bucks, but the lens was fine, so in some respect it can protect against large frontal impacts

wah.... now i might also need a lens hood >< anyone can recommend a lens hood for my lens?

AIS 35mm F2.

Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    wah.... now i might also need a lens hood >< anyone can recommend a lens hood for my lens?

AIS 35mm F2.
    Isn't that using HN-3? Anyway, if you noticed the reflection it is inverted. so it has to do with the internal reflections and like everyone else mention it is probably the filter.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 25th March 2006 at 05:52 PM.

Yup, changed the filter already~ now will looking into HN-3 as mentioned by Isisaxon

PS, the old filter, even holding it near my eyes can see reflection of things behind me ><

Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    Yup, changed the filter already~ now will looking into HN-3 as mentioned by Isisaxon

PS, the old filter, even holding it near my eyes can see reflection of things behind me ><
    Wah.. the filter that bad ah?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12